Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Jewish communities out West?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:13 am
Milwaukee sounds so beautiful in terms of ruchnuyis. Gashmiyus doesn't seem overlwhelmingly beautiful, but certainly is affordable. I saw this never having been there but having researched it a bit.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:51 am
amother [ Blueberry ] wrote:
Obviously not my businesses op, but why only the west? the " west coast" is big. The distance from San Diego to Seattle is probably not much more than from the midwest to the west coast.

And Bozeman, SLC, certainly Texas are pulling you even further from the west coast. Why not consider the cheaper communities in the heartland? St Louis, Minneapolis are not much further east than Houston. Milwaukee, Kansas city (not sure how big kc is anymore) are probably) are not much worse.

Fair question of course, we are looking into the west to be near mountains and open land. So it doesn't have to be on the coast. I know, Dallas and Houston aren't exactly near mountains or open lands, but we decided to look into them anyway, though at this point they're not in consideration.

So Milwaukee / KC / St. Louis / etc. don't fit the bill.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:52 am
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Milwaukee sounds so beautiful in terms of ruchnuyis. Gashmiyus doesn't seem overlwhelmingly beautiful, but certainly is affordable. I saw this never having been there but having researched it a bit.

Yes Milwaukee has a wonderful community and is more affordable, but again, it's not in the west.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 7:57 am
Upstate New York is beautiful and mountainous . Someone mentioned Rochester before as being very affordable.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:13 am
Is Palo Alto or other bay area communities expensive?
There is a small community on palm springs.
How's Las Vegas?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:15 am
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
Upstate New York is beautiful and mountainous . Someone mentioned Rochester before as being very affordable.

Rochester isn't near the mountains though, it's several hours away. I don't know of any year round frum communities in upstate NY or the Northeast that are close to the mountains and affordable, outside of maybe Albany, which doesn't have much infrastructure.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:19 am
Iymnok wrote:
Is Palo Alto or other bay area communities expensive?
There is a small community on palm springs.
How's Las Vegas?

The Bay area communities are verrrry expensive, not to mention in big cities. I don't think Palm Springs has a frum school, and I doubt it's affordable either. Las Vegas has a nice community and isn't terribly expensive but it's a very large city, with lots of billboards and attractions we aren't so keen on raising children near.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:53 am
We do not live in the States but I feel very sad that the prices are going up for couples and making it difficult to buy. It used to be all the ''Out Of Town'' States were so much cheaper and made it possible for young couples to buy a home.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Rochester isn't near the mountains though, it's several hours away. I don't know of any year round frum communities in upstate NY or the Northeast that are close to the mountains and affordable, outside of maybe Albany, which doesn't have much infrastructure.

Maybe Kingston or Scranton.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:57 am
There is a small community in Sacramento. I don’t know much about it but it is much more affordable than most of California and near lots of beautiful nature

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 8:59 am
Monsey is near the mountains.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:07 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Maybe Kingston or Scranton.

Kingston NY? I don't think it has much going on there. Scranton seems good though not quite near the mountains or open land, but could be worth looking into.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Kingston NY? I don't think it has much going on there. Scranton seems good though not quite near the mountains or open land, but could be worth looking into.

Kingston, PA. Near the Poconos.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:10 am
tichellady wrote:
There is a small community in Sacramento. I don’t know much about it but it is much more affordable than most of California and near lots of beautiful nature

Interesting, I wasn't aware there was a community in Sacramento, I'll have to look into it, thanks!

doctorima

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting, I wasn't aware there was a community in Sacramento, I'll have to look into it, thanks!

When we were in Sacramento several years ago, DH came back from minyan saying that there were about 12-15 men there. And this was the only minyan in town. So unless something major has changed since then, I doubt the community there will be large enough for what you're looking for.

Scranton, which mentioned above, is in the Poconos. The ski mountain called Montage is about a 15 minute drive away. And real estate there is extremely cheap.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:27 am
OP the only place you’re going to find the prices you’re looking for is the Midwest. The coasts are expensive.

Wisconsin happens to be beautiful in the spring summer and fall, if you don’t mind cold winters. No mountains of course, but lots of open land! And Milwaukee is on beautiful Lake Michigan…

miami85

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:43 am
With inflation everything has shot up in the last year, we live in one of the "cheaper cities" and I know our property value has gone up 100K in the last year. You may have to re-think what "affordable is"

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don't know if people not connected to the Yeshiva live there, but there's jews year round in south fallsburg.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:05 am
doctorima wrote:
When we were in Sacramento several years ago, DH came back from minyan saying that there were about 12-15 men there. And this was the only minyan in town. So unless something major has changed since then, I doubt the community there will be large enough for what you're looking for.

Scranton, which mentioned above, is in the Poconos. The ski mountain called Montage is about a 15 minute drive away. And real estate there is extremely cheap.

Gotcha. Though we'd be ok with a community that small, if there are other families with young kids and a Jewish day school. I don't know if Sacramento has that.

Scranton may potentially work for us, I'll need to look into it more. Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 10:09 am
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
OP the only place you’re going to find the prices you’re looking for is the Midwest. The coasts are expensive.

Wisconsin happens to be beautiful in the spring summer and fall, if you don’t mind cold winters. No mountains of course, but lots of open land! And Milwaukee is on beautiful Lake Michigan…

True. Though I was hoping to find some secret hidden gem somewhere in the middle of Idaho or Wyoming, but alas, it seems to not exist.
We don't mind cold winters but we definitely would like to have mountains nearby.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating