Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
S/O what was a memorable craft you made as a kid/teen

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 2:06 am
Looking for crafts to do in camp for little kids, middle school girls and high school girls. What do you remember making that you enjoyed? Plus if it takes longer than one sitting to complete. Thanks!

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 2:17 am
Over 25 years ago, we made mosaic tile trivets in camp. We took a piece of wood, and used tile cutters, glue, and grout to make a pretty trivet. They had all sizes and shapes of tiles and it was a lot of fun to choose them, cut them and finish them. Definitely took more than one sitting! My mother still has mine Smile

We also once decorated small jewelry boxes. We used puff paint to make a design, then after it dried we sprayed the whole thing gold! It looked really pretty with the raised gold design.

A gorgeous project we did in school was plexiglass matzah boxes. We chose designs on paper, then traced them with puff paint on the plexiglass.

My brother's camp had them assemble wood boxes, decorate a paper with Kriyas Shema She'al Hamitah, and then hook up lights in the box for a backlit Kriyas Shema. It was very cool!

Projects my kids have made include a clock, a message board / corkboard, and a headband holder.

dankbar

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 4:03 am
I remember in preschool, we made for Tisha b'av a kosel, using the inside of a shoe box cover, the grass between bricks was made from green scours, a cut out from paper back of person with tallis, stapled with a tab to the bottom of inside of shoebox cover, and you were able to shake it to pray.
Another craft I remember from daycamp, a wooden carved door sign with family name. The border & family name we formed from wiki stix then the entire plaque was stained & shellacked.

In elementary, I remember a piece of mirror. We traced some words, pics onto a clear contact paper & cut those out, then stuck contact paper with cut out words/pics onto mirror & then spray painted entire thing. When it dried we peeled off contact paper. Don't remember if entire thing was black with mirror lettering or entire thing was mirror with black lettering.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 4:15 am
My son did some professional crafts in camp simcha.

Leather siddur cover, leather challah cover.

Wooden stand shtender

Flattened glass soda bottle to create a candy dish/ ash tray.

Pottery porcelain kiddush cup

Glass fused mezuza holder

Decorative havdalah candles

Soap bars with different mini objects or name inside.

At another place, wooden Tisha bav stools to sit on.

Decorative glass plate with printed napkin underneath, with gloss.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:20 am
I have friends who every summer run a week of Camp Bubbe for their granddaughters, followed by a week of Camp Zayde for their grandsons (with the whole family together for the Shabbos in the middle).

There is always a long running craft project. One year all the boys made shtenders from scratch, starting with the carpentry, and then putting them together, glueing, nailing, sanding it down and finally varnishing or painting. Another year they made lamps, learning about working with electrical equipment along the way.

The girls are a bit more craft oriented, but they've made and decorated boxes. If I remember more, I'll post about it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:28 am
Thanks, these ideas are great! Keep ‘em coming!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children