Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Is it ok to bring a large Costco babka for Shabbos lunch?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:13 am
Do you think it is ok to bring a Beigel's Costco babka to a friend's home as a dessert for Shabbos lunch? We do not eat many sweets so I do not know if people eat this for dessert. Also, is it better to bring from a bakery? I can get a larger babka from Costco and cheaper than a smaller cake at a bakery.

ChutzPAh

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:37 am
I’d buy from a bakery. A cake loaded with preservatives from Costco isn’t so nice.

torquoise

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:39 am
Sounds delicious to me!! I would love if a guest brought that! Just check that the babka is pareve

zaq

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:43 am
Why not, as long as it complies with your host's standards of kashrut?

amother
Snow

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 10:58 am
It's definitely okay but I'd rather bring something smaller from a local bakery if you have one you can get to. If not, this is fine.

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:08 am
And I would rather the Costco one!

A Costco one is very not fancy or pretentious. It is down to earth, good and large (with value). What is the image you are going for? What would she prefer?

amother
Almond

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:15 am
I don't expect to get anything from guests that come for a meal, so a babka would definitely be a nice surprise.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:26 am
I don't know why people bash Costco. They're a highly rated company with products of exceptional quality. Their kosher food is delicious and well made. I'd love it if you brought that babka to my house!

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:29 am
Is it okay? Absolutely.
Would I be excited for you to bring that to my house? No. Not particularly. But I know many others who would be and in any case I don't rely on my guests bringing anything.
Any gesture - even if it's not my cup of tea - is appreciated.

CatLady

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:30 am
Sounds awesome! Costco is known for the quality of its products, so if they decided to stock this babka, you can bet that it's good. Plus, the fact that it's supersized means that part of it can be frozen afterwards to enjoy another time. To me, it's a winner.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:38 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Is it okay? Absolutely.
Would I be excited for you to bring that to my house? No. Not particularly. But I know many others who would be and in any case I don't rely on my guests bringing anything.
Any gesture - even if it's not my cup of tea - is appreciated.

Me too, this. Also, my kids would be all over it and I would appreciate on their behalf.

singleagain

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:41 am
CatLady wrote:
Sounds awesome! Costco is known for the quality of its products, so if they decided to stock this babka, you can bet that it's good. Plus, the fact that it's supersized means that part of it can be frozen afterwards to enjoy another time. To me, it's a winner.

We do this, get club size babka cut into thirds and freeze

sky

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:42 am
Sounds great.
My biggest concern from Costco would be pas yisroel. But being it’s biegelson that is totally fine.

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:43 am
amother [ Almond ] wrote:
I don't expect to get anything from guests that come for a meal, so a babka would definitely be a nice surprise.

Not that one should expect gifts or invite people for the things the bring, but as a guest, It is inappropriate to show up empty handed.
The host spend a lot of money, time, and effort to have you. It shows hakarat hatov.
Ideally, call or when you are invited, ask what is most helpful for you to bring as you are not coming empty and you might as well be helpful as you are bringing something anyway. Best to offer a few things so they have what to pick from without worrying if they are imposing. I always offer a salad, fruit, baked dessert, or wine.
To me, salad and fruit are last minute items which I am happy to not have to deal with last minute and have someone bring. Baking also either saves me the mess of flour in my kitchen on Friday or a trip to the bakery.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:46 am
Ok? Sure.
Is it a classy thing to bring? Not really. But all depends on ur circles and whether or not you/they care about that..

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 11:51 am
Very nice of you to bring a yummy dessert.

amother
Tuberose

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 2:08 pm
Yes - I would imagine that your presence is a gift enough , the desert is an added bonus.
If it is a festive / Intimate meal maybe I would hesitate - but at the end of the day, it’s yummy and easy

amother
Strawberry

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 2:29 pm
I don't live in the US to know from a kashrus point of view, but if it was a good hechsher, then I would totally appreciate it. My kids love babka but I rarely buy it as I usually make my own cakes and cookies, but babka takes sooo much longer so I don't often make it.
I understand some people who say it isn't as classy or fancy, but you have to know your target hosts. Gifting me with a bottle of wine is wasted on me as we rarely drink. Fancy chocolates, nice, but we aren't the type of people that care.
OTOH my sil wouldn't appreciate my simple stuff, so yeah, it really depends on you and your hosts.

And I was brought up you never eat by someone without giving them something.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 3:15 pm
I don’t see a problem with it

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, May 26 2022, 3:49 pm
Come to my house for Shabbos lunch! We'll be overjoyed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note