Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Jewish History of Austria

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 3:36 pm
HI,

My child is having a school project and needs to find out about the Jewish history of Austria.

Please help me out here. Both parents in this household aren't into history!

TIA!

GLUE

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 3:40 pm
Call the teacher and ask for reference material.

Ask how is my child going to do this project? Were is my child suppose to look up stuff? How can my child do this project if we don't know were to begin?

Is this helpful?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 31 2022, 3:40 pm
I'd google. Maybe throw in names of historians like Rabbi Wein, shlita. And Rabbi Dr. Dovid Katz of Baltimore has history podcasts. Hatzlacha!
And of course there are books - Rabbi Wein's, Yaffa Ganz's Sand and Stars, not sure what else.
What support does the school offer? Does the teachers' resource room have books?
How old is the child? Do make sure that s/he owns the ultimate assignment.

mitzva

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
HI,

My child is having a school project and needs to find out about the Jewish history of Austria.

Please help me out here. Both parents in this household aren't into history!

TIA!

do you read yiddish?
if yes, I can email you a chapter of "yiddish leben in ungarin".

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:03 am
mitzva wrote:
do you read yiddish?

Ungarin is Hungary, not Austria.

My father grew up in Vienna. However his parents settled there after the Holocaust, so our family history is not Austrian.

One amazing story that pops into my mind though is the fish that is buried in the Jewish cemetary. There's a story that someone took a fish for Kaparos (not everyone uses chickens!) and the fish said Shma Yisrael. They realized the fish must've been a gilgul, and it is buried in the Jewish cemetary in Vienna, with a fish carved on the headstone.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:05 am
https://www.claimscon.org/our-.....nity/

I got to this by googling "Jewish History of Austria".

mitzva

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:15 am
Chayalle wrote:

My father grew up in Vienna. However his parents settled there after the Holocaust, so our family history is not Austrian.

One amazing story that pops into my mind though is the fish that is buried in the Jewish cemetary. There's a story that someone took a fish for Kaparos (not everyone uses chickens!) and the fish said Shma Yisrael. They realized the fish must've been a gilgul, and it is buried in the Jewish cemetary in Vienna, with a fish carved on the headstone.

What difference does it make whether Hungary is not Austria.

If the book has a chapter on Austria, the book has a chapter on Austria.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:25 am
mitzva wrote:
What difference does it make whether Hungary is not Austria.

If the book has a chapter on Austria, the book has a chapter on Austria.

Your post says you can send her a chapter on Jewish Life in Ungarin. That's Hungary.

Does the book have a chapter on Jewish life in Austria (in yiddish that would be Ostereich)? You did not say that in your post.

Austria and parts of Hungary did share rulership at various points (the Austro-Hungarian empire, ruled by the Hapsburg dynasty), so it does make sense that a book on history in Hungary might include a chapter on history in Austria.

mitzva

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:27 am
Chayalle wrote:
Your post says you can send her a chapter on Jewish Life in Ungarin. That's Hungary.

Does the book have a chapter on Jewish life in Austria (in yiddish that would be Ostereich)? You did not say that in your post.

Austria and parts of Hungary did share rulership at various points (the Austro-Hungarian empire, ruled by the Hapsburg dynasty), so it does make sense that a book on history in Hungary might include a chapter on history in Austria.

I guess I did not come across clear.
I can email her a chapter (that talks exclusively about Austria) from a book called "Yiddish leben in Ungarin".

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:28 am
mitzva wrote:
I guess I did not come across clear.
I can email her a chapter (that talks exclusively about Austria) from a book called "Yiddish leben in Ungarin".

Got it!

nechami1

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:39 am
You should find a page on Wikipedia about Jewish life in Austria. Also type in Burgenland region.
My grandmother came from there on the Kindertransport and I know that before the war there were the "sheva kehillas' - seven separate towns in Burgenland Austria including Eisenstadt, Mattersberg (Mattersdorf), Deutchskrauz (the Yidden referred to this one as Tzelem)

I dont know much about them but here are the others taken from Wikipedia
Neusiedl am See (administrative center Neusiedl am See)
Eisenstadt-Umgebung (Eisenstadt)
Mattersburg (Mattersburg)
Oberpullendorf (Oberpullendorf)
Oberwart (Oberwart)
Güssing (Güssing)
Jennersdorf (Jennersdorf)

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 11:17 am
The sheva kehillos of Burgenland were Mattersdorf, Eisenstadt, Frauenkirchen, Lackenbach, Deutschkreutz-Tzehlem, Kobersdorf and Kittsee.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 9:56 pm
mitzva wrote:
do you read yiddish?

Yes, I do!

Thank you!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 9:56 pm
Chayalle wrote:

I neve heard of that story!! What is it? Do you know the details?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics