Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
What can an allergist do for a 3 month old
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 2:05 am
My newborn has severe allergies. He breaks out from formula, nursing and just sleeping. He screams all day. My dr is sending me to the mt Sinai group. Wondering what to expect and can they do scratch testing so young?

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 2:25 am
Most likely you'll walk out with a big tube of steroids, be told to shmear him all over, and then you'll probably watch your life spiral out of control as the eczema creeps and spreads and becomes more severe, with burning and flaking and oozing.

Sometimes the solution is worse than the problem. Be extremely careful.

(And no, I'm not an antivaxxer, I do give antibiotics, and *gasp* I let my kids eat MSG.)

IMO

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 2:28 am
Is he solely formula feeding?
If so, switch to different formulas (non dairy) until you find something that works. Most common allergy is cows milk.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 2:34 am
Mostly nursing and on neocate.

Ma3

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 2:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My newborn has severe allergies. He breaks out from formula, nursing and just sleeping. He screams all day. My dr is sending me to the mt Sinai group. Wondering what to expect and can they do scratch testing so young?

Ami just had article recently about group of mothers with kids of severe allergies. I think they have chat and can help you with ideas. Every kid with allergies/eczema has something else that was helpful. No two cases are equal. Coming from that same place. My 10 yr old was literally allergic to everything and it was extremely difficult. Don't know what the Mt. Sinai group does, but for me alternative healing helped. I was very skeptical and tried all medical doctors, allergists, you name it... Everything helped to some degree and for a short amount of time. Healing started the minute I got to Dr Anteby from Flatbush. Bh, child is now a different kid. Still has some allergies which I still plan to work on. Was able to tell instantly what foods to eliminate. Same with detergents, cleaning supplies etc. Wishing you much hatzlacha jn finding the right shaliach to help your baby!

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 4:31 am
We did skin testing around 6 months and identified foods that I had to keep out of my diet. It was also important to know as we started solid foods that I couldn't feed her anything that touched eggs.

We also discovered she was allergic to an ingredient in the moisturizer I was using and had to switch brands

IMO

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Mostly nursing and on neocate.

Ah, different story. FYI your nursing is amazing for his inflamed gut so well done and keep it up if you can.

Much more effective than going to an allergist is for you to cut out the main allergens, which are gluten, soy, dairy, nuts, eggs etc..you can read it all up on Google. Freetofeed is a good resource on Instagram. You need to eliminate even traces.
Once you have eliminated it all (I know it’s hard but this stage is very temporary), you will see baby is completely happy and not reacting anymore.

Then, you introduce one allergen. If there’s no reaction after a week or so of you eating it, introduce the next. Eventually, you will have narrowed it down to his allergens and you’ll stay off them100% until he outgrows it/them or you stop nursing.
Save dairy and soy till last because they are the most common allergens.

I do this with all my babies, they have all been sensitive to 1 or 2 allergens.
PM if you’d like more help.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:33 am
They will help get his eczema under control by controlling your diet and seeing what he is allergic to. Inflamed eczema is painful. I had my son itching from 2 weeks old. He has a lot of environmental allergies. But getting him under control and be guided correctly will for sure help

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 8:51 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Most likely you'll walk out with a big tube of steroids, be told to shmear him all over, and then you'll probably watch your life spiral out of control as the eczema creeps and spreads and becomes more severe, with burning and flaking and oozing.

Sometimes the solution is worse than the problem. Be extremely careful.

(And no, I'm not an antivaxxer, I do give antibiotics, and *gasp* I let my kids eat MSG.)

This is absolutely not true. Allergists are not known for prescribing steroids.

Op, I had kids tested even younger than that. Yes they did thorough, accurate testing. We eliminated the allergic foods and changed our lives. My kids were suffering terribly. I encourage anyone with allergy symptoms to test asap at any age.

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 8:53 am
IMO wrote:
Ah, different story. FYI your nursing is amazing for his inflamed gut so well done and keep it up if you can.

Much more effective than going to an allergist is for you to cut out the main allergens, which are gluten, soy, dairy, nuts, eggs etc..you can read it all up on Google. Freetofeed is a good resource on Instagram. You need to eliminate even traces.
Once you have eliminated it all (I know it’s hard but this stage is very temporary), you will see baby is completely happy and not reacting anymore.

Then, you introduce one allergen. If there’s no reaction after a week or so of you eating it, introduce the next. Eventually, you will have narrowed it down to his allergens and you’ll stay off them100% until he outgrows it/them or you stop nursing.
Save dairy and soy till last because they are the most common allergens.

I do this with all my babies, they have all been sensitive to 1 or 2 allergens.
PM if you’d like more help.

I don't see why an elimination diet is more effective than testing and knowing for sure. My kids have some random allergies that I would have never thought to eliminate without testing. Not all allergies are from the most common ones. This method can take months, all while a tiny baby is suffering. Our testing has always been accurate.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 8:54 am
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:

Op, I had kids tested even younger than that. Yes they did thorough, accurate testing. We eliminated the allergic foods and changed our lives. My kids were suffering terribly. I encourage anyone with allergy symptoms to test asap at any age.

Sure they test young the older they are the more accurate, and I will reiterate what you said docs don’t just prescribe steroids they do try and y
Get expensive under control and like my doc told me different creams not steroids that will relieve him and she said if you have pic day you can do a drop of cortisone.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 8:56 am
I don't see why an elimination diet is more effective than testing and knowing for sure. My kids have some random allergies that I would have never thought to eliminate without testing. Not all allergies are from the most common ones. This method can take months, all while a tiny baby is suffering. Our testing has always been accurate.

This is very true I had a neighbor who’s child suffered and she tried for months elimination she finally went to allergist her kids was allergic to garlic she went off that the kid was fine an odd allergy but that’s what her kid had

taketwo

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:25 am
Do not do an elimination diet without your doctors directions. Go to that appointment, see what the doctor has to say, and then do your own research before fully implementing.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:33 am
We did allergy testing on my exclusively breastfed six month old with bad eczema.allergic to milk and eggs. Cutting them out of my diet did nothing. Not to hijack the thread but what now

monseymom25

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:35 am
OP my son saw an allergist at 3 months old. They did blood work and determined 3 food allergies. I was nursing him so I stopped eating those things. It took 6 weeks and his eczema cleared up.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:36 am

In my experience it is. And I have extensive experience.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:38 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
We did allergy testing on my exclusively breastfed six month old with bad eczema.allergic to milk and eggs. Cutting them out of my diet did nothing. Not to hijack the thread but what now

It can be environmental also

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:47 am
bh didn't have such severe case as you are describing, but had amazing experience with dr. Sandra Seigal in westchester.

And no! you don't just walk out with a tub of cortisone to shmear on entire child!
Don't cut out entire food groups like dairy from your diet if you don't know if that is what he is allergic to. Firstly because it is important for him to get whatever nutrition he can and also if you cut out a food group for a while the child can actually develop an allergy to it.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:50 am
amother [ Mulberry ] wrote:
It can be environmental also

Did you go to a really good allergist? I have gone first to one. He did testing and that was it. zero follow up or plan....

Then I went to another allergist who worked with me. We were in touch. Try different ways. Not just keep off these two foods and have a nice life... You need a doctor that you can try something and then follow up and then make changes until you hopefully find a good path. Loads of luck

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:55 am
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
Did you go to a really good allergist? I have gone first to one. He did testing and that was it. zero follow up or plan....

Then I went to another allergist who worked with me. We were in touch. Try different ways. Not just keep off these two foods and have a nice life... You need a doctor that you can try something and then follow up and then make changes until you hopefully find a good path. Loads of luck

I go to dr Segal In westchester!! She’s amazing I actually tried 3 before her and was not happy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics