Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Do I need to tell
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 12:15 am
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
years ago we went to SIL for pesach and she had stomache virus erev pesach and didn't tell us, we all ended up sick it was not nice I would have stayed home.

You would have been able to stay home for pesach after finding out on erev pesach?

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 12:36 am
What could you possibly be doing wrong by telling people you were exposed to? It’s not like they are going to be angry with you, it’s no one’s fault.
But people have the right to be informed, you don’t know what’s going on in their lives, what if that have a medical treatment or are traveling abroad and need to test for covid - it’s nice to have a heads up that these things might not be happening for them.
I just can’t imagine why not to say anything.
BTW a free months ago we went to my parents with a bunch of my siblings and their kids and one of my kids tested positive for strep they next day - of course I let everyone know.
I mean wouldn’t you have wanted to know that there is a good chance you’ll test positive on the test you had to take for work ahead of time?

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:12 am
chanchy123 wrote:
What could you possibly be doing wrong by telling people you were exposed to? It’s not like they are going to be angry with you, it’s no one’s fault.
But people have the right to be informed, you don’t know what’s going on in their lives, what if that have a medical treatment or are traveling abroad and need to test for covid - it’s nice to have a heads up that these things might not be happening for them.
I just can’t imagine why not to say anything.
BTW a free months ago we went to my parents with a bunch of my siblings and their kids and one of my kids tested positive for strep they next day - of course I let everyone know.
I mean wouldn’t you have wanted to know that there is a good chance you’ll test positive on the test you had to take for work ahead of time?

If someone told me in this circumstance, I would understand why and not be upset at them, but be very annoyed that I was told. Because having a confirmed exposure requires my kids to do school in masks, including sitting away from everyone else for all meals and snacks (so no water at their desks). I have several kids who would have to do finals in masks, which at this point is hard enough for them that it might severely impact their grades.

If everyone was being really careful in school, this would be a more common thing, but at this point most people aren't testing and it's expected that you assume you have a cold and stay away from compromised people as needed. But if you test, you follow the rules. In fact, there were enough people testing for flying to Israel and seeing grandparents before Pesach that school became kind of interesting- they ask people standard to not come in two days before you do a routine test for traveling, so depending on when people were going, a lot of kids were out.

csfm

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:14 am
Absolutely you should tell them.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:33 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
You would have been able to stay home for pesach after finding out on erev pesach?

You do what you have to do….

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:58 am
fleetwood wrote:
I absolutely tell if I feel sick the next day. I did this way before covid. Btw..take your head out of the sand..covid isn't gone.

I didn't ask if you'd tell people if you felt sick.

I asked if you'd tell people if you had a cold.

Covid mostly amounts to having a cold these days. Do you know anyone who got seriously sick from covid in the past few months? Neither do I.

I have good news to share with you. The covid from 2020 doesn't exist anymore. We can start living normally again. I feel sorry when I see people walking alone masked or taking other very restrictive measures. Time to live again.

imasinger

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 8:26 am
Could someone please explain to me? I am truly confused.

I can understand that BH, Covid is no longer a major concern for the general population. Between mild variants, having had it directly, and vaccination, most people feel safe at their comfort level.

For a long time, there have been two sides --

Side 1 - Do whatever is asked of you to prevent anyone cv"sh getting seriously ill or dying. Vaccinate, mask, distance, isolate if sick. The rules are annoying, but in the best interest of public health.

Side 2 - What's being asked (masking, testing, vaccines, distancing, etc) makes no sense. The rules are against the best interests of public health, because the stress is both unnecessary and insufficient. Governments are forcing people to do things, rather than letting them make their own informed decisions. Covid isn't serious unless you're especially at risk. So nobody who isn't at risk should live life any differently. And even if you are, be aware that sealing yourself up doesn't always work.

So here's my confusion.

For a while, Side 2 has been saying, "if you think you are at risk and want to lock yourself away, fine, just don't expect everyone else to do so."

But now, I'm seeing people on Side 2 say that they have no problem concealing information that might have someone who is at risk take the precautions they think they need.

That seems like it's making decisions for others, rather than letting them make their own informed decisions.

Isn't that something Side 2 is against?.

Chloe22

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 8:52 am
Yes

fleetwood

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 8:55 am
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:

Covid mostly amounts to having a cold these days. Do you know anyone who got seriously sick from covid in the past few months? Neither do I.

I have good news to share with you. The covid from 2020 doesn't exist anymore. We can start living normally again. I feel sorry when I see people walking alone masked or taking other very restrictive measures. Time to live again.

I actually do know people who got sick with covid..but that's neither here nor there.

You asked about covid..I answered that I would inform my hosts of any negative changes in my health..like a cold..but even more so of covid!

And there's no need to feel bad for anyone who makes the choice to take precautions. Frankly,it has zero to do with you

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:06 am
fleetwood wrote:
I actually do know people who got sick with covid..but that's neither here nor there.

You asked about covid..I answered that I would inform my hosts of any negative changes in my health..like a cold..but even more so of covid!

And there's no need to feel bad for anyone who makes the choice to take precautions. Frankly,it has zero to do with you

You don't feel sorry for young or middle aged people walking alone outside (in the heat) wearing a mask? I think it's awful. They've been so traumatized by the propaganda from the media that they truly believe they're helping themselves by wearing the silly mask. How sad.

Frankly, people feel bad for others all the time even when it has nothing to do with themselves. It's a positive midah to have empathy for others even when it doesn't affect us.

fleetwood

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:27 am
You don't feel sorry for young or middle aged people walking alone outside (in the heat) wearing a mask? I think it's awful. They've been so traumatized by the propaganda from the media that they truly believe they're helping themselves by wearing the silly mask. How sad.

Frankly, people feel bad for others all the time even when it has nothing to do with themselves. It's a positive midah to have empathy for others even when it doesn't affect us.

Empathy..means feeling the pain of others. These people chose to live like this ,there is no pain..and frankly it's patronizing of you to pity them.
I feel bad for those who can't let others live and let live..that's truly a sad way to live.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 11:47 am

Why do you feel bad? You can’t have it both ways. Either it’s live and let live or it’s not. Why do you care if someone else is taking whatever precautions THEY want to take, if it has no effect (affect? I never know which one to use!!) on you whatsoever? This is how they are choosing to live.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 11:59 am

I agree with you. I feel bad for people still walking around in masks in the heat outdoors. It literally makes no sense. I feel bad that instead of choosing to use their brains they are trusting the cdc and fda who have proven to be liars and hypocrits. I feel bad for them that they don't have good critical thinking skills and feel like they need to just follow what those in charge say. I can't imagine anyone really enjoys wearing a masks in the heat outdoors.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 12:02 pm

How do you know if people have made the choice to mask because of their circumstances, or because of fear?

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 12:20 pm

Yes.

My friend is currently hospitalized with a covid-related stroke.

Who knows? Maybe she contracted covid from someone who, like you, decided that its not dangerous anymore.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 12:22 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I agree with you. I feel bad for people still walking around in masks in the heat outdoors. It literally makes no sense. I feel bad that instead of choosing to use their brains they are trusting the cdc and fda who have proven to be liars and hypocrits. I feel bad for them that they don't have good critical thinking skills and feel like they need to just follow what those in charge say. I can't imagine anyone really enjoys wearing a masks in the heat outdoors.

I don’t enjoy wearing long sleeves, or covering my knees, or covering my hair, but it’s a choice I made, and I don’t need or want anyone to feel bad for me. Not everyone you see wearing a mask is doing it because they have been brainwashed.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 12:27 pm
It amazes me that anyone wouldn't do the common courtesy of telling someone who spent time with them in close quarters that they have x or y. Be it a stomach virus, strep, or covid. It's just basic mentchlichkeit. You have no idea how it might impact someone to know what they're most likely coming down with if they're feeling off. And I can't imagine a single downside.

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 2:02 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Why do you feel bad? You can’t have it both ways. Either it’s live and let live or it’s not. Why do you care if someone else is taking whatever precautions THEY want to take, if it has no effect (affect? I never know which one to use!!) on you whatsoever? This is how they are choosing to live.

I fully agree with you. Live and let live.

But isn't it pathetic when you see someone taking on unnecessary hardships to protect themselves from an imaginary crisis?

A neighbor of mine doesn't allow her kids to have any sugar. Ever. Do I tell her what to do? Of course not! But I feel sorry that her kids can't have a little yummy ice cream on a steamy summer day.

Wearing a mask alone outdoors doesn't protect from anything. This is a unanimous opinion. (I'm not going to debate whether wearing a mask indoors among a crowd does anything) So yes, when I see a person voluntarily doing this because they've been brainwashed and traumatized by the powers that be, I feel a little disgusted. Do I say anything? No. Wear your mask. In fact, wear 3 of them. I just think it's sad and pathetic.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 2:06 pm
I fully agree with you. Live and let live.

But isn't it pathetic when you see someone taking on unnecessary hardships to protect themselves from an imaginary crisis?

A neighbor of mine doesn't allow her kids to have any sugar. Ever. Do I tell her what to do? Of course not! But I feel sorry that her kids can't have a little yummy ice cream on a steamy summer day.

Wearing a mask alone outdoors doesn't protect from anything. This is a unanimous opinion. (I'm not going to debate whether wearing a mask indoors among a crowd does anything) So yes, when I see a person voluntarily doing this because they've been brainwashed and traumatized by the powers that be, I feel a little disgusted. Do I say anything? No. Wear your mask. In fact, wear 3 of them. I just think it's sad and pathetic.

There are so many things in life that people make choices about that I think are silly and ridiculous. I don’t waste my time feeling sorry for them though. This is THEIR life and THEIR choice, and I try to respect that.

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 2:13 pm
imasinger wrote:
Could someone please explain to me? I am truly confused.

I can understand that BH, Covid is no longer a major concern for the general population. Between mild variants, having had it directly, and vaccination, most people feel safe at their comfort level.

For a long time, there have been two sides --

Side 1 - Do whatever is asked of you to prevent anyone cv"sh getting seriously ill or dying. Vaccinate, mask, distance, isolate if sick. The rules are annoying, but in the best interest of public health.

Side 2 - What's being asked (masking, testing, vaccines, distancing, etc) makes no sense. The rules are against the best interests of public health, because the stress is both unnecessary and insufficient. Governments are forcing people to do things, rather than letting them make their own informed decisions. Covid isn't serious unless you're especially at risk. So nobody who isn't at risk should live life any differently. And even if you are, be aware that sealing yourself up doesn't always work.

So here's my confusion.

For a while, Side 2 has been saying, "if you think you are at risk and want to lock yourself away, fine, just don't expect everyone else to do so."

But now, I'm seeing people on Side 2 say that they have no problem concealing information that might have someone who is at risk take the precautions they think they need.

That seems like it's making decisions for others, rather than letting them make their own informed decisions.

Isn't that something Side 2 is against?.

I think side 2 would agree that in an instance where someone is known to be at risk, it is important to make that person aware they were in close contact with someone who tested positive.

I assume the op was talking about 2 families that got together with nobody being in the high risk category. In that case I don't think it's necessary to say anything.

If families are going to crowded simchos, going to crowded shuls, shopping in busy supermarkets, it's safe to say they've moved on. Covid is still here and anyone doing these things will inevitably get exposed and on some level don't really care. If you're going to a packed shul indoor kiddush, you can't also be worried about Covid.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics