Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Have you gotten funds for your child with autism?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 1:36 pm
Hi,
I'm currently trying to take advantage of any public funds/grants for my child with autism. I am paying tens of thousands of dollars yearly for therapy, equipment etc. and am unable to afford it. I don't think we're eligible for SSI because we have assets (we own our home). I'm wondering if anyone was able to get any funds/grants from any of the many foundations I see online? Thanks so much! Tizku l'mitzvos.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:05 pm
OPWDD ?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 2:08 pm
I have OPWDD. I have no benefits from it. It's impossible to find qualified respite/comm hab workers that could handle my child who are willing to get paid so minimally. What else can OPWDD offer me? I need actual cash more than anything else...

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 5:11 pm
Did you try self direction with the Opwdd ? The way I understand it is that they give you the funds to be used for the care of the child the way you see fit. For therapy equipment. Call your care manager and ask her for it.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 6:38 pm
Please call bravercare. I work there and they are paying 70 an hour for CATS service which is similar to comhab to people with a BA degree. Kids with emotional or medical disorders will qualify. Lmk if you have any questions.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 6:57 pm
what's CATS? I don't think my child is eligible for that.

potatoes

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 8:07 pm
Community class through self direction, they allow to be paid, a lot.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 8:14 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Please call bravercare. I work there and they are paying 70 an hour for CATS service which is similar to comhab to people with a BA degree. Kids with emotional or medical disorders will qualify. Lmk if you have any questions.
Where is this agency located?

yidisheh mama

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 8:47 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Where is this agency located?

Not amother above, but I recently saw an ad that Hand in hand switched their name to Braverhood/Bravercare. They're in Brooklyn

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 8:51 pm
Most emotional issues and medical diagnoses can qualify. Many many children with anxiety are getting services right now.please call for more information.

newmother

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 9:04 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

You can not get opwdd and Health homes/ hcbs at the same time so calling bravercare won't help. Your best bet is to use opwdd self direction and apply the funds to the therapies that you need and are paying for out of pocket

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 9:06 pm
I applied for self-direction but I'm many months (or years) away from being approved. Meanwhile, I'm drowning in expenses and have no government assistance. I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing somthing... Is there anything else I'm supposed to be doing?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 9:08 pm
It might be more worth it for you to switch to children's waiver program since you mainly need staff which won't work for the OPWDD rate.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 9:11 pm
What's children's waiver program?

Zehava

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 9:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have OPWDD. I have no benefits from it. It's impossible to find qualified respite/comm hab workers that could handle my child who are willing to get paid so minimally. What else can OPWDD offer me? I need actual cash more than anything else...

Are you going through a Jewish agency or just trying to find the workers yourself?
I remember they used to reimburse for toys/equipment. Not sure if they’re still doing that.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 9:32 pm
Zehava wrote:
Are you going through a Jewish agency or just trying to find the workers yourself?
I remember they used to reimburse for toys/equipment. Not sure if they’re still doing that.

They don’t, but Hamaspik helps in many other ways.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 9:39 pm
I'm going through a Jewish agency. Nobody said anything about reimbursement for toys/equipment. Maybe once self-direction is approved....

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 9:46 pm
If ur main concern is getting staff and paying them higher rate then look for a children's waiver program such as bravercare or comfort health. If you want community classes summer camp and memberships then stay with self direction. Btw OPWDD is for life while children's waiver is only for 21 and under

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 10:11 pm
I saw an ad in the bp view or torah times that if your eligible for opwdd you can get money for rent etc

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 01 2022, 10:16 pm
Where would I find that ad? I was getting comfort health at one point and didn't benefit from it either, so I switched to OPWDD.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics