Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
What went wrong in Texas?
  Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12

ora_43

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 12:13 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Disagree.

All school shootings are PLANNED weeks in advance. Waiting period wouldn't prevent.

Please note the subtle difference between "some" and "all." I am not claiming that waiting periods prevent all murders. That would be absurd.

Almost as absurd as claiming that "all" school shootings are planned well in advance, which is simply not true.

I'm also not the one who opposes any restrictive measures beyond a waiting period. My personal choice would involve people jumping through a lot more hoops to get a gun, even if ultimately 90% do get a gun in the end. Things like needing character witnesses, needing to pass a training session, or passing a weeks-long theory course. Basically making gun ownership almost half as hard as getting a driver's license.

Again - would it prevent all murders? No. Nothing will prevent all murders. But I'm of the (apparently radical) opinion that if we can prevent a significant chunk of murders without seriously infringing on anyone's rights, we should probably do that.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 1:22 am
You are ignoring how easy it is to get an ILLEGAL gun.

Reality

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 4:29 am
sequoia wrote:
Yeah, different culture.

I wonder why you don't feel secure when you see "your" guys armed. Is it because you don't fully trust armed Ukranians either? I'm asking because I'm a newbie in Israel, certainly not raised in a gun culture at all, and right away have felt protected by soldiers and civilians who carry. I even had family who openly carried at family gatherings. That would never happen at family parties in NY!

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:37 am
gold21 wrote:
I'm not following your logic. I'm sorry. I'm just not following at all.

The fact that this wasn't a gun free zone means nothing in light of the fact that the premises were not secured. THE PREMISES WERE NOT SECURED. The fact that it wasn't a gun free zone didn't help because, like I said, the premises were not secured.

Can you elaborate on your thought process?

You suggest that there was an armed guard in staff and that having him on staff didn't help (and your conclusion is presumably that armed guards don't help). Well, the guard wasn't there! How could he have helped? Remotely? By telepathically sending good vibrations to the school? Over Zoom? By sending good wishes? He was not there.

The premises were not secured.

Exactly. All the guns in the world outside the building didn’t do much to help the people inside. Therefore I question the familiar trope about good guys with guns.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 5:40 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Disagree.

All school shootings are PLANNED weeks in advance. Waiting period wouldn't prevent.

Do you support forced counseling and waiting period before an abortion?
Page 12 of 12   Previous  1  2  3  10  11  12 Recent Topics