Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Is it kosher to have a mini pig as a pet?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:48 am
Our DD is begging for one and they seem to make great pets. We have had various pets over the years. Anyone looked into it? Would my regular Rabbi know?

singleagain

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 5:57 am
Why would it be different than any other pet?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:03 am
singleagain wrote:

That’s what I also thought but then when I googled it I saw an article of Chabad.org that says it’s not OK to raise swine even if you don’t plan to eat it. Now I am confused. Wondering if anyone looked into it further.

zohar

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:05 am
singleagain wrote:

There is an issur on raising pig. I don't know if owning one as a pet is different or not. It's a question for a Rabbi.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:15 am
People avoid even saying the word....

I wondered about owning a hamster.

Moonlight

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:23 am
There is a thing (idk if halacha or other) not to own a pig.

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:28 am
Below is from the research I did on the topic. Of course, ask your own shaila:

The Prohibited
There are certain animals that halacha clearly says are forbidden to own. There are times, however, when it may be permissible to own even these animals, such as when someone requires a guard dog because they live in a particularly dangerous area; or one is given one of the following animals as a form of payment and needs to retain possession of it until the animal can be sold at fair market value. In such instances, one must ask a sha’ailah regarding how to proceed.

ASSUR TO OWN
Pigs
An aggressive dog that scares people, even if its bite is not dangerous.
Lions, tigers, bears, leopards, wolves and poisonous snakes, because they can never be truly domesticated and are a constant threat to life. (Other wild animals aren’t specified.)
Small grazing animals (goats and sheep) as they tend to graze in others’ fields. Some hold this only applies to individuals in Eretz Yisroel who live in inhabited areas; others suggest it may be applicable wherever there are Jewish-owned fields.

The Permissible
According to the letter of the law, the majority of other animals (according to most poskim) are permissible to own. There are many types of animals not included on this list, but this covers most of the commonly owned animals, as well as some of the exotic:

MUTTAR TO OWN
Domesticated cats (hybrid cats are questionable as they are more dangerous; one must ask a she’eilah)
Reptiles (lizards, geckos, iguanas, and the like)
Amphibians (frogs, toads, turtles)
Rodents (mice, gerbils, guinea pigs, hamsters, and the like)
Rabbits
Fish
Insects
Birds (It’s questionable whether birds may be kept inside the home. May also be considered tzaar baalei hachaim, as it causes distress to birds to keep them caged.)
Dogs (Most poskim hold that a dog that neither barks nor bites is permissible, though some pasken that it is never permissible.)
Monkeys
Goats and sheep (outside of Eretz Yisroel, according to many authorities).
Equines (horses, donkeys, and the like)

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That’s what I also thought but then when I googled it I saw an article of Chabad.org that says it’s not OK to raise swine even if you don’t plan to eat it. Now I am confused. Wondering if anyone looked into it further.

Chabad has different views on non kosher animals (they don't allow books with non kosher animals or stuffed animals), so you should look for more general sources.

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:39 am
amother [ Holly ] wrote:
Chabad has different views on non kosher animals (they don't allow books with non kosher animals or stuffed animals), so you should look for more general sources.

That's why it's important to differentiate between halach and hashkafa. From what I've learned, halacha says pigs are not ok.

zebra111

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:53 am
If u follow sefardi halacha it is assur to have as a pet any non kosher animal that is generally eaten (including rabbits, much to dds disappointment!). Pigs def fall into that category

amother
Electricblue

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:54 am
Owning pigs is a problem it's basic halacha

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 6:56 am
Piggy is now off the list. Thanks eveyone.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 7:15 am
Kudos, OP.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets