Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Chicken soup in crockpot Shavuos night

PSmommy

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 12:59 pm
I'm making chicken soup for Friday night and want to serve it again the next night, Shavuos night.
I have a hot plate. Would the soup have enough time to warm up after Shabbos?
If not, can I keep it in a crockpot and serve it twice?
How would I even make it in a crockpot?

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 2:23 pm
I've made soup in the crock pot. Just put in the chicken, vegetables water, and however you normally season it. Make sure to start earlier on the day to make sure it is cooked before Shabbos.

I've never tried leaving it for over 24 hours. Technically, I don't see why it should be any more of an issue than leaving chulent for a similar period, and some people put chicken soup back on the platta and serve again for Shabbos lunch, so I suppose it should be ok.

Halachically speaking I'm not sure. Some people hold that putting the pot back in the crock on Shabbos is an issue. You should check with your Rav first.

Then what are you going to do? Leave the crock pot on for three days? I don't think that would do it any good. Maybe you could start with a cold or room temperature first course and serve the soup for a different meal when it would be easier to heat up?

MiracleMama

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 2:27 pm
I often make chicken soup for shabbos day in the crock pot. It's good tasting, but it isn't that pretty golden color. It turns brown, like a beef broth. The flavor is more intense. We like it but others might not. And veggies get really soft. There is also a certain amount of evaporation. I can't imagine putting soup up in the crock pot before shabbos to serve motzei shabbos is going to yield a great result, and if you're already eating a good amount of it on shabbos, there won't be much in the pot to serve.

thanks

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 3:10 pm
Depending on your crockpot, you may not be allowed to take some soup out Friday night while it's still on. You may have seen people line the crockpot with aluminum foil for this reason. You would need to lift the crockpot, take out some soup, and then put it back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics