Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Why is summer camp a must for frum families?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

imaima

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 3:41 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I think historically it was a must for some (because of work, no extended family - like I posted upthread about the history) but I don't think that's as prevalent anymore today. There are much more daycamps catering to the working crowd. And most girls aren't going at the age that they need babysitting - they are going at an older age, when they could amuse themselves or get a job.

So you either send because you view it as a chinuch benefit, or because you are pressured (your teens friends are going.)

The truth is - amusing oneself is much more of an issue now - most of us want our kids in some sort of framework. The world being what it is. And working for 8 weeks is a burden for many teens. So they go to camp half the summer.....

My 14 year old will be an assistant in a 3-year-old daycamp for 4 weeks. She wouldn't enjoy doing that for 8 weeks. And I wouldn't want her without structure for so long, either.

Yes
Those who have to work are not the ones who complain about it being a must.

What I flnd is that our generation is also much more afraid of everything: drugs, bad influence, wrong crowds, media and devices, [filth], pedophiles lurking. Everything is a red flag.

We need a frum framework to protect teens from the reality.
I think secular people are just much more laid back.

Ruchi

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 3:55 pm
Chayalle wrote:
What happens to Brits who can't afford to Holiday? (I guess that's for a spin-off. Gotta ask my cousins.)

They don't go away! Some don't even send to day camp but go instead on family trips by public transport.
There are also subsidised family outings by coach, but it's very limited and operates on a first come first served basis which you have to book in advance and commit to come on all the trips (3x a week for 2 weeks)

Ruchi

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 4:00 pm
mitzva wrote:
I think you should just leave her alone. If someone is discussing a country or neighborhood specific issue it is offensive to play superior country.

Imaima became only minor irritated when I explained the system in the UK.
No one is playing superior country when pointing out that the UK 's summer vacation works out cheaper.
People should not need to get so sensitive and over react,

GLUE

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 4:38 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Most big cities in the US also have public transportation, since you are comparing to London.

It depends on the city.

Half of the mass transit in the US is located in NYC, some cities like Portland Oregon are set up to be pedestrian friendly most are not.

Cities like Phoenix don't have very great system to begin with.

Another mom

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 5:11 pm
So my Mother A"H said we can't stay home... she didn't want us (2 siblings) to be in the hot humid city... One year day camp was an option but in the end, we did sleepaway. Of course in the 80s camps were ALOT cheaper, but I appreciate my parent's efforts! Heart It was not easy for them. My mom worked 4 days a week, I think. She'd trust us but there was not a lot to do in my neighborhood.
Until I was 11 we went to the bungalow colony. That was a great solution.
I also loved camp, we grew so much as people!

GLUE

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:14 pm
Another mom wrote:
So my Mother A"H said we can't stay home... she didn't want us (2 siblings) to be in the hot humid city... One year day camp was an option but in the end, we did sleepaway. Of course in the 80s camps were ALOT cheaper, but I appreciate my parent's efforts! Heart It was not easy for them. My mom worked 4 days a week, I think. She'd trust us but there was not a lot to do in my neighborhood.
Until I was 11 we went to the bungalow colony. That was a great solution.
I also loved camp, we grew so much as people!

Some people need to work so bungalow colony is not an option

Do you know what the price of bungalow colonies are now? It is not like it is so cheap

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:49 pm
Here in antwerp we have 2 whole months vacation. Most people send to daycamp cause they work July. This year my oldest 2 are out of daycamp. My 15 dd will work as a Madricha. My 17ds is going 5 days to Poland with his rebbi. The 12 year olds are still in daycamp. August a lot of things are closed here and most people go on vacations for 2 to 3 weeks.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jun 09 2022, 9:55 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
Here in antwerp we have 2 whole months vacation. Most people send to daycamp cause they work July. This year my oldest 2 are out of daycamp. My 15 dd will work as a Madricha. My 17ds is going 5 days to Poland with his rebbi. The 12 year olds are still in daycamp. August a lot of things are closed here and most people go on vacations for 2 to 3 weeks.

And most people have off from work as well?

rainbow dash

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 4:43 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
And most people have off from work as well?

Yes, the diamond district is mostly closed, meat shops etc are only open a few hours for 3 days, teachers and rebbis have off.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps