Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling on a Friday - No way?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 2:47 pm
What are your thoughts on traveling on Fridays. Growing up it was always drilled into my head what a horrible idea it is. I understand with flights it could get messy quickly. We are scheduled to be away from a Tues-Thurs and I was considering extending the trip to Friday. The drive is 5 hours coming from the North. Would you ever consider this? Shabbos starts at 8pm at least.

Sesame

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 2:49 pm
There are halachic shailos on this. Ask your lor.

mommyla

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 2:50 pm
The rule of thumb is to double the amount of time you think you'll need to arrive on time. Add even more if it's a holiday weekend or you're driving through popular summer locations like the beach.

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:28 pm
I'd be okay with the drive so long as I left ridiculously early. In the old days I'd have even done a short flight scheduled at the crack of dawn. Not now with the way flights are delayed and cancelled left and right.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:33 pm
I’d do (and have done) drive up to 5 hours (say NY to DC or RI) on a Friday

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:37 pm
I avoid it at all costs out of respect for shabbos. But that could be my personal avodah. If you leave double time I'm sure that's ok.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:45 pm
I was told to bring some Shabbos provisions on the trip (like candles and wine) and I plan "just-in-case" stops along the way in case something goes wrong, I.e. find the Chabad Houses along the route.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:45 pm
We do it so long as we have thought out what we would do if things get delayed. Will you be driving in a no man’s land which is very different than driving though various communities with kosher food etc? Is it a direct flight or is there a stopover etc. I didn’t want to travel the Friday of erev pesach because the stakes seemed too high if something went wrong

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:47 pm
I'd leave at 8AM. Every hour later you leave, there'll be traffic building up along the way. There's heavy traffic across the tri state area on Fridays in the summer. A 1.5 hour way has taken us 4-5 hours.

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:53 pm
I think I'd do it with driving but leave first thing in the morning, as others have said, as long as there are multiple possible routes. I once had a 6AM Friday flight in the summer (supposed to be less than 3 hour flight) and it got delayed and delayed and delayed, then had issues landing. I was such a basketcase by the time it landed, super close to shabbos. BH my husband was there to pick me up and we made it home, but I would never do that again.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 4:53 pm
Since it’s summer it’s ok, as long as you leave early.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:52 pm
If you can make it back before Chatzos I don't think there's any problem.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:59 pm
I would never fly on a Friday.
Driving, if you don’t mind leaving early in the morning and you have a reliable car, I would be fine with it, in the summer when Shabbos starts at 8.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:00 pm
A few weeks ago we traveled from Long Island to Teaneck for a simcha. It should normally take an hour. Waze said it would take 2 hours that Friday afternoon. It ended up taking 3 hours and we barely made it. If we ever do that again I would leave much, much earlier.

OP, are you going to have to make Shabbos at the other end? Even if you're going to family, just the unpacking and the bathing for Shabbos take time. I would leave really early Friday morning if it's really worth the time for you to stay over Thursday night. What we usually do on a road trip is plan a Thursday afternoon activity part of the way home, drive some more afterwards, find a scenic place to have a picnic dinner, and then drive the rest of the way home. That way even the drive home feels like an extension of the vacation but we don't have to worry about driving on Friday. If the kids are tired they can sleep in Friday morning while I do laundry and get organized for Shabbos.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:04 pm
Nope
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics