Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Painted glass backsplash?

Tortoise

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 10:35 pm
Has anyone done this? I don't want to continue my quartz countertop up the wall, and I've been told that tile is "out". Someone suggested glass but I can't visualize... and would love to hear reviews.

sweetdimples

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 10:44 pm
Following

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 7:23 pm
Tile is not "out". There are all kinds of beautiful tile so a particular style might be out. For example the glass mosaic multicolored tile that was used a lot about 10 years ago is dated but extremely high end kitchens have tile backsplashes - everything from gorgeous subtle marble tile in different shapes to colored tiles that make a statement to classic subway tiles or Zelige tiles for a rustic feel.

However back painted glass does exist but you would need to find a very experienced and talented installed because it is difficult to install and requires good preparation of the wall. It would also be very expensive.

Personally if I wanted a beautiful backsplash I would go to a high end tile store and take a look at all of the exquisite stuff - just take a look at websites from Ann Sachs or Encore or Artistic Tile or Mission Tile.

Here are examples of glass backsplashes

hello 1

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:33 pm
I have white glass backsplash with gray marbilized cabinets and white counters.
I love it. Has a very clean sharp look. Also extremely easy to wipe down and keep clean. FYI behind the cooktop I did tempered glass so it won’t crack from the heat. Have it for 9 years already and I love it.

etky

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:35 pm
So glass has been the rage here for the past decade or so.
I have many friends who've installed it when they've redone their kitchens.
It's supposedly extremely easy to maintain because there is no grout and no joints, and it provides a sleek, modern and clean look.
It also lets you bring in pattern in a different way than tile.
Everyone I know who's done it is very happy with the result.
Personally I prefer the look of tile over glass or marble backsplash for a kitchen and have never found it onerous to keep clean as some people attest but tastes and experiences vary.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 8:47 pm
Maybe I live under a rock. I don't think I ever saw a glass backsplash in a kitchen. Glass tiles, sure, but nothing like the pictures. More modern than I usually go for, but I really like it. Easy to keep clean? Or always streaky?

Heyaaa

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 9:06 pm
I had a glass backsplash and it was constant maintenance to keep it looking perfect. Every water droplet shows on it so it needs to be wiped with a good microfiber cloth every time you touch the sink. The thing that makes it look so nice is the fact that it's a clean look and if there are water droplets then it ruins the look.

I have beautiful mosaic tiles now and I get so many compliments. It's a more traditional look but with my pretty modern kitchen, it looks transitional and very current.

etky

Post Tue, Jun 07 2022, 9:54 pm
Heyaaa wrote:
I had a glass backsplash and it was constant maintenance to keep it looking perfect. Every water droplet shows on it so it needs to be wiped with a good microfiber cloth every time you touch the sink. The thing that makes it look so nice is the fact that it's a clean look and if there are water droplets then it ruins the look.

I have beautiful mosaic tiles now and I get so many compliments. It's a more traditional look but with my pretty modern kitchen, it looks transitional and very current.

Very interesting.
I've always wondered about the water marks because that is such an issue here on all surfaces what with the hard water. But everyone - including posters on FB groups that I am on - keeps on insisting that it is a breeze to keep clean.
One of the things I love about my backsplash (variegated, matte, ceramic tiles) is that it shows literally nothing. I clean it only for the sake of hygiene.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:47 am
I recently redid my kitchen countertops/backsplash. I did granite countertops, and a tile backsplash. Tile most definitely is NOT out. (My niece works in a high-end kitchen/bathroom accessory place, and she tells me tile is still VERY popular for backsplashes.)

I actually had considered glass, because I had found a glass tile that perfectly matched my countertops and I liked it. My contractor talked me out of it, though, because he said the installation is very difficult and expensive. I ended up using the glass tile to find a ceramic tile in a very similar shade, and I'm very happy with the results.

Looking at the pictures in this thread, and others I saw online, I'm glad I went with ceramic, not glass in the end. I don't really like the high gloss look, it's a bit much for me. I like the softer look of my kitchen.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:50 am
etky wrote:
One of the things I love about my backsplash (variegated, matte, ceramic tiles) is that it shows literally nothing. I clean it only for the sake of hygiene.

Same, I'm loving it. I literally don't see any dirt but wipe it down for cleanliness sake.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:26 am
Chayalle wrote:

I actually had considered glass, because I had found a glass tile that perfectly matched my countertops and I liked it. My contractor talked me out of it, though, because he said the installation is very difficult and expensive. I ended up using the glass tile to find a ceramic tile in a very similar shade, and I'm very happy with the results.

Just to clarify - glass TILE is not the same as a painted glass backsplash.

Glass tile is tile which is made of glass just as tile can be marble, porcelain, ceramic or granite.

A painted glass backsplash is a solid sheet of glass.

The installation of glass tile requires expertise just as the installation of marble tile requires expertise because glass tile. However the installation of glass tile should not be beyond the competence of a professional skilled tile setter.

The installation of a glass painted backsplash is completely different than installing tiles of any material because it is a solid sheet which is fragile and can chip and break so it is difficult and requires special expertise and the preparation of the wall behind has to be well done as well for a good result.

Glass tiles are beautiful and have a beautiful translucent quality and do NOT generally resemble the back painted glass backsplashes that I posted which have are ultra modern looking - at least in my opinion.

Here are some glass tiles from Lunada Bay

Here is a Zellige tile

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:49 am
Amarante, your middle picture is similar to what I was looking at, but in shades of grey.

My contractor told me that cutting glass tile is much more complicated than cutting ceramic, and so, more expensive. It was definitely within his competence and he was willing to do it, but he advised me against it.

Interestingly, the ceramic I went with has a look that is not so different than your last picture, though more muted, and more rectangular in shape. I'm very pleased with it. In the end I think less shine is easier on the eyes....

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:58 am
Chayalle wrote:
Amarante, your middle picture is similar to what I was looking at, but in shades of grey.

My contractor told me that cutting glass tile is much more complicated than cutting ceramic, and so, more expensive. It was definitely within his competence and he was willing to do it, but he advised me against it.

Interestingly, the ceramic I went with has a look that is not so different than your last picture, though more muted, and more rectangular in shape. I'm very pleased with it. In the end I think less shine is easier on the eyes....

Installation of glass tile is a bit more complicated but there is no reason to advise someone against it. They should just tell you what the cost is and then let the client decide whether it is worth it.

The last pictures are ceramic tile - Zellige is a style of ceramic tile which is currently very popular.

I just posted it because OP had made a blanket statement that tiles were no longer fashionable and they were out of style. The statement is absurd because there are extremely high end very up to date homes that use tiles for backsplashes or in bathrooms for walls and showers.

There is a range of styles and materials for tiles and obviously some are a bit more dated - some are more fashionable - some are more classic.

What might be "dated" are ceramic tile counters. At one time those were considered to be an upgrade from formica but about 20 years ago most people wanted some type of solid surface counter because it was more functional and also became more "fashionable". But even solid surface counters have outdated styles - classic ones and trendy/fashionable ones. For example, Uba Tuba and Baltic granite were once considered fashionable but are now considered outdated and/or builder grade and other solid surface materials are considered to be more desirable and fashionable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars