Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How long does salad mate dressing last in fridge

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 9:41 am
Specifically nish nosh

mrsnistar

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 10:01 am
months and months and months... Talking from experience. I traveled last year and totally overbought, thinking we'd be eating tons of fresh veggies with salad mate nish nosh dressing all through our 2 weeks of travel, and I came home with about 4 or 5 still sealed bottles...
Used them for months and months - it's just 2 of us who eat it.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 10:09 am
They last a very very long time.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 10:10 am
What about an opened bottle

mrsnistar

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 10:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No difference in my experience.

self-actualization

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 10:16 am
Yes forever. Until Pesach when it’s time to throw out old inventory and buy new after Pesach.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 10:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Talking about an open bottle. They last for months in the fridge.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 10:54 am
Is it the same for a dip that I made from mayonnaise matchup and bbq sauce or any other mayonnaise based dip?

honeymoon

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 11:37 am
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:
Is it the same for a dip that I made from mayonnaise matchup and bbq sauce or any other mayonnaise based dip?

Probably not. The bought version relies on preservatives to keep it fresh. Your homemade version doesn't have that and will probably be good for approx. 2 weeks in the fridge. The upside is that it's a lot healthier..

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 11:58 am
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:

Probably not.
The salad mates have so much unnatural ingredients.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 2:12 pm
honeymoon wrote:
Probably not. The bought version relies on preservatives to keep it fresh. Your homemade version doesn't have that and will probably be good for approx. 2 weeks in the fridge. The upside is that it's a lot healthier..

Why? If unopened mayo stays for months in the fridge, and vinegar/oils and spices dont need refrigeration, then why would combining them all of a sudden make the dressing only last 2 weeks?
I would think it would last as long as mayo does, which is months and months.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 2:17 pm
It has an expiration date on it. I think it lasts about 3-4 months. I'd use it up to a week or two past expiration.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 2:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Specifically nish nosh

Read the date

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 2:39 pm
I wish they had savory dressings. Everything is so sweet.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 2:43 pm
Pesto ones are unsweetened

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 3:17 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Pesto ones are unsweetened

It's very sweet. My kids don't like it. They love my salty pesto but I don't always have time to make it from scratch.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 3:24 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
It's very sweet. My kids don't like it. They love my salty pesto but I don't always have time to make it from scratch.

Really? They have 0grams sugar. So interesting.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 3:31 pm
honeymoon wrote:

But she said she's making the dip out of mayo, ketchup, bbq sauce, etc - those each have preservatives in them already. Why would it be different? If she made a dip using fresh lemon juice and crushed garlic then it would not last that way but if each ingredient has preservatives why wouldn't the whole be the sum of its parts?

honeymoon

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 3:47 pm
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:
Why? If unopened mayo stays for months in the fridge, and vinegar/oils and spices dont need refrigeration, then why would combining them all of a sudden make the dressing only last 2 weeks?
I would think it would last as long as mayo does, which is months and months.

Unopened mayo is sealed. As soon as you open it and it comes in contact with air it will start going rancid after several weeks. Also, the reason commercial mayo stays fresh is because of the preservatives. My homemade mayo lasts about 2 weeks in the fridge, max 3.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Jun 03 2022, 6:42 pm
honeymoon wrote:
Unopened mayo is sealed. As soon as you open it and it comes in contact with air it will start going rancid after several weeks. Also, the reason commercial mayo stays fresh is because of the preservatives. My homemade mayo lasts about 2 weeks in the fridge, max 3.

My opened mayo stays in my fridge for months.
I was not speaking of homemade mayo. I mean store bought.

Im thinking that store bought mayo mixed with ketchup/oil/vinegar/seasonings should stay fresh in the fridge for as long as store bought mayo usually stays fresh your fridge.
If you dont think so, im curious why
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen