Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Social/Emotion Behavioral Challenging Kids in Schools

AdinaBB

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 8:55 pm
Does anyone have suggestions for schools that can handle girls with Social/Emotional/Behavioral Challenges well?
We live in a smaller out of town community and are finding it VERY challenging to find a school that can accommodate our 11 year old daughter. Especially because we keep being told that her specific set of challenges often come with learning disabilities but her for her she is in the gifted category which makes schools even more nervous to take her. At his point her option is public school which we are obviously not excited about.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 9:03 pm
Are you open to moving or you need to stay where you are?

AdinaBB

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 9:07 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Are you open to moving or you need to stay where you are?

we would move. At this point were looking anywhere and everywhere.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 10:52 pm
If the school allows classroom help obviously that's the best option
The next to best option I guess would say is moving to the New York City area because they literally have schools for every single type of category child. I say this as a former admin in a special school.

singsong

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:24 pm
Look into Yotzer Ohr Miami. They have a dorm, so you wouldn't necessarily have to move.

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:38 pm
I have such a child. She’s in the regular school of our chassidus, and while they’re complaining, they’re not going to kick her out. I recently enrolled her in a government funded Jewish agency that will help me find her the right services as well as help me in speaking to the school. It wasn’t an easy decision. I didn’t want to be “that” family. But my daughter needs help, and so do I, in navigating her challenges.
If no school where you live will take her then yes, I guess your options are to move, homeschool, or put her in public school.
If I could’ve chosen a school for my daughter I’d try for something Montessori inspired like gan yisrael. But we are too chassidish for that, and it would be confusing for her, as she’s a very black n white thinker.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics