Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How to deal with dandruff and oily hair 15 yr old girl

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 8:15 pm
any tips? I keep trying everything google tells me, nothing working...

Not_in_my_town

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 8:41 pm
Do you ever scrub her hair for her? I find that my daughter is simply lazy and doesn't scrub it well.
Every now and again and I wash her hair for her, lathering it well and scrubbing it all over.
Her hair is so much cleaner and has less dandruff.
Some kids are just too lazy to clean it well.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 8:45 pm
I had this...
pretty sure it is hormonal.
Here are two options to try- one which my sister did and worked well for her was to wash with dawn dish soap. You can google for more specifics since I'm not sure for how long. I would assume until it gets better.

For me, I think it got better when I started taking a multivitamin. I can't say which thing in the vitamin helped, but it is worth a try. It may have even been a prenatal vitamin since it was before I was getting married... I didn't take it for that but noticed a correlation and may have been due to that.

Good luck!

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 8:56 pm
Dandruff is very often candida

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:43 pm
What kind of hair does she have? Thin and straight? Thick and curly? With the latter, often it's hard to get product to the head itself- you really need to work at it. And if the hair is oily, the scalp doesn't breathe much.

Also, think about if she's always had it or if not, when it started.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:51 pm
her hair is somewhere between regular and thin, and a bit wavy. its been going on probably since she's 12. I have scrubbed it for her, and she claims now she scrubs it really hard. its the same spot mostly - when she splits her hair in middle - its one side thats always oily. the dandruff fluctuates. right now oily is more the issue.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:16 pm
I recently saw a hack for oily hair... Reverse shampoo. Conditioner first. Then shampoo.

https://www.emedihealth.com/sk.....shing

I found an article about it

amother
Broom

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:09 am
I have found plain old baking soda to be amazing for this! You put on a generous amount, especially in that area, and scrub it all around. Then rinse. Then use regular shampoo. It's good to do this once a week and should take care of the issue immediately.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 10:39 pm
ty all for your help. I'll try some of these ideas, hopefully we'll make some headway.

crema

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 11:16 pm
Have you ever tried Apple Cider Vinegar rinse? For the rinse use any brand ACV. Add 1/2 cup to 1 and 1/2 cups water. Put it in a spray bottle and and use after shampooing but before conditioning your hair. Spray the mixture at the roots and scalp, then pour the rest over the hair...let sit a minute, rinse, then condition. The ACV will help with both oiliness and dandruff. (just be careful not to get it into the eyes), We use to use it every time after shampooing, and we had very healthy looking hair. Voila!

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 11:21 pm
Is your daughter stressed out? I have found that there is a very direct and obvious connection between my dandruff flair ups and my stress levels.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 10:57 pm
My daughter suffered from dandruff and oily hair for years. I tried tons of shampoos including natural tea tree and different types of dandruff shampoos and nothing worked. I found that sometimes the cause of it is buildup in the hair so a clarifying shampoo can work to remove residue. She now uses Dove derma care scalp shampoo and it helps manage her dandruff and oily hair. It's also important to rub the shampoo in the hair and leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing the hair.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 11:01 pm
Take her to the dermatologist. They will know exactly why the dandruff is forming and how to treat it.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 12:03 am
Look into the medicated anti-dandruff shampoo Nizoral. I remember using it back when I was younger and it worked! After it was under control I used Head and Shoulders.

jflower

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 3:38 am
https://www.dollartree.com/del.....33798

Buy her a scalp massager like this.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:35 am
I had this with my daughter and blowdrying her hair helped with the oilyness. whenever she blowdries her head her hair is less oily..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children