Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Accomodation for a seminary student/Yerushalaim
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 6:48 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Exactly. Or there must be some seminaries that are geared towards the local girls living in pnimiyot during the week, but I am not sure if those are BY type places. I can think of one or two but they are DL.

Does DL stand for Dati Leumi? If so, I do not think thiswould work out. Will think about that ,though. Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 6:50 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Very few BY girls do this and attend an Israeli program. If they do there's usually something deeper going on.

Or they are attending real college and get an apartment with girls. But generally they aren't BY.

Maybe she can find an apartment for BY single girls who have stayed in Israel past Shana bet and are doing college or working. I know there's a few apartments like that. Those are women who are 20 or older.

Thanks. She actually went to see one pf those apartments a couple of days ago( post sem girls,working and attending college). Might be an option except that it woud take over an hour to get to school. We are considering it, nonetheless

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. She actually went to see one pf those apartments a couple of days ago( post sem girls,working and attending college). Might be an option except that it woud take over an hour to get to school. We are considering it, nonetheless

There are girls sharing apartments all over Jerusalem. If that's what she is interested in, I'm sure she could find one closer to the school.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:33 am
This is a chabad program but is geared towards girls studying at outside institutions. https://orchaya.org.il/chaya-mushka-seminar/

I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about it though, I looked into it but my daughter didn't end up going to it.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:51 am
Before you go the renting an aprtment with other girls route, please make sure the seminary is okay with that. This is not really a normal thing for a BY girl to do, certainly at that age.

I was a madricha while working/studying here and it was hard. Keep in mind that even though school gets out in the early afternoon, BY schools give alot of homework and projects to make up for it. By 16, most girls are not babysitting or even significantly helping their own parents around the house because they just don't have enough time. Especially around exam time.
Also, the American seminaries expect you to come on their school trips.

Please also keep in mind that being in a new country and school environment is a big adjustment, and if she is in a living situation where she always has to be present and responsible for other people, and that is where she sleeps (so she can't really get away from it), where will she be able to just relax? What about shabbos?

I have also stayed with a family and it was just fine. Depending on how to-the-right you are, this is more acceptable in Israel than living alone with other girls. Can also help with shidduchim down the road, and there is less of a lonely feeling when you are surrounded by a family. Just find out what the expectations are about helping out the family/yomtov/room sharing etc.

Living with an older woman is not as easy as you might think. The family often specifies that you have to be in by a certain (early) time every night and need to help out. There is also no nice way to get out of a conversation with a lonely woman, even if you have three midterms due and you're late for the bus. It sounds like a good living solution, but it's really not ideal. You might also need to deal with children/grandchildren coming in and out to visit, which may get uncomfortable.

The teacher situation sounds ideal, IMHO!
And she can always reevaluate if it doesn't work out, but by then she is here and knows her options better.

libie

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:37 am
Elfrida wrote:
There are girls sharing apartments all over Jerusalem. If that's what she is interested in, I'm sure she could find one closer to the school.

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:38 am
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
This is a chabad program but is geared towards girls studying at outside institutions. https://orchaya.org.il/chaya-mushka-seminar/

I'm sorry I can't tell you anything about it though, I looked into it but my daughter didn't end up going to it.

Thanks anyway!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:40 am
amother [ Hibiscus ] wrote:
Before you go the renting an aprtment with other girls route, please make sure the seminary is okay with that. This is not really a normal thing for a BY girl to do, certainly at that age.

I was a madricha while working/studying here and it was hard. Keep in mind that even though school gets out in the early afternoon, BY schools give alot of homework and projects to make up for it. By 16, most girls are not babysitting or even significantly helping their own parents around the house because they just don't have enough time. Especially around exam time.
Also, the American seminaries expect you to come on their school trips.

Please also keep in mind that being in a new country and school environment is a big adjustment, and if she is in a living situation where she always has to be present and responsible for other people, and that is where she sleeps (so she can't really get away from it), where will she be able to just relax? What about shabbos?

I have also stayed with a family and it was just fine. Depending on how to-the-right you are, this is more acceptable in Israel than living alone with other girls. Can also help with shidduchim down the road, and there is less of a lonely feeling when you are surrounded by a family. Just find out what the expectations are about helping out the family/yomtov/room sharing etc.

Living with an older woman is not as easy as you might think. The family often specifies that you have to be in by a certain (early) time every night and need to help out. There is also no nice way to get out of a conversation with a lonely woman, even if you have three midterms due and you're late for the bus. It sounds like a good living solution, but it's really not ideal. You might also need to deal with children/grandchildren coming in and out to visit, which may get uncomfortable.

The teacher situation sounds ideal, IMHO!
And she can always reevaluate if it doesn't work out, but by then she is here and knows her options better.

Thank you so very much for your detailed response. So many points to consider! It' s hard when you don' t live in EY and have a very dim idea about how things work there, so different from Europe

libie

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:42 am
Does anyone have any links to any Jerusalem nashim mailing lists or Whatsapp groups? Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 8:38 am
libie wrote:
Does anyone have any links to any Jerusalem nashim mailing lists or Whatsapp groups? Thank you!

Bump?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics