Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
A Woman is no Man

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 9:33 am
Anyone read this?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 9:44 am
Yes, I absolutely hated it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 9:49 am
I thought it was really good but oh so sad. I can’t believe there are people who live like that.
What did you hate about it?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 10:25 am
I hated reading about how the Arab mesora is for the men to beat their wives- reading the details of this abuse and suffering (and ultimately death) was cruel and inhumane. The way the daughters were treated by their father. …The torture and suffering that they endured. It just made be angry. Plus there were 1-2 anti Israel references in the book.

I read as an escape, for entertainment or to gain something. I gained nothing from this book aside for complete disgust with their way of life.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 11:33 am
I read it and loved it and hated it all at the same time. It was very sad and makes me thing of the people I pass on the street, who knows what their private life is like.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 2:02 pm
I read it and while it was very well-written and captivating, I’d suggest skipping it if you’re very sensitive. I can handle a lot (one of my favorite genres is true crime) but something about this book and the character’s cycle of hopelessness just haunted me for days after finishing it.

skyeblue

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 3:33 pm
Never read it, but I read "Kabul Beauty School" a while ago. From the comments here it sounds like it's similar in subject matter. Very painful at least at two points that I remember. Also interesting.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 12 2022, 9:07 pm
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
I read it and while it was very well-written and captivating, I’d suggest skipping it if you’re very sensitive. I can handle a lot (one of my favorite genres is true crime) but something about this book and the character’s cycle of hopelessness just haunted me for days after finishing it.

I’m not so sensitive, I read holocaust books. Maybe because I can relate to those? This was just a horrible read for me. It just made me disgusted
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room