Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Seeing Other Kids Play

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 5:15 pm
I'm a mother of an ASD child. Even though I'm in a good place right now with regards to my situation, sometimes seeing other kids play outside together in an age-appropriate way just completely knocks me off my feet.

gootlfriends

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 5:22 pm
Depending on your child's diagnosis, you might be able to get help socially. But yes, its hard to be different. I have 2.

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 5:49 pm
I’m with you OP. The best thing for me is to avoid situations which make me look. I try to stay away from watching other kids play so I can celebrate my child’s accomplishments in his own way. It’s not easy but you’re not alone.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 6:30 pm
Same, my son is 13 and it's still a punch to the gut to see other kids altogether intuiting the social skills my son is missing, with my son on the sidelines.
Although I feel mostly ok at this point about his diagnosis, I will still mourn forever because I can only accept the difference and the loss at the stage he's at now. Every new stage brings a situation where I need to process and accept all over again. I can't really mourn a lifetime of disappointment when I haven't experienced every stage of his life yet.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 10 2022, 7:20 pm
gootlfriends wrote:
Depending on your child's diagnosis, you might be able to get help socially. But yes, its hard to be different. I have 2.

He is getting help. He is just different.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sat, Jun 11 2022, 7:39 pm
I have an Asd child too and It is really hard.

My son has a lot of missing social skills and when people laugh at him he thinks its funny.

We are getting the best place in shomayim.
Sending you hugs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)