Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
11 year old DD and hair removal.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:46 pm
My just turned 11 year old DD has a moderate amount of hair growing on her underarms and legs. (She also has some upper lip hair and always had a unibrow)

Now that daycamp is coming, I am trying to figure out, at what age to I push her to shave? Or take care of her facial hair? Shes very chilled when it comes to social pressure, and somewhat clueless. I don't know if and when she would decide to on her own.

I just want to make sure she is doing what is socially acceptable, but without pushing it on her too soon. I live in lakewood, if that matters.

Also, does anyone have a good recommendation for a beginners razer that won't cause nicks?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:48 pm
Don't push. Do let her know that most girls shave their underarm hair and their leg hair. Get her a shaver and teach her how to use it but let it be her choice.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:50 pm
My dd is 12 I plan in telling her she can remove under arm hair and hair sticking out of underwear. I don’t want to pressure her to do her legs. If she decides to on her own then she can.

observer

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 6:52 pm
Great shaver for teens:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004....._page

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:00 pm
Thank you!

I would still love to hear more input. Is underarm hair really socially acceptable??

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:13 pm
Quote:
Is underarm hair really socially acceptable??

NO
Underarm hair you should push her to shave. I don't think it's acceptable for a young girl at any age.
Legs and face can come later, when she asks for it

Also, regarding a bathing suit. Shorts are very in style now for swimming. If you encourage that she wouldn't need to even think about hair down there

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My just turned 11 year old DD has a moderate amount of hair growing on her underarms and legs. (She also has some upper lip hair and always had a unibrow)

Now that daycamp is coming, I am trying to figure out, at what age to I push her to shave? Or take care of her facial hair? Shes very chilled when it comes to social pressure, and somewhat clueless. I don't know if and when she would decide to on her own.

I just want to make sure she is doing what is socially acceptable, but without pushing it on her too soon. I live in lakewood, if that matters.

Also, does anyone have a good recommendation for a beginners razer that won't cause nicks?

Lol this is my daughter. Her hair on her upper lip is really bothering me but it doesn't bother her. I told her we can remove it but she didn't seem interested so I told her whenever she is ready to let me know. It's hard because I don't want to make her self conscious but I don't want her to look awkward.

amother
Crocus

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:48 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
My dd is 12 I plan in telling her she can remove under arm hair and hair sticking out of underwear. I don’t want to pressure her to do her legs. If she decides to on her own then she can.
What’s the simplest way to remove hair sticking out of underwear? Waxing that area is so painful..

fiji

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 1:21 am
Venus 5 blade is the best!! Super smooth and no cuts without using any shaving creams

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:42 am
Why push her to start shaving or removing the hair in any fashion, at all? Why cant you wait until its something that SHE wants to do? There is literally no harm at all with a girl not shaving if she doesnt want, unless other girls are teasing her, but you didnt say that was happening.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:43 am
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
Quote:
Is underarm hair really socially acceptable??

NO
Underarm hair you should push her to shave. I don't think it's acceptable for a young girl at any age.
Legs and face can come later, when she asks for it

Also, regarding a bathing suit. Shorts are very in style now for swimming. If you encourage that she wouldn't need to even think about hair down there
What???? So if an 8 year old has underarm hair, she should shave it? Why? Its not bothering anyone. And if she isnt bothered by it, what in the world is the big deal?

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:53 am
Never too early to teach her how disgusting the female body is.

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 6:42 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why push her to start shaving or removing the hair in any fashion, at all? Why cant you wait until its something that SHE wants to do? There is literally no harm at all with a girl not shaving if she doesnt want, unless other girls are teasing her, but you didnt say that was happening.
I can’t speak for anyone else, but my 12 year old is the type to insist on removing the hair showing out of her bathing suit and I totally understand. But I don’t want her to wax there ,it’s too painful.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:26 am
I found nair cream to be a good solution for my 11 year old for her upper lip, it is painless and does the job. She shaves her legs with a razor whenever the hair gets noticeable and she has to wear a coverup for swimming in camp so I don’t have to worry about that. My daughter was self conscious about the hair, that’s why I addressed it.

Aurora

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:44 am
I got swim shorts because I was conscious about the hair showing in a usual swim bottom, and didn't want to bother with removing.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:49 am
My almost 12 year old asked me if she can remove underarm hair before camp. Her legs aren't bad, she doesn't want to start with that.

beadazzled

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:06 pm
Waxing is an option for eyebrows and lip. It's fast, hair doesn't grow back as coarse. I took my daughter to get her eyebrows waxed when she was 4. She had a unibrow and moustache and didn't like it. I didn't say anything. She brought it up to me and said she didn't like it. I told her waxing would hurt for a second, she said fine. I asked the pediatrician if it was ok, he said absolutely. She left the salon feeling really good about herself. While all of these comments about "hair is fine" are nice in theory, we are not European. American women shave their underarms and legs and are into grooming. As far as bikini area, swim shorts are the perfect solution for that. Regarding legs and underarms, you can teach your daughter how to use a razor or buy her a shaver. If it's YOUR issue and not hers, I would leave it alone until she says something.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:48 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What???? So if an 8 year old has underarm hair, she should shave it? Why? Its not bothering anyone. And if she isnt bothered by it, what in the world is the big deal?

Kids make fun of it no? Most kids would mind being made fun of

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 12:49 pm
beadazzled wrote:
Waxing is an option for eyebrows and lip. It's fast, hair doesn't grow back as coarse. I took my daughter to get her eyebrows waxed when she was 4. She had a unibrow and moustache and didn't like it. I didn't say anything. She brought it up to me and said she didn't like it. I told her waxing would hurt for a second, she said fine. I asked the pediatrician if it was ok, he said absolutely. She left the salon feeling really good about herself. While all of these comments about "hair is fine" are nice in theory, we are not European. American women shave their underarms and legs and are into grooming. As far as bikini area, swim shorts are the perfect solution for that. Regarding legs and underarms, you can teach your daughter how to use a razor or buy her a shaver. If it's YOUR issue and not hers, I would leave it alone until she says something.

4?? Wow. My DD is almost 4 and she has dark hair genes and up close you can see her unibrow and upper lip hair but it’s not too noticeable yet. But I’ve been wondering what to do when she gets a little older because I don’t want her walking around with a noticeable mustache. I was a clueless kid and I remember the janitor at my school told me my face had something on it. Like he thought it was actually dirt and then a kid made a comment about my mustache. Thankfully my friend with dark hair helped me out and introduced to me to Jolene. Wish I hadn’t waited until I started getting teased/people pointing it out to me. But I was clueless…

beadazzled

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 2:01 pm
Jolene is terrible. Who wants a blonde mustache?
A girl in my class had a darker complexion and walked around with a blonde mustache.
It looked ridiculous.
I did not want my daughter being bullied.
The mustache waxing took 20 seconds, the eyebrow 2 seconds (just the middle so she could have 2 eyebrows).
Kids are ruthless and mean. No need for a girl to get bullied over this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children