Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
$20K for Two Kids
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:26 pm
Is this normal? I live out-of-town (like, way out-of-town) in a LCOL state and pay $19,800/year for two kids in a Chabad preschool.

It seems like a lot compared to what I'm seeing here. I see a lot of people say they pay around 6K per child per year. How is this possible? We get a "scholarship" but it's like.. 100$ maybe.

I want to have a third baby but it's not feasible with how much we pay. I'm scared to ask for a discount. Should I, or is this a reasonable amount to be paying? I really have no idea. Everyone I know sends to public school.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:28 pm
It’s more to the expensive side. Gather up your courage and ask for a discount. If you don’t stick up for yourself no one will. Why do you live way oot? I am just curious

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:29 pm
This is a normal price outside of NY/NJ. But absolutely ask for a discount if you need one. Schools expect it. It's not a Jewish hashkafa to stop yourself from having a child because of tuition costs, and I imagine the school is on board with this.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is this normal? I live out-of-town (like, way out-of-town) in a LCOL state and pay $19,800/year for two kids in a Chabad preschool.

It seems like a lot compared to what I'm seeing here. I see a lot of people say they pay around 6K per child per year. How is this possible? We get a "scholarship" but it's like.. 100$ maybe.

I want to have a third baby but it's not feasible with how much we pay. I'm scared to ask for a discount. Should I, or is this a reasonable amount to be paying? I really have no idea. Everyone I know sends to public school.

In my way out of town area, it’s more like $25,000 per kid! At the frum school! With no frills.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:34 pm
Sounds amazing to me. I pay about 15k all in for one in (In NY) and that’s the cheapest of all the schools near me

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:35 pm
Is this full time day care or half day preschool?

tichellady

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:37 pm
This is very cheap where I live. I pay $25kfor one kid

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:44 pm
flowerpower wrote:
It’s more to the expensive side. Gather up your courage and ask for a discount. If you don’t stick up for yourself no one will. Why do you live way oot? I am just curious

I'm a BT and became one in my far-flung southwestern state. We are still here for now but planning to move somewhere with a bigger community once I get a job elsewhere. Hopefully soon!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:44 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Is this full time day care or half day preschool?

Full-time

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:46 pm
Welcome to the frum word! I am also a BT and had sticker shock. Education is a huge expense.

amother
Darkblue

Legal full time playgroup in lkwd is about $1000 per month per kid.

The ppl who pay less
Hours are way less
On school schedule
Not legal

So it’s not so outrageous

I think in the non Jewish world full time preschool care is extremely expensive bec child teacher ratio is so high for so many hours

amother
OP

tichellady wrote:
This is very cheap where I live. I pay $25kfor one kid

😲 Wow. Where do you live? We live in one of the poorest states in the country so wages aren't super high..

mha3484

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:47 pm
My local midwest jcc is over 1k a month for 9:00-3:30 so not so different then what you pay.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:49 pm
That's about we're paying for next year. It's supposed to be a good price for our area.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:50 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Welcome to the frum word! I am also a BT and had sticker shock. Education is a huge expense.

Yeah, it really is!! I'm so glad they are in the school, it's fantastic. But with inflation we are feeling a pinch.. both my kids (under 4) were unexpectedly hospitalized for serious medical issues last year. It was tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket. I had to beg for money from the community so that didn't bankrupt us, so I guess I feel guilty asking for more help in the way of discounts.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 11:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm a BT and became one in my far-flung southwestern state. We are still here for now but planning to move somewhere with a bigger community once I get a job elsewhere. Hopefully soon!

Gotcha! Hatzlacha raba!!

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah, it really is!! I'm so glad they are in the school, it's fantastic. But with inflation we are feeling a pinch.. both my kids (under 4) were unexpectedly hospitalized for serious medical issues last year. It was tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket. I had to beg for money from the community so that didn't bankrupt us, so I guess I feel guilty asking for more help in the way of discounts.

I have no information and don’t know if I’m making any sense, but would Oorah help in such a situation?

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 8:56 am
I live pretty much in town. Honestly, that's not so outrageous. I am paying for one of my kids 20K, another kid 10K, and another kid 9k. They rent three separate schools. If they were in one school. I would also have a tuition bill higher than that.

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:14 am
Everyone that is saying their tuition is 15k+ Per kid can you tell me which schools so I know not to send there when my kids are old enough for school???? I’m only halfway joking. Seriously speaking, do any of you send to right wing schools? I’m hoping these prices are for MO schools and won’t be applicable to me.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 9:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Tuition for my preschooler is 8k.
Another school I looked at was 10k.
I'm in NY.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics