Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tell me about your OOT community

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:43 pm
Right now we are living in the tri state area. We would love to move to place where we could be an active part of a community, not just one of the masses. Our criteria: good schooling - my priority. I want my children in good schools with good chinuch and hashkafa. Warm shul and rav, affordable place to rent. A plus would be nice weather. Jobs we can do remotely. For personal reasons, Baltimore is not an option for us.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:52 pm
We just moved to cleveland and we love it so far!! Everyone is so so friendly and it definitely has a community feel.
Minuses- childcare options are really not great and neither is the local job market. In terms of housing and rentals there is availability but not very cheap right now.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 11:54 pm
In terms of jobs it would also depend on what you do. Tons and tons of medical obviously. A little bit of tech/engineering but nothing super exciting. Teaching/assistant jobs are always available.

doctorima

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 12:11 am
For warm weather and an established community with good schools and shuls, I'd look into Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. Miami and neighboring towns could also work, though prices there have gone up quite a bit.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right now we are living in the tri state area. We would love to move to place where we could be an active part of a community, not just one of the masses. Our criteria: good schooling - my priority. I want my children in good schools with good chinuch and hashkafa. Warm shul and rav, affordable place to rent. A plus would be nice weather. Jobs we can do remotely. For personal reasons, Baltimore is not an option for us.

"Good" schooling and "good" chinuch and hashkafa is very subjective. Generally speaking, in more OOT communities, there are fewer schools and thus they enroll a wider variety of kids from more backgrounds. IMO that is a very good thing, though for some people coming from bigger towns that can be off putting since they aren't used to it or don't see it jive with their hashkafa. So be honest with yourself if that is something you can deal with.

Based on what you've said, I recommend looking into:
Cincinnati
St Louis
Memphis
Richmond
Dallas
Phoenix
Las Vegas

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 9:37 am
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:
"Good" schooling and "good" chinuch and hashkafa is very subjective. Generally speaking, in more OOT communities, there are fewer schools and thus they enroll a wider variety of kids from more backgrounds. IMO that is a very good thing, though for some people coming from bigger towns that can be off putting since they aren't used to it or don't see it jive with their hashkafa. So be honest with yourself if that is something you can deal with.

+1
People can make better suggestions if you elaborate on your idea of "good." It will make a difference if you are MO, yeshivish, or JPF. And also if you are the more chill type of parent who is happy as long as your kid is getting the basics, or if you have really high standards in limudei kodesh or chol or both.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating