Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Jewish communities out West?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:04 pm
I'm curious if there are any Jewish communities in smaller towns in the western half of the United States that are affordable.
Based on my research, it seems that every Jewish community in the West is based within a large city, and they are generally not that affordable. When I say affordable, I mean like 3-4 bdrm houses for $250k or so.

So far I've looked into:
Denver (big city, not affordable)
Dallas (big city, has become more expensive)
Houston (big city, somewhat affordable)
Phoenix (big city, has become much more expensive)
Las Vegas / Henderson (big city, has become more expensive)
LA (big city, not affordable)
San Diego (medium sized city, not affordable)
San Francisco (big city, not affordable)
Portland (medium sized city, not so affordable)
Seattle (big city, not affordable)

Are there any other Jewish communities out West? I know there are places with a Chabad (Bozeman, Salt Lake City, others) but they don't really have a solid Jewish presence or a day school, as far as I know.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm curious if there are any Jewish communities in smaller towns in the western half of the United States that are affordable.
Based on my research, it seems that every Jewish community in the West is based within a large city, and they are generally not that affordable. When I say affordable, I mean like 3-4 bdrm houses for $250k or so.

So far I've looked into:

Are there any other Jewish communities out West? I know there are places with a Chabad (Bozeman, Salt Lake City, others) but they don't really have a solid Jewish presence or a day school, as far as I know.

What about Des Moines, Tucson, Plano, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Milwaukee….(most are not on the west coast, but to me these are all west because they are west of the east coast)
I don’t know anything about any of these cities in terms of cost or size or schooling, they’re just cities that came to mind.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:32 pm
I don’t know if any cities with Jewish communities and resources have houses for $250 k

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:43 pm
The only community I’m aware of that has houses for that price and an established community is South Bend. I personally know very little about it but there are people on here that live there.
It’s not a huge community but it’s comparable in size to some that uou posted. The west coast is very expensive so I don’t think you’re going to find any housing for that price over there. In most of the country you’ll pay way more than that so you need to specifically look for low COL places. That’ll leave you with medium and small cities in the middle of the country for the most part. (Like the south is cheap, but Houston Dallas Atlanta etc are big cities so they’re not cheap)

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:47 pm
Real estate in Overland Park, KS is quite affordable. You should definitely be able to get a house walking distance to the shul and inside the eruv for under 250k. They have a daily minyan. But the chinuch situation there leaves a LOT to be desired, so definitely look into that before planning any moves.

There was also a budding community in southwest Colorado called Shaarei Shamayim that may be worth checking out.

With real estate appreciation over the past several years, housing under 250k will be hard to come by almost anywhere.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:48 pm
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
The only community I’m aware of that has houses for that price and an established community is South Bend. I personally know very little about it but there are people on here that live there.
It’s not a huge community but it’s comparable in size to some that uou posted. The west coast is very expensive so I don’t think you’re going to find any housing for that price over there. In most of the country you’ll pay way more than that so you need to specifically look for low COL places. That’ll leave you with medium and small cities in the middle of the country for the most part. (Like the south is cheap, but Houston Dallas Atlanta etc are big cities so they’re not cheap)

Rochester, NY also has houses for that price like this one but yeah it's very much on the east coast...
https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jun 08 2022, 4:48 pm

Might as well include Memphis and Detroit, although I’m not either of them are affordable either. Chattanooga too.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:34 am
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
What about Des Moines, Tucson, Plano, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Milwaukee….(most are not on the west coast, but to me these are all west because they are west of the east coast)
I don’t know anything about any of these cities in terms of cost or size or schooling, they’re just cities that came to mind.

I'm looking into the Western US specifically, not the midwest.
Tucson doesn't really have a frum presence, as far as I know.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:37 am

I hear you. It's kinda frustrating that there aren't many Jewish communities outside of the big expensive cities. But I understand why they are built there to begin with. Hopefully with time, there will be more options. Yes, South Bend is an exception, but it's in the midwest. I'm looking for something in the Western US, specifically.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:44 am
amother [ Oldlace ] wrote:
Real estate in Overland Park, KS is quite affordable. You should definitely be able to get a house walking distance to the shul and inside the eruv for under 250k. They have a daily minyan. But the chinuch situation there leaves a LOT to be desired, so definitely look into that before planning any moves.

There was also a budding community in southwest Colorado called Shaarei Shamayim that may be worth checking out.

With real estate appreciation over the past several years, housing under 250k will be hard to come by almost anywhere.

Shaarei Shamayim is not a budding community.

It is the dream of an interesting woman who wanted to live in the woods but keep a semblance of Yiddishkeit.

There is no rabbi, there is no community, there is no school. There is nothing there.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm looking into the Western US specifically, not the midwest.
Tucson doesn't really have a frum presence, as far as I know.

Tucson has a chasidishe community during the winter called Braunner's resort.

I know they wanted to make it year round, but I'm not sure if they've been successful or not.

Casa Grande, Arizona, however, is working out nicely. Full kosher grocery, etc.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:48 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:

I know they wanted to make it year round, but I'm not sure if they've been successful or not.

Maybe that’s what I was thinking of? I know there’s another frum community in Arizona….we had a guest who grew up there, I just don’t remember the name of the city!!

Edit: it was Scottsdale I think. Does that make sense? I believe there’s a Chabad there, and a YI, but I know nothing about the community in terms of schools and affordability.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:55 am
Casa Grande is very chasidishe. Not sure about Scottsdale.

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:57 am
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
Maybe that’s what I was thinking of? I know there’s another frum community in Arizona….we had a guest who grew up there, I just don’t remember the name of the city!!

Edit: it was Scottsdale I think. Does that make sense? I believe there’s a Chabad there, and a YI, but I know nothing about the community in terms of schools and affordability.

Scottsdale and Phoenix are 20 minutes apart.

I don't think Scottsdale is cheap.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:57 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:

We aren't chasidish so we aren't looking into a chasidishe community. I believe Casa Grande is a chasidishe community as well.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:58 am
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:

Scottsdale is very expensive and is basically part of the Phoenix metro area.

yads

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:01 am
Scottsdale is very nice, but more expensive than Phoenix. It’s a bedroom community of Phoenix so people send to the Phoenix schools, the two communities share restaurants etc. Casa grande is a chassidish community, about 45 mins away that is much cheaper than Phoenix.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:02 am
Yes, Casa Grande is very, very chasidishe.

Honestly, the most beautiful community I've ever seen is Seattle.

I used to live in the Bellevue community and it was amazing. All the communities get together for events and respect each other, no matter which community you come from.

The area is stunningly lovely and it's rarely hot.

I was a teenager, so I'm not sure what the pricing is, but the community is in my bones as being overall gorgeous.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:07 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Yes, Casa Grande is very, very chasidishe.

Honestly, the most beautiful community I've ever seen is Seattle.

I used to live in the Bellevue community and it was amazing. All the communities get together for events and respect each other, no matter which community you come from.

The area is stunningly lovely and it's rarely hot.

I was a teenager, so I'm not sure what the pricing is, but the community is in my bones as being overall gorgeous.

Seattle is definitely beautiful.. but yeah, it's extremely expensive to live there now. So is Portland. I was hoping to find another community in the northwest, but I don't think there are any others. Sad

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

So far I've looked into:

Obviously not my businesses op, but why only the west? the " west coast" is big. The distance from San Diego to Seattle is probably not much more than from the midwest to the west coast.

And Bozeman, SLC, certainly Texas are pulling you even further from the west coast. Why not consider the cheaper communities in the heartland? St Louis, Minneapolis are not much further east than Houston. Milwaukee, Kansas city (not sure how big kc is anymore) are probably) are not much worse.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating