Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Rochel vs Rachel spelling
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 3:42 pm
We want to use this name but pronounced with an emphasis on the CHEL. What do you think makes sense re the spelling?
“Rochel” looks like “RUH-chul”
“Rachel” looks like “Raychel” the English name.
And “Rochelle” or “Rachelle” looks like either “Ra-shell” or even “Ra-cheli”.
What do the ladies on here think? What have you seen? And any of you have the name and can share from personal experience?
Thanks!

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 3:44 pm
My name is spelled Rachel and pronounced Ra-Chel
I love it because its easy to just say my name is Rachel when dealing with non Jews
In the frum world everyone knows how to pronounce correctly too based off the spelling

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 3:53 pm
Spell it Rachel.
Rochel will for sure be pronounced Ruh-chul.
Yes, non-Jews will say Raychel the English way, but this is probably your best bet!

AllThings

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 3:54 pm
I always think of Rochel as being pronounced Rochel and Rachel the way you want (or the english name Rachel, context dependent).

LK1

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 3:57 pm
I would do Rachel since you could change the pronunciation for non-jews.

Rochel looks very much like Ruh-chel

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:16 pm
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
My name is spelled Rachel and pronounced Ra-Chel
I love it because its easy to just say my name is Rachel when dealing with non Jews
In the frum world everyone knows how to pronounce correctly too based off the spelling

Another Rachel here! Agree with the above.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:25 pm
I'm Rachel pronounced Ra-CHELL.
I know another Ra-CHELL who spells her name Rachelle but that looks like RaSHELL to me, like rochelle

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:54 pm
I know someone who's name is spelled Rachael.

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 7:53 pm
I know people who spell it Rachelle, Rachell, Rachael and Rachayl. I would just spell it Rachel.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 8:35 pm
I’ve had a bunch of students spelled different ways. Rachel is almost always ra-CHEL and rochel is rochel. I also have a Rachelle also pronounced raCHEL and a Racheli

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 9:06 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:

I get so annoyed when I see this (and it's becoming more common). I think it's an overgeneralisation from the spellings of other names like Michael, Daniel, Gabriel, etc that have a vowel + el. However, if you look at the original names in Hebrew, the vowel+el names have א-ל at the end. Rachel doesn't. It just has kumitz under the ח and then a lamed. רחל. Rachel doesn't have hashem's name in it, it means "sheep".

Perhaps I'm wrong about why the name is suddenly being spelt that way but it's the only reason I can figure out and it's annoying to me.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 9:14 pm
Spell it Wraughelle. Because no matter how you spell it, manyones will pronounce it differently from the way you want them to. Spell it Wraughelle and you have a sliver of a chance of happiness, because at least some people will bother to ask you how to pronounce it rather than guess wildly.

Rachael is linguistically wrong. People spell it this way because they think it's analogous to Michael, which it isn't remotely.

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 9:19 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:

Mine is. My coworkers have no idea how to pronounce it. And among frum people, it’s more Rachayl than Ra-CHEL. Not my druthers.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 9:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We want to use this name but pronounced with an emphasis on the CHEL. What do you think makes sense re the spelling?
“Rochel” looks like “RUH-chul”
“Rachel” looks like “Raychel” the English name.
And “Rochelle” or “Rachelle” looks like either “Ra-shell” or even “Ra-cheli”.
What do the ladies on here think? What have you seen? And any of you have the name and can share from personal experience?
Thanks!

I know both and it depends on the pronunciation. In your case I would spell it Rachel. Also legally, it makes it easier for non Jews.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 11:55 pm
Thanks everyone (op here)
I appreciate these posts
Does it make a difference that I strongly dislike the name Ray-chel? And don’t care about non-Jews being able to pronounce it- our main sphere is frum. I don’t dislike “Rochel” and would rather someone mistakenly pronounce it that way than say “Raychel” (but my husband doesn’t like the sound of “Rochel”)

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 6:41 am
I spell my name Rachel. I pronounce it the way you want it as Ra chel.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 1:48 pm
Also- we are in more right wing circles
Is it typical to have a Ra-chel ? Will she feel like it’s a more modern name growing up in more yeshivish school system etc ?

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 2:56 am
I know people who wanted the Hebrew pronunciation so they named their daughter with the spelling Rachelle. I think it’s your best bet.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 3:30 am
amother [ Brass ] wrote:
I know people who wanted the Hebrew pronunciation so they named their daughter with the spelling Rachelle. I think it’s your best bet.

This will almost certainly be pronounced as Rochelle by many many people and will have to be corrected each time.

Mayflower

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 3:33 am
zaq wrote:
Spell it Wraughelle. Because no matter how you spell it, manyones will pronounce it differently from the way you want them to. Spell it Wraughelle and you have a sliver of a chance of happiness, because at least some people will bother to ask you how to pronounce it rather than guess wildly.

Rachael is linguistically wrong. People spell it this way because they think it's analogous to Michael, which it isn't remotely.

LOL You made me actually LOL!

Seriously though OP, if you are in right-wing circles, people will automatically assume it's Ra-CHEL, not Raychel. There's no other way to spell it really.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names