Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How often do you wash and replace the mat under the dishrack
Previous  1  2

How often do you wash and replace mat under your dishrack on counters?
every day  
 9%  [ 3 ]
3 times a week  
 6%  [ 2 ]
2 times a week  
 21%  [ 7 ]
once a week  
 30%  [ 10 ]
less than once a week  
 33%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 33

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 7:34 am
zaq wrote:
I know. I wouldn't dream of using such a thing. It stays wet, making a wonderful growth medium for bacteria and fungi, and has to be laundered. The plastic tray can be rinsed off or wiped dry, either of which takes seconds and can be done daily or more often if desired.
I clean the dishrack often, but I wanted to know about the dishmat underneath.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 7:35 am
happytobemom wrote:
I don't own a dish rack or a mat. I place my dishes to dry on a towel spread onto the counter. When I put the dishes away, I hang the towel over the oven door handle.
Someone once gave me one of those mats. I didn't understand the purpose!
As for a dish rack, that I understand, but for me it's just more clutter on the counter. I'd rather spread out a towel, wash the dishes, and when they're away, the towel goes away also and the counter's clear.
The purpose is to collect the water that drains from the dishrack. Our dishrack goes level with the counter in the front so if there's nothing underneath, the counter will get wet.

thatworn

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:31 am
I replace it every day or every other day. It gets soaked very easily with all the dishes dripping onto it! I go through about 4-5 dish/hand towels a day also, so the dish mat is just added to the pile in the laundry room and laundered every for days.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:40 am
happytobemom wrote:
I don't own a dish rack or a mat. I place my dishes to dry on a towel spread onto the counter. When I put the dishes away, I hang the towel over the oven door handle.
Someone once gave me one of those mats. I didn't understand the purpose!
As for a dish rack, that I understand, but for me it's just more clutter on the counter. I'd rather spread out a towel, wash the dishes, and when they're away, the towel goes away also and the counter's clear.

I do the same. I didn't even know these dishracks and dishmats exist. It seems to me like it's just another thing that clutters the counter and to have to look after. At the end of the day I throw all the towels in the wash.
But then again I don't have so many things that others deem as necessities.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:34 am
mushkamothers wrote:
I disagree. The plastic ones are disgusting as you pointed out and they're never dry. .

Au contraire, ma soeur. Mine is years old and pristine. A quick shvenk oys and it's clean. Three seconds, literally. maybe five. The reason they get disgusting--and they do, they do--is that people just leave them with water standing in them forever and never clean them off. You know, I go to people's houses and see black crud around the drains in their bathtub or sinks. I take a tissue, wipe around the drain 1-2-3, literally a few seconds, and the glop is gone. I'm sure the balebostes never even notice, but it makes me feel better. It's all from leaving standing water. If people would just take the few seconds to tip the doggone tray into the sink after washing up and once in a blue moon bother to wipe the tray off with a rag, they'd have no problem. I don't know how they're not nauseated to see the crud and embarrassed to have company see it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen