Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you pack your dishwasher on shabbos?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 1:58 pm
I was always told you are not allowed to load the dishwasher (even ones that are off and don’t have any lights or beeps) because it is performing a melacha for after shabbos on shabbos. This is not the way I was raised. Does anyone do this and have a source?

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 1:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was always told you are not allowed to load the dishwasher (even ones that are off and don’t have any lights or beeps) because it is performing a melacha for after shabbos on shabbos. This is not the way I was raised. Does anyone do this and have a source?

I do it so there is space in my sink, and because I don’t want to see/smell the dirty dirty dishes

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:00 pm
Yikes. We certainly load.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:01 pm
Can anyone bring me a source I can show dh? I so badly want to and with a 3 day yom Tov…..

amother
Quince

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:02 pm
We put things in the dishwasher straight from the table, because they need to go somewhere, but don't rinse them first, and if they make it into the sink they stay there till after shabbos.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:03 pm
I was taught not to do it, but then saw it done in my Rebbetzen's house and I asked her about it and if you're doing it not to have in mind to get to running the dishwasher right after shabbos but rather to clear needed sink and counter space and the clutter is ruining your shabbos, you can do it.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:04 pm
I was told the same, so I just load it haphazardly. No order, and then rearrange on motzaei shabbos

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:04 pm
Exactly the same story as above, my rebbetzin does it

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:05 pm
Will your rebbetzin give me a psak hehe

Raisin

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:11 pm
just to clear the clutter. So cups and plates piled up. After shabbos I take out and rinse and restack properly. You are just using the dishwasher as a storage space.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:14 pm
I don't for that reason.
But I don't mind the dirty dishes in the sink and we're not that many people

twizzlers1

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:19 pm
We ate Friday night dinner by our Rav and she 100% rinsed and loaded all the dishes. I have always done it so really never knew it was a question but after seeing her doing it last week I definitely feel comfortable saying that maybe not everyone does it but it seems like it is definitely acceptable obviously everybody has to ask their own Rav

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:22 pm
I don’t rinse, I just put everything. I also leave my washing machine open in case I need to put soiled clothing in there, cuz I don’t want it sitting in the hamper getting everything wet and making it smell.
Edit: then again, my washing machine is always open unless it’s running, so it doesn’t get smelly. I don’t leave it open specifically on shabbos.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:26 pm
Just so interesting cause I never knew there was a question about it. When I was growing up we loaded the dishwasher. I think my Mom did rinse the plates after Shabbat.

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:39 pm
I was told I can put a pile of dishes in just to get it out of the way, but to make sure I put it in a way that I will need to rearrange it after shabbos before washing.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 2:49 pm
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
I do it so there is space in my sink, and because I don’t want to see/smell the dirty dirty dishes

Same I had smelly dishes sitting around. I do rinse before and load properly bec it’s automatic for me to load the dishwasher that way and also takes up less space.

imasinger

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 3:13 pm
On YT, the switched off dishwasher is my drying rack for the dishes I've washed and will be using by the next seudah.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 8:44 pm
So interesting that there are so many variables

Chayalle

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 8:51 pm
So it's been awhile, don't want to quote exactly, but we have a set of Rabbi Ribiat's Seforim on Hilchos Shabbos, and he says you can't do it if your goal is to prepare for after Shabbos...but if your goal is to clear off your counters ON Shabbos, and you are careful not to do Borer (no sorting, etc...) you can do it.

I hate cluttered counters with dirty dishes, I'm a mefuneket about that, so it's for sure about a clean kitchen on Shabbos for me. I load each course's dishes into the dishwasher as I clear, to avoid any sorting.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, May 29 2022, 8:59 pm
Raisin wrote:
just to clear the clutter. So cups and plates piled up. After shabbos I take out and rinse and restack properly. You are just using the dishwasher as a storage space.

Curious to know why you don't just shove the dishes in the oven, since using the dishwasher for haphazard storage isn't saving you any work and if you use the oven you don't have a mar'is ayin issue. I unplug the stove erev Shabbos so no lights or anything go on when I open the oven door.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note