Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Hi ranch - for what size family?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:05 am
I am looking into buying a hi ranch (not the tiny one, but not the bigger one - 4 bdrm, about right under 2000 sq. ft.). Do you think it makes sense for 7 kids? I hope to have 1-3 more, and iyh hope to marry off soon...
For what size family would you suggest it would be reasonable?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:09 am
Depends on what you like.
People have between 4-12 kids in a high ranch.

Most high ranches also have potential to be extended.

Maybe look at a high ranch with a double garage.
That would be more that 2,000 SF though.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:11 am
2000 SQ ft would be very tight for a family of nine in the US. It would probably be comfortable for a family of six. Obviously in many places outside the US large families would consider that size a palace, but these are the standards here.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:12 am
imafriend wrote:
Depends on what you like.
People have between 4-12 kids in a high ranch.

Most high ranches also have potential to be extended.

Maybe look at a high ranch with a double garage.
That would be more that 2,000 SF though.

Yes, it has a double garage. Potential to expand. But I can see myself doing only half, as my husband/boys have tons of tools.
And it'll probably be a while till we get to it.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:12 am
Why am I not sure what high ranch is?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, it has a double garage. Potential to expand. But I can see myself doing only half, as my husband/boys have tons of tools.
And it'll probably be a while till we get to it.

Half is still a 5th bedroom.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Freesia

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:26 am
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
Why am I not sure what high ranch is?

A bi level

In monsey (and maybe other places) they call it a high ranch. In Lakewood it’s called a bi level.
Go figure.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:28 am
To me it’s a gloried apartment with a basement. I don’t think it has enough room. Also 2,000 sq feet is small for that many kids.

cupcake123

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:30 am
Obviously depends what your standards are /location/finances. For me personally living in Lakewood that seems small for 9 people plus you want to have more imH. I'm sure others will say that's huge lol.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:31 am
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
To me it’s a gloried apartment with a basement. I don’t think it has enough room. Also 2,000 sq feet is small for that many kids.
This is my opinion as well. It's not a good layout for a frum family with lot's of children.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:36 am
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
A bi level

In monsey (and maybe other places) they call it a high ranch. In Lakewood it’s called a bi level.
Go figure.

Lol still have no idea what that actually is. I think I grew up in one. But I didn’t have 7 kids in my family!

mizle10

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:40 am
10 kids in 3 bedrooms sounds very small to me. Obviously doable if you need to, but not ideal.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:44 am
In five towns we have hi ranches too. So not sure where u live. Many many families live in them. They have three bedroom on the top floor and one on the bottom. But they are closer to 2500-2700 sq feet. I live in one an ddef don’t feel like it’s a glorified apt lol. What kind of apt have u lived in?! Now I think if u add a bedroom in garage and maybe a second smaller one on the bottom floor it can be doable but def tight. Youll need to do bunk beds etc. especially when having married kids

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:45 am
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
A bi level

Go figure.

So is it essentially the equivalent of a 1000 Sq ft ranch with a basement?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:47 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
In five towns we have hi ranches too. So not sure where u live. Many many families live in them. They have three bedroom on the top floor and one on the bottom. But they are closer to 2500-2700 sq feet. I live in one an ddef don’t feel like it’s a glorified apt lol. What kind of apt have u lived in?! Now I think if u add a bedroom in garage and maybe a second smaller one on the bottom floor it can be doable but def tight. Youll need to do bunk beds etc. especially when having married kids

I live in one too and love it.
It has so much potential.
It's definitely not just a 3 bdrm apartment.
Especially that they all have a large den/ playroom area in addition to the 3-5 bedrooms.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:49 am
cupcake123 wrote:
Obviously depends what your standards are /location/finances. For me personally living in Lakewood that seems small for 9 people plus you want to have more imH. I'm sure others will say that's huge lol.

Same opinion in monsey. Most of my friends/ family outgrew that size with 4/5 kids and definitely didn’t host in it. It’s really small living quarters. The size of an apartment. Which is ofcourse doable but tight.

I know that sounds bratty with the way housing prices are now. But a few years back housing was much more affordable. Now it’s really hard to afford something spacious.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 10:54 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

I used to live in the five towns, one of the reasons I l left was because I just wasn't going to spend a minimum of 850,000 to live like that. I paid way less for a 2 story house plus a full basement and 2 car garage in NJ. Now we have 4 bedrooms upstairs and full floor for living and we can add bedrooms in the basement. I looked at and considered 30 hi ranches so I feel I can call it a glorified apartment lol.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 11:00 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:

I live here too in a hi ranch as well. Its 2300 square feet. Massive massive playroom, huge guest room. Many bathrooms.
Yes its not ideal. But I bought it 4 years ago and it is now worth 450,00 more than I paid for it. And we have plenty of space. One downside- I dont love bedrooms on main floor. But tje downstairs is so spacious

mfb

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 11:03 am
I find the dining/living room not so big in high ranches

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 11:06 am
mfb wrote:
I find the dining/living room not so big in high ranches

Interesting.. I find my living/dr very spacious! I fit a table that seats 12 and a huge sectional with room to spare
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating