Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Do you stick with your natural hair color?
Previous  1  2

Do you stick with your natural hair color?
Yes, only natural  
 28%  [ 31 ]
I try to stick with similar shades, but doesn't have a be exact  
 64%  [ 69 ]
I have fun and buy whichever color I'm in the mood of  
 6%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 107

amother
Navy

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:49 am
It’s fine so long as it matches your face/skin tone. My sister wears a light brown wig and she has dark dark brown hair. Someone once commented that my niece got her light hair from my sister LOL

amother
Pink

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 10:46 am
I went darker than my natural hair, it just looks better on me. I can’t go lighter, I look washed out as a blonde.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 10:49 am
I have black hair no highlights.
I stick with black (#1) but recently started going with a bit of highlights.
Going lighter would not work for my eyebrows or complexion

Chayalle

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 11:08 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I went darker than my natural hair, it just looks better on me. I can’t go lighter, I look washed out as a blonde.

Similar. I have very dark eyebrows. My hair is a medium brown, but my eyebrows look darker.

My last wig I went a darker, rich shade of brown, and it works with my eyebrows and skin tone. Before that, I'd get my own color and if it oxidized at all, I end up looking washed out.

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 3:51 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
It’s fine so long as it matches your face/skin tone. My sister wears a light brown wig and she has dark dark brown hair. Someone once commented that my niece got her light hair from my sister LOL

I know someone who was brown and went blond. All her kids are very blond from her husband's side, but now everyone thinks they got it from her!

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:24 pm
No. First off, it’s fun to change things up. Second, my natural hair color is virtually impossible to match. Dark ash blonde. Most sheitels are warm colors, and even if they start off ashy, they turn warm in the sun.

So what I do is this:

Auburn. I go a shade or two darker than my natural color, and the red “lifts” it so that it isn’t too dark for my complexion.

A while ago I started buying super cheap used sheitels on eBay and dying/styling them myself. Now I have an assortment of colors and lengths and styles and I’m starting to enjoy them more and more as I have the oomph to actually wear them now that my kids are past the baby years.

Aurora

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 4:31 pm
I'd love a drastically different color, but I don't think it's a good look on me.

Which means I keep wanting to buy them in say, pink, or purple, or teal.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 5:15 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
No. First off, it’s fun to change things up. Second, my natural hair color is virtually impossible to match. Dark ash blonde. Most sheitels are warm colors, and even if they start off ashy, they turn warm in the sun.

So what I do is this:

Auburn. I go a shade or two darker than my natural color, and the red “lifts” it so that it isn’t too dark for my complexion.

A while ago I started buying super cheap used sheitels on eBay and dying/styling them myself. Now I have an assortment of colors and lengths and styles and I’m starting to enjoy them more and more as I have the oomph to actually wear them now that my kids are past the baby years.

Alternatively, I found a “rooted” solution: dark roots and much lighter everything else. It’s good because dark sheitels wash me out, but too “warm” colors look ridiculous (except auburn for some reason, which I’m told looks good on almost everyone.) This one is totally synthetic, but it looks amazing, at least I think so (I don’t think it looks synthetic, and I like the colors. Both the brown and the blonde are very “cool” ashy tones). Let me try to upload a pic…

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 5:17 pm
Aurora wrote:
I'd love a drastically different color, but I don't think it's a good look on me.

Which means I keep wanting to buy them in say, pink, or purple, or teal.

Oooh do it!!! They make hair chalk, which you can use as an ultra-temporary option. You can try it out and just wash out the color if you don’t like it.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 12:13 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Alternatively, I found a “rooted” solution: dark roots and much lighter everything else. It’s good because dark sheitels wash me out, but too “warm” colors look ridiculous (except auburn for some reason, which I’m told looks good on almost everyone.) This one is totally synthetic, but it looks amazing, at least I think so (I don’t think it looks synthetic, and I like the colors. Both the brown and the blonde are very “cool” ashy tones). Let me try to upload a pic…

Wow!
Love it!
How does it look so natural?
What's your trick?

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 1:08 am
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:
Wow!
Love it!
How does it look so natural?
What's your trick?

Thanks!

Not sure if these qualify as “tricks” or if everybody already knows these, but for what it’s worth:

- It’s a lace front. The little baby hairs sticking up in the front are mine (my hair is boy-short at the moment, and it’s nothing more than what might stick out of a tichel, but if you’re really careful about that kind of thing, ignore this part!). You can see my natural color if you look at the flyaways by my ear (which were NOT supposed to be sticking out, but when hair is really short it’s hard to keep it from listening all the way, I guess).

2. I lined up the part with the highest point on my own natural hairline and parted my hair accordingly.

3. I put a tiny bit of makeup (foundation) on the lace where I parted the hair. I blended it into my forehead. It makes the edge of the lace look more invisible. I learned this tip from a YouTube video about making lace front wigs look more natural. You can also make other color adjustments this way by tinting the roots at the part with pressed powder, etc. but make sure you spray it with hairspray if you want it not to rub off easily.

4. I secured the wig to my head in a way that it lays the most flat. My favorite way is to use those tiny little mini rubber bands to make itty bitty ponytails right in the front, and then push the sheitel comb into them. (I’m talking about ponytails of only a few strands of hair.) It’s also the most comfortable way I know to secure sheitels. No pulling or tightness or need to braid anything or hide any bulk.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 1:26 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Thanks!

Not sure if these qualify as “tricks” or if everybody already knows these, but for what it’s worth:

- It’s a lace front. The little baby hairs sticking up in the front are mine (my hair is boy-short at the moment, and it’s nothing more than what might stick out of a tichel, but if you’re really careful about that kind of thing, ignore this part!). You can see my natural color if you look at the flyaways by my ear (which were NOT supposed to be sticking out, but when hair is really short it’s hard to keep it from listening all the way, I guess).

2. I lined up the part with the highest point on my own natural hairline and parted my hair accordingly.

3. I put a tiny bit of makeup (foundation) on the lace where I parted the hair. I blended it into my forehead. It makes the edge of the lace look more invisible. I learned this tip from a YouTube video about making lace front wigs look more natural. You can also make other color adjustments this way by tinting the roots at the part with pressed powder, etc. but make sure you spray it with hairspray if you want it not to rub off easily.

4. I secured the wig to my head in a way that it lays the most flat. My favorite way is to use those tiny little mini rubber bands to make itty bitty ponytails right in the front, and then push the sheitel comb into them. (I’m talking about ponytails of only a few strands of hair.) It’s also the most comfortable way I know to secure sheitels. No pulling or tightness or need to braid anything or hide any bulk.

Wow, you sound like a real pro!
Enjoy playing around with it!
I bet everyone is surprised when they hear that it's a wig...

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 1:33 am
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:
Wow, you sound like a real pro!
Enjoy playing around with it!
I bet everyone is surprised when they hear that it's a wig...

Lol I’m the least expert-y sheitel wearer, I just played around with it and scrounged for tips online until I got comfortable wearing them. I’m a 1st generation hair coverer, so it’s been a journey without a map.

This one looks extremely natural, yes. A few people have been surprised by it. I had a few people ask if I stopped covering. Which was simultaneously flattering and confusing lol. The downside to this one is that since it’s synthetic, it loses its freshness fast. It gets a little tangly and “fluffy” after several hours of wear. If it was real hair it would be a 10/10 though. But also probably out of my price range. All in all it’s a win.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels