Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mold in NYC apartment

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 4:54 am
My upstairs neighbors have had floods in the past causing mold in our ceiling. Thank g-d when water came through to us we always caught right away so no water damages.

We kept bugging super to come get rid of mold and he kept pushing off. At some point it got really bad.

It came up at a pediatrician visit and dr said “you should file a report with the city”. She told me that the city will keep inspecting and charging them fines until it’s gone. And that she has had patience sue buildings for mold damage and the building can loose their building.

Owners are Jewish and I don’t want to do that.
I called building manager about it and he brushed me off and I told him that child’s doctor said it had to be taken care of right away.

The next morning super came to “fix” it. (I guess they got scared when I mentioned that dr. was concerned).
He basically painted over the mold.
A few days later mold started showing through paint.

I don’t want to report to city because the building is owned by jews. But I know how damaging mold can be.

Any idea how I can get the building to move on it without threatening to report?

There are many “illegal” things building is doing but I try to look away. Ex: they charged us to install and for the cost of child safety window bars after we signed the paper that we have a child and want them (which is illegal) and they never did the lead test (I hired someone private to do it).
But the mold I need them to do because it can’t get someone to cut out their ceiling ect.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 5:32 am
Have a lawyer send a letter threatening legal action if they don't actually cut it out (be specific about that, describe why painting with "special" anti mold paint doesn't work).
Your health is at stake. If that doesn't work quickly, you will have no other recourse.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 6:49 am
Why are you treating the landlord better than he treats you?

Your health and the health of your children is at stake and you have tried to get him to take action that is necessary.

At this point send a letter that mold remediation must be done by a licensed company by X date and if it is not completed by X date you will take all appropriate legal action.

I don't understand why people put up with being stolen from because the thief is Jewish.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics