Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Pastrami roast help
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:05 pm
Made a naval pastrami for shabbos day. How do I warm it? Can I keep it in oven on 200 from when shabbos starts overnight until lunch? ( it’s already fully cooked) or will that ruin it? Should it be warmed up with liquid or dry? Was soooo expensive want to make sure it get served in best way possible … thx

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Made a naval pastrami for shabbos day. How do I warm it? Can I keep it in oven on 200 from when shabbos starts overnight until lunch? ( it’s already fully cooked) or will that ruin it? Should it be warmed up with liquid or dry? Was soooo expensive want to make sure it get served in best way possible … thx

I put it in the cholent and was so soft and delicious

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:29 pm
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
I put it in the cholent and was so soft and delicious

Agreed but I found that it gave the cholent itself a flavor I didn't love so just beware.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:37 pm
It’s not a chunk it’s a huge pastrami roast ($100 worth) - it would not fit with my chulent and I also have some children that are intolerant of chulent and will x touch the meat if it comes from the chulent. I need a different way to be able to serve it think like I guess any other roast or meat can be left in the oven overnight or will get ruined? How do they serve hot pastrami At a shabbos day kiddush/ Simcha? How does that staying warm? Will an oven ruin it ? That’s the question

Dobby

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:39 pm
Yes the oven will dry it out

shnitzel

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:41 pm
You can bake it on low tightly covered submerged in water. Should come out nice and soft.

benny

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:49 pm
I do it all the time. Put it in the oven covered tightly before shabbos on 200. Leave it in the bag. Should be soft and yum

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 7:54 pm
Would have been best to put it in the oven raw before shabbos, still sealed in vacuum bag, submerged I'm water.
But since it's large you should still be able to get good results. Seal it in a snug pan with just a bit of water at the bottom so it can steam. Double wrap with foil tightly. Then place another pan of water on the shelf beneath it in the oven, the keep the moisture in the oven. (If you happen to still have it sealed in the bag, keep it that way.)

justmarried:)

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 8:10 pm
I put it on the bag it comes with in my crockpot on low before shabbos and by lunch its perfect. I put an inch or two of water on bottom of crockpot and put a tin pan and the roast in top so its not sitting in the water and it gets steamed.

jflower

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 8:21 pm
Are you all saying to leave the roast in the bag it originally came in? I didn't know to do that. I always took the roast out of the bag, added water and then roasted in the oven.

What's the advantage of leaving it in the bag? Is cooking in plastic a good idea? I really want to understand this. Thank you.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 8:25 pm
I already took it out of bag after cooking to slice it. It’s sliced up in a foil pan…

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 8:55 pm
jflower wrote:
Are you all saying to leave the roast in the bag it originally came in? I didn't know to do that. I always took the roast out of the bag, added water and then roasted in the oven.

What's the advantage of leaving it in the bag? Is cooking in plastic a good idea? I really want to understand this. Thank you.

I remove it from the bag and bake.
It I were leave it cooking over such a long period of time for shabbos, I would keep it in its sealed bag to retain its juices.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:05 pm
Leaving it in the bag sort of mimics the sous vide method of baking, which results in very moist meat. Keeps all it's juices with it.

justmarried:)

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 9:11 pm
jflower wrote:

https://betweencarpools.com/co.....rami/

mommyhood

Post Thu, Jun 02 2022, 10:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I already took it out of bag after cooking to slice it. It’s sliced up in a foil pan…

If its already sliced I think it will dry out in the oven overnight.
I would turn the crockpot cover over Shabbos morning so it’s flat, put a sheet pan on top and put the pan of meat on top of that. As long as you give it a few hours it really warms things up.

benny

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 8:45 am
I only do it in the bag. It sort of sits steaming overnight and comes out great. Don’t leave in the oven if it’s been taken out already.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 9:42 am
I cook it at 300 degrees covered tightly with some water in a pan ( no bag) for a bunch of hours until soft. Then slice and warm on a hotplate. Is that an option for you

esther11

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 12:03 pm
Bumping this thread up, I’m hoping to make a pastrami roast for shabbos day. It is not yet cooked. What is the easiest fool-proof method? Exact instructions please!

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 12:28 pm
esther11 wrote:
Bumping this thread up, I’m hoping to make a pastrami roast for shabbos day. It is not yet cooked. What is the easiest fool-proof method? Exact instructions please!

Do you have an instant pot? It's fast, easy, and fool-proof.

esther11

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 12:45 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
Do you have an instant pot? It's fast, easy, and fool-proof.

I do, but I would rather have it cook Friday night and be ready for shabbos day.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics