Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How can I incorporate ramen into healthy recipes?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 4:23 pm
Want something to make dinner more fun-how can I incorporate ramen noodles (without the spice packet) into a stir fry dish for example-Easy and exact instructions please? Ideas for what I can pair it with and have a healthy supper?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:18 pm
Generally the ramen's the least healthy part of a recipe. (Is there whole grain ramen?) The rest of the recipe is vegetables and protein. Use healthy sauces - nothing with sugars - and there you go.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:20 pm
Ramen (the cheap kind) is something like 400 calories for the noodles, the spice packet is garbage but the ramen itself is not (I believe) freeze dried but filled with fat.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:28 pm
Just soak the ramen in boiling water until cooked through. Drain in colander over the sink. Drizzle with oil and season heavily with salt. Serve Chinese stir fry over the ramen.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:34 pm
My question is why? 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

You can use healthy noodles that aren’t filled with fat like ramen noodles and make all kinds of healthier stir fry dishes which use buckwheat or whole wheat noodles. Even rice noodles or regular pasta is healthier.

ETA Real ramen is a delicacy with the noodles made fresh and the broth made by a talented chef. There are restaurants that specialize in ramen

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:46 pm
What about Ramen noodles makes them so fattening?

Amarante

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:49 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:

Instant ramen like you are describing are fried before being in the cup.

Real ramen noodles aren’t fried but you aren’t talking about thise. Real ramen is fresh and Japanese ramen chefs specialize in it just like master sushi chefs.

The stuff in cups is cheap garbage with loads of fat and sodium.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:56 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:

Most ramen noodles have been "dried" by frying them in palm oil. They also contain chemicals and preservatives that are dangerous.

theoretical62

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:17 pm
I am in no way an expert on ramen but I have been using lotus foods rice and millet ramen. I am under the impression that it is healthier and find it tastes almost just as good. If anyone has more knowledge about if this is fried before, you can enlighten us cuz I'm not sure...

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:20 pm
What about the ramen that comes in the flat rectangle packages? Are they also fried first?

amother
Pear

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:22 pm
I make a cabbage salad with ramen but I wouldn’t even call that healthy (but it’s tasty!)

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:23 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
What about the ramen that comes in the flat rectangle packages? Are they also fried first?

Those packages are 392 calories. 2nd ingredient is palm oil, after flour.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Those packages are 392 calories. 2nd ingredient is palm oil, after flour.

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 8:24 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Thanks!

Still a great instant option when you're in a rush.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 5:05 am
PinkFridge wrote:

I use those sometimes when I need a quick supper most kids will eat. Frozen mixed veg - carrot, peas, corn, green beans. Throw out spice pack, add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika, splash of soy sauce. Add in ramen, boiling water, and let it cook until ramen is soft.
You can get fancier, add in cooked shredded chicken or minced meat, add sliced cabbage, stirfry an egg into it, etc but this is literally 5 minutes and feels much healthier than a noodle soup, which my kids get maybe 3 times a year.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 9:31 am
yOungM0mmy wrote:
I use those sometimes when I need a quick supper most kids will eat. Frozen mixed veg - carrot, peas, corn, green beans. Throw out spice pack, add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika, splash of soy sauce. Add in ramen, boiling water, and let it cook until ramen is soft.
You can get fancier, add in cooked shredded chicken or minced meat, add sliced cabbage, stirfry an egg into it, etc but this is literally 5 minutes and feels much healthier than a noodle soup, which my kids get maybe 3 times a year.

How is this healthier or easier than using pasta or rice or other grain.

Use good chicken broth - season it to your taste - add vegetables and then use any kind of pasta or noodles they like. You can use whole wheat pasta if they will eat it.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:48 am
Lotus Foods makes a ramen from brown rice flour and millet. I think it's healthier than the regular one. I buy it for my kids. They like it.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:51 am
amother [ Ebony ] wrote:
Lotus Foods makes a ramen from brown rice flour and millet. I think it's healthier than the regular one. I buy it for my kids. They like it.

It is. (Or at least I hope it is) It’s free in weight watchers if you have free whole grain pasta.
Costco sells it.

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 12:26 pm
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
It is. (Or at least I hope it is) It’s free in weight watchers if you have free whole grain pasta.
Costco sells it.

Yup, that's where I buy it.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 12:30 pm
Lotus Foods ramen are just dried noodles in a cake form with the wavy shape. So essentially they are just whole grain noodles - only ingredients are brown rice flour and millet.

They aren't typical ramen noodles which are fried.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking