Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Am I the only person who loves 3 day YT?
Previous  1  2  3

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 9:16 pm
I like that my husband isn’t working and not busy on his phone.
But my phone is my distraction when I have anxiety which I get a lot when my kids are all home.
Don’t live near family. Most friends and many neighbors are away. Long hot days cranky kids small house no yard.
Yeah. Not my favorite.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 9:23 pm
NewYorkgal31 wrote:
They have some amazing shabbous makeup out their/ was a total game changer for me.

Which do you find amazing?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 9:44 pm
This year I’m having a parent come from out of town . It’s going to be very hard. This parent is very bitter and everything comes out as such. This parent has physical limitations so can’t get out much. This parent completely wears me down . I have little kids and big kids and it’s just a lot to manage . Because this parent is coming I wasn’t able to accept an invitation. It is endless cooking, cleaning and prep even keeping it simple and with hired help, and helpful husband. I’m not looking forward.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 10:56 pm
I’m starting to like yom Tov and shabbos more and more. I love having a break from technology when my family and friends are living in the moment and not distracted with their phones and gadgets. 3 days of that is nice.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 12:34 am
I love 3-day YTs! So nice to be able to daven, learn, shmooze with my teens, chat with my husband, eat good food, without the hectic pace of life we normally have. Me’ein olam haba!

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 10:32 am
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
I do enjoy that my Rov said I can wash my hair taking precautions with sechita etc. Otherwise the itching drove me crazy. I also wash up the areas that need it.

I do not love having makeup that won't stay on as I don't like how I look when it all comes off. I just spend $50 at Sephora for eye primer and two long lasting eye liners (one says 36 hour!!!! One says 24! ! So I hope if I layer them...)

I also stocked up on some new books I hope to have time to read. And I am by no means doing all the cooking myself.

I hope to have someone willing to take out the garbage (some family members are very machmir which drives me NUTS!)

So, those who enjoy the 3 days, please provide some survival tips!

Please tell me what precautions you take. I have seborrhea dermatitis on my head and have to wash it on a daily basis. Two day yom tovim are very hard and three days are torture.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 10:44 am
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
I would, if I didn't get so sweaty. By the time the second day is over I am counting the hours until I can shower.

Ask your Rav about washing on YT. My Rav said that when I wash the dishes I can leave the hot water running and fill a bucket. I then use that bucket of warm water, with a little liquid shower gel, to wash myself. It's a game changer for me. (and you should see how fast my girls volunteer to do the dishes so they can fill buckets for themselves....)

I love YT. I love relaxing, spending time with family, going to shul, change from work, etc....I love all of it.

But yeah Motzei YT it's a race for the shower....

shnitzel

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 11:15 am
I love it, just having a hard time balancing all the food prep and time that takes away from work. I love having guests and nice yontif meals but it’s time consuming and I have very little time.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 2:22 pm
Well, bucket of hot water from sink sounds like a good trick.

Hair: Take an almost empty bottle of shampoo and add water before YT.

I didn't have the hot water idea so just used a negel vasser cup to pour cold water over head.
then pour diluted shampoo all over.

then pour more cold water until you feel you got the shampoo out

(I suppose you could try putting just your head under a cold shower. From what I understand you're not supposed to do whole body but can put one part at a time under shower. I find cup easier.)

wrap hair VERY gently in a towel. Or three. Don't squeeze.

I like a microfiber terry turban to sit in for a while.

Only problem now is getting hair into ponytail once it's dry.

little neshamala

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 2:36 pm
shnitzel wrote:
I love it, just having a hard time balancing all the food prep and time that takes away from work. I love having guests and nice yontif meals but it’s time consuming and I have very little time.

I prepare all foods in advance. Every last thing. I simply reheat on yom tov. Even the salad dressings are made in advance. Its worth it for me to stay up late and have a crazy week the week before yom tov, and then have solid vacation on yom tov itself.

If I was busy cooking food on yomtov I wouldnt feel nearly as relaxed

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 10:04 pm
My therapist gave me a great idea today.

Just because nobody around here wants to take out the garbage on Shabbos & YT, doesn't mean I'm stuck!!!!
True, it's very difficult for me to take out a full bag. But, I can actually take it out myself when it's half full. This would NEVER have occurred to me! It's just a reflex that I don't think of taking it out until it's full.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 10:11 pm
steak4me wrote:
As someone who’s childhood yamim tovim were just nightmares, I love it! It’s so calm, such good food and just quality time with my husband kids and even neighbors

I could have written every word. Also, I stock up on some good books...ahhh!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics