Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What percentage of your salary goes to tuiton?

What percentage of your gross pay to you pay in tuition?
15%  
 16%  [ 6 ]
25%  
 19%  [ 7 ]
33%  
 22%  [ 8 ]
50%  
 11%  [ 4 ]
more than 50%  
 5%  [ 2 ]
less than 15%  
 25%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 36

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 8:43 am
Moving to a new community and our old school worked very differently. New school is asking on financial aid packet what discount we are requesting and we are automatically going to be paying a lot more here as the youngest isnt in the same school system here and tuition is higher, so we are unsure what is reasonable to ask for. Is there any expectation as far as what percentage of a families gross pay they should be paying for tuition. its impossible for us to really budget our expenses as we are moving to a new place and still unsure of a bunch of the moving pieces and what our expenses will be, so I just want to know what is reasonable to request and then we will have to make it work.
gross income is approx 100k and full tuition would be approx 45K for a family size of 8. have to pay additionally for a younger child not in this school.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Moving to a new community and our old school worked very differently. New school is asking on financial aid packet what discount we are requesting and we are automatically going to be paying a lot more here as the youngest isnt in the same school system here and tuition is higher, so we are unsure what is reasonable to ask for. Is there any expectation as far as what percentage of a families gross pay they should be paying for tuition. its impossible for us to really budget our expenses as we are moving to a new place and still unsure of a bunch of the moving pieces and what our expenses will be, so I just want to know what is reasonable to request and then we will have to make it work.
gross income is approx 100k and full tuition would be approx 45K for a family size of 8. have to pay additionally for a younger child not in this school.

Sounds like you're really crunched. Usually schools will have a minimum that you must pay regardless of income. About 3k a kid? We make about 170k gross and pay about 30k in tuition for 4 kids. Just under full tuition.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:21 am
Salary was 100k pretax and full tuition for us would be over 100k (for 6 kids in the school system). We have highly discounted tuition though and pay about 30k. (Baby is an additional 6K per year in babysitting)

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:38 am
I have 5 kids ranging from pre-k to beis medresh. I do not live in the tri-state area and my kids are in regular Bais Yaakov and yeshiva type schools. BH I'm able to pay full tuition and it's close to 70k (including dorming for 2), but it does take most of my salary post tax. My husband's salary covers everything else.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:44 am
Under 10%. But I live in Israel and my children go to national religious public school so the actual tuition is pretty low for the year.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:07 am
My household income is 65k (single mom). One child's tuition is 12k (including discount, asking price closer to 30k). Need to enroll the second daughter in pre school now and not sure how to even go about it. Tuition would be $850 monthly which is $10,500. I'm really stressed.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:20 am
In my kids school with 6 kids at 100k you would be paying min tuition of 3500 per kid or very close to that number. If I don't count nursery school tuition I pay around 10% of my income in elementary school tuition.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:19 pm
The minimum tuition can range from $3,000-$5,000. I wouldn't give them a number, let them come to you with an amount. They have a number they won't go under. Every school varies.
Tuition for my kids is about 40% of income

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:41 pm
I think number of kids makes a difference. I have 4 kids and our tuition is 28,% of our income. It feels like a lot. Our salaries are not growing as fast as our expenses and tuition.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 1:42 pm
I pay over 75 k a year in tuition and next year will be sending a child to seminary which will pick it up to 90k. It is so hard. I am not sure what percentage of my income it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics