Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Prepping chicken and potatoes in advance

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 11:02 am
I just prepped chicken and potatoes. wondering if it's better to make it now and then have to re-warm it for shabbos or can I put it in the fridge raw and then take it around 4:00 to cook so that it's fresh? not sure if the potatoes will brown....

Amarante

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 11:08 am
It depends on the recipe. In my opinion chicken is always better cooked fresh and in general you can prep chicken ahead of time and it generally even tastes better because the spices and marinade has more time to permeate and flavor the meat.

I don't know about the potatoes but generally you can prevent potatoes from oxidizing by immersing them in cold water which slows the process AND adding some acid like lemon juice or vinegar slows it even further.

So an ideal recipe would be a lemon chicken with potatoes.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 11:44 am
I usually prepare a pan of chicken and potatoes on Friday and put it straight in the oven. One week, I had an appt Friday afternoon so I as planning to prepare the chicken in the pan and cut up the potatoes and leave them in water. But I went on autopilot and by mistake did the same thing I do every week, cut potatoes in the pan, mix them with oil and spices, put the chicken on top and spice it. I realized too late that the potatoes were in there. I took the whole pan and refrigerated it, then baked it Friday afternoon. It was totally fine, potatoes were not brown or anything. And I've done it plenty of times since, now that I know it works.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 27 2022, 2:10 pm
thank you ecru!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note