Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Sinaya

Amarante

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 6:57 am
This was very good and reminded me of moussaka. I have never eaten "authentic" Sinaya so I don't know how this version compares. 🤷🏼‍♀️ 🤷🏼‍♀️

SINAYA

Excerpt From: Einat Admony - Balaboosta

Serves 4 to 6

This is a Palestinian Arab dish that will rock your world. If you can get your hands on a terra-cotta dish, use it to prepare and serve the sinaya in. Layer in the tomato, the fried eggplant, the ground beef that’s mixed with spices and pine nuts, and finally a thick helping of tahini—then slide it all into the oven until the tahini becomes crusty. This is Palestinian comfort food at its best.

1 large eggplant
Kosher salt

5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground lamb
2 teaspoons Baharat (page 264)
2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
ÂĽ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
â…“ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts

TAHINI SAUCE

Âľ cup tahini
â…“ cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup water
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon kosher salt

1 loaf crusty bread

Cut the eggplant into ÂĽ-inch-thick slices and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit for 1 hour to allow the excess moisture to drip off.

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Combine all the ingredients for the tahini sauce in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside until ready to use.

Place the eggplant slices in a large baking dish and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and place the tomato slices on top of the eggplant. Set the baking dish aside but keep the oven on.

Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the ground beef and lamb and season with the baharat, paprika, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper. Cook for another 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Drain off the excess liquid and transfer the ground meat to the baking dish with the eggplant and tomato slices. Spread a generous layer of tahini sauce on the top, about ÂĽ inch thick. Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.

Garnish with the pine nuts and serve

BAHARAT

Makes about 1â…“ cups

in arabic baharat means “spices” and refers to a blend of spices. This combination of spices, which can improve even the most inedible dishes, changes from region to region, from one dish to another; its use varies from lamb to fish, from chicken to pickles. Here is the combination of spices I prefer, and I think it goes with everything. I use it in Chamusta (page 95), Sinaya (page 98) and Really-Not-so-Short Ribs (page 188).

2 tablespoons ground black pepper
3 tablespoons allspice
3 tablespoons ground coriander
5 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground cloves
3 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon dried lemon zest (optional)
4 teaspoons dried ginger (optional)

Combine all the ingredients together until well mixed. Store in an airtight jar and keep away from direct sunlight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics