Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Accomodation for a seminary student/Yerushalaim
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:08 am
myname1 wrote:
So how old is she? If she's 18-ish, maybe she should look into renting an apt with other girls. There's probably a Ramat Shlomo nishei email list or something- maybe ask for ideas there. But isn't Maalot a high school? How is she going there after finishing bagruyot? I could be completely confused on high schools here...

Thanks! Good idea. Does anyone by any chance know how to find this emali list? Or a Whatsapp gropup? I konow there are Whatsapp groups for other parts of Yerushalayim...

Maalot ia a high school AND a seminary. DD is 18, going on 19

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:12 am
salt wrote:
Maalot is a high school and also has a 13th/14th grade where you get a qualification.

Right. 13th/14th grade the girls are following various 'maslulim', according to their career plans. They have a certain amount of time devoted to Kodesh, and the rest of the time is regular classes in their own field. Some of them will be doing bagruyiot orcother courses out of school at the same time. A fair amount of them will get engaged or married during this period.

I assume the OP's daughter did her research, and had her reasons for applying to Maalot, but it is by no means what Americans would think of as a seminary programme.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:18 am
Elfrida wrote:
Right. 13th/14th grade the girls are following various 'maslulim', according to their career plans. They have a certain amount of time devoted to Kodesh, and the rest of the time is regular classes in their own field. Some of them will be doing bagruyiot orcother courses out of school at the same time. A fair amount of them will get engaged or married during this period.

I assume the OP's daughter did her research, and had her reasons for applying to Maalot, but it is by no means what Americans would think of as a seminary programme.

Wow. That is interesting. Why not? Too little Kodesh? Weak carreer perspectives?
We are not Americans and not living in Israel.
As I wrote above, my daughter went to counselling and Maalot was suggested to her as the best fit: a school with good girls, good kodesh program and academically strong. My daughter is planning to switch to a degree program after two years...

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:20 am
There is a penimiya for Israeli high school students from out of town attached to Machon Sara Shnirer on Sorotzkin.
Bayit lepletot are always looking for madrichot. It's much younger girls, so age wouldn't be an issue and that way you get shabbos in as well.
Apart from that, afaik your best option is to advertise locally to see if anyone wants a boarder. I would be very wary about an apartment with other girls unless you've okayed it with the seminar first. They might see that as a sticking point and push her out.

You might luck out and find an older couple who have space and will give her a real home. It's worth advertising.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. That is interesting. Why not? Too little Kodesh? Weak carreer perspectives?
We are not Americans and not living in Israel.
As I wrote above, my daughter went to counselling and Maalot was suggested to her as the best fit: a school with good girls, good kodesh program and academically strong. My daughter is planning to switch to a degree program after two years...

The American (and European) seminary programs are more or less devoted to limudei kodesh with some chol on the side.
Israeli 13 and 14th grade is more of a college style program with the main focus on career training and some limudei kodesh as well. So less of a seminary and more of a college.
Having said that, the limudei kodesh are on a super high level, very interesting and the girls are very driven to succeed.
There are not many out of hours activities and girls finish at 3pm many days so have a lot of free time. It's not like an American program which is all day with extra curricular and tiyulim etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:36 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
There is a penimiya for Israeli high school students from out of town attached to Machon Sara Shnirer on Sorotzkin.
Bayit lepletot are always looking for madrichot. It's much younger girls, so age wouldn't be an issue and that way you get shabbos in as well.
Apart from that, afaik your best option is to advertise locally to see if anyone wants a boarder. I would be very wary about an apartment with other girls unless you've okayed it with the seminar first. They might see that as a sticking point and push her out.

You might luck out and find an older couple who have space and will give her a real home. It's worth advertising.

Thanks!! Advertise like where?? Any ideas??

I might add that one of the teachers at her school offered to host her, giving her a room to live in. My daughter adored the idea but this somehow just does not feel right to me... I do not feel comfortable doing that. Maybe I am wrong.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:37 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
The American (and European) seminary programs are more or less devoted to limudei kodesh with some chol on the side.
Israeli 13 and 14th grade is more of a college style program with the main focus on career training and some limudei kodesh as well. So less of a seminary and more of a college.
Having said that, the limudei kodesh are on a super high level, very interesting and the girls are very driven to succeed.
There are not many out of hours activities and girls finish at 3pm many days so have a lot of free time. It's not like an American program which is all day with extra curricular and tiyulim etc.

Aha! I see. Thank you!

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:40 am
When my daughter was in a similar situation, we found a frum single mother with a couple of small children who was renting out a room. I think I found it through a facebook group. It wasn't boarding, my daughter cooked for herself and went away for shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:43 am
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
When my daughter was in a similar situation, we found a frum single mother with a couple of small children who was renting out a room. I think I found it through a facebook group. It wasn't boarding, my daughter cooked for herself and went away for shabbos.

Do you by any chance remember the name of the fb group? Thank you!

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 6:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!! Advertise like where?? Any ideas??

I might add that one of the teachers at her school offered to host her, giving her a room to live in. My daughter adored the idea but this somehow just does not feel right to me... I do not feel comfortable doing that. Maybe I am wrong.

Why wouldn't you be comfortable? In many ways it is an ideal solution. Someone who you can trust, who the school trusts. Don't worry about her feeling uncomfortable in school. It's such a big place and there are so many teachers that many of the girls are related or connected one way or another. If I had such an offer in your place, I'd jump at it.

Anything else you find, you'll have to check into somehow. THis is a way safer option.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:28 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Why wouldn't you be comfortable? In many ways it is an ideal solution. Someone who you can trust, who the school trusts. Don't worry about her feeling uncomfortable in school. It's such a big place and there are so many teachers that many of the girls are related or connected one way or another. If I had such an offer in your place, I'd jump at it.

Anything else you find, you'll have to check into somehow. THis is a way safer option.

thank you. I have given it a lot consideration adn will think about it some more. What yiu are writing is true in many ways! It#s probably just my prejudice that a teacher-student relation should not be turned into landlady-boarder relation:) ( This is not her sem teacher but a teacher from the high school she is attending now)

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you. I have given it a lot consideration adn will think about it some more. What yiu are writing is true in many ways! It#s probably just my prejudice that a teacher-student relation should not be turned into landlady-boarder relation:) ( This is not her sem teacher but a teacher from the high school she is attending now)

First she won't even be her teacher then next year.
Second, it won't be landlady-boarder. It will be a bas-bayis.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ask the management of the seminary what girls do who study there from outside Jerusalem?

Thanks, will definitely do that

Perhaps the Neve campus has opportunities to dorm, for students who don't actually study there. Worth looking into.

Well, they only accept students from outside on condition that they attend at least some of their classes- which DD will hardly have time for given that her scedule is going to look veeeeryy busy. But thanks anyway!

I don't understand: She is going to seminary but not attending classes...?

salt

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 8:03 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:

If the teacher is not her direct mechanechet or a teacher who will be regularly teaching her, then I think it could be appropriate.
If it's a teacher she's in regular contact with, it might seem a bit uncomfortable.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 8:28 am
DrMom wrote:
I don't understand: She is going to seminary but not attending classes...?
#The original suggestion was ask at Neve Yerushalayim if they could provide accomodation for someone who is actually not their student. My daughter is not. I answered that their requirement is that whoever lives on campus has to attend at least some of their classes- which my daughter probably won't have the time for because her own seminary scedule won't allow it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 8:29 am
salt wrote:
If the teacher is not her direct mechanechet or a teacher who will be regularly teaching her, then I think it could be appropriate.
If it's a teacher she's in regular contact with, it might seem a bit uncomfortable.

It's a teacher from the high school she is graduating from.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you by any chance remember the name of the fb group? Thank you!

I am sorry I don't. I think it was something like rooms to rent Jerusalem or something like that. Just bear in mind that type of arrangement is for independant living.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:19 am
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
I am sorry I don't. I think it was something like rooms to rent Jerusalem or something like that. Just bear in mind that type of arrangement is for independant living.

Tank you!

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:57 am
You can post on any Jerusalem email list such as Neve Yakov, Bayit V'gan, Har Nof.,Nachlaot.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 11:05 am
Not in Israel, but I actually stayed by 2 teachers in high school (OOT situation where there was no dorm for the high school); the first teacher it didn't work out for reasons nothing to do with it being my teacher, and the second it worked great even though at one point I was actually in her class with only one other girl! So I wouldn't rule out the teacher idea just because of that. The 2nd teacher actually offered me a place because I was in her class and she heard I was looking for a new place (this was after I stayed by a friend so not directly from the 1st teacher) and I thought it was very kind of her. A home environment is very nice to have.

I would just suggest to work out ahead of time how responsible they will be for her, and what she will be responsible for taking care of herself, as it eliminates any discomfort.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics