Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Please share your fruit salad recipes
1  2  3  Next

relaxation

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 9:44 pm
Since spring is here and there are more variety fruits out there in the stores I recently have been craving to make fruit salad but never made a good one.

Does anyone have good recipes of various fruits that mix together ? (not just random this with that but , a mix that the tastes "blend" together)

Last edited by relaxation on Sun, Oct 23 2022, 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 10:41 pm
relaxation wrote:
Since spring is here and there are more variety fruits out there in the stores I recently have been craving to make fruit salad but never made a good one.

Does anyone have good recipes of various fruits that mix together ? (not just random this with that but , a mix that the tastes "blend" together)

Also please no pineapples (I am sensitive) or grapefruits (someone in the family can't have it)

Also awaiting to hear of good recipes

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 12:46 am
Bump

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:29 pm
If you drop peaches in boiling water for one minute the skin comes right off without cooking the flesh.

Balling melons is an elegant touch and you can get a melon baller cheap.

As the notes indicate if you don't want to use brandy just use any fruit juice. My mother used to make fruit salad with fresh fruits except she would add a can of mandarin oranges for the juice.

Of course there is the traditional BBQ dessert where you inject a watermelon with lots of tequila and let it sit for several hours in the refrigerator

SUMMER FRUIT SALAD FOR A CROWD

Excerpt From: Barbara Costello 0 Celebrate with Babs

I have made this delicious fruit salad more times than I can count. It was served at my cousin Pam’s bridal shower, at many family picnics, and most recently at my daughter Elizabeth’s baby shower. It serves a crowd, and with the brandy-infused peach sauce, this really is the most elegant fruit salad I have ever made.

prep time 40 minutes   cook time none   serves 15–20

INGREDIENTS

1 large watermelon
1 cantaloupe or honeydew
2 pints (680g) strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 lb (1kg) fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
2 pints (680g) blueberries

Sauce:

1 lb (450g) peeled peaches
½ cup fresh lime juice
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brandy

DIRECTIONS

In a food processor or blender, combine all of the ingredients for the sauce until smooth.
Use a melon baller to scoop the watermelon and cantaloupe into balls.

Add all of the fruit to a very large serving bowl, and toss gently in the sauce. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

BABS SAYS...

You can replace the brandy with any flavor of fruit juice.
You can serve the fruit salad in a large bowl, or you can use the empty watermelon rinds as your serving pieces.

MAKE IT AHEAD

Prepare all of the ingredients the night before, and assemble just before you serve

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:37 pm
Wow ! Thank You so much !
3 questions

1 Can I subsitute sugar with honey ?

2 Sorry , but what is brandy ?

3 Will the salad still be ok if for some reason I don't use the dressing ?

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:38 pm
Also wanted to know if anyone has any recipes using mangos ?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:40 pm
relaxation wrote:
Wow ! Thank You so much !
3 questions

1 Can I subsitute sugar with honey ?

2 Sorry , but what is brandy ?

3 Will the salad still be ok if for some reason I don't use the dressing ?

Brandy is a type of liqueur - you can substitute another liqueur or fruit juice as stated but good fruit salads generally have some kind of "dressing" and aren't just cut up fresh fruit.

Honey has a different consistency - what would be the purpose - they are both simple sugars.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:41 pm
relaxation wrote:
Also wanted to know if anyone has any recipes using mangos ?

Mango tea bread? Mango and bean salad? Mango salsa? Mango chutney? Mango smoothies?

How did you want to use mango as there are loads of recipes using mango. I find cooking with fresh mango to do a bit of a potchke because peeling and slicing are a bit difficult so if I am cooking with mangos I generally use frozen mangos.

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:45 pm
mango in fruit salad

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:46 pm
Amarante wrote:
Brandy is a type of liqueur - you can substitute another liqueur or fruit juice as stated but good fruit salads generally have some kind of "dressing" and aren't just cut up fresh fruit.

Honey has a different consistency - what would be the purpose - they are both simple sugars.
someone in the family is on the scd diet and can't have sugar

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:46 pm
relaxation wrote:
mango in fruit salad

Just add it - there really is not magic formula in terms of what works together. Mangos and peaches have similar tastes and textures if both are ripe.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:48 pm
relaxation wrote:
someone in the family is on the scd diet and can't have sugar

Not to offer an opinion but honey is the same as sugar and fruit is essentially fructose. Of course fruit also has fiber and other benefits in a healthy diet but honey and sugar are both empty calories and digested by the body in an identical manner.

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:48 pm
Also You just reminded me , the mangos that the mexican people sell in the streets (sometimes in the side walk and sometimes walking by the cars while the light is still red) and they come with sauces etc. What are the ingriedients they use ? They look so appetizing but obviously I can't have it. How do I make it at home ?

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:51 pm
Amarante wrote:
Just add it - there really is not magic formula in terms of what works together. Mangos and peaches have similar tastes and textures if both are ripe.
I will add it

there were times I just mixed stuff and it wasn't bad but it wasn't that great either.
About a month ago I was hungry and bought a fruit salad in a supermarket in a cup with just pomegranate and sliced mango. At first I thought it's just a mix of two random things but I when I ate it I felt like I am eating something special as if the two fruits "blended"

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:53 pm
Amarante wrote:
Not to offer an opinion but honey is the same as sugar and fruit is essentially fructose. Of course fruit also has fiber and other benefits in a healthy diet but honey and sugar are both empty calories and digested by the body in an identical manner.
I agree as well, just don't know why the diet makes it like that.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 3:55 pm
relaxation wrote:
I will add it

there were times I just mixed stuff and it wasn't bad but it wasn't that great either.
About a month ago I was hungry and bought a fruit salad in a supermarket in a cup with just pomegranate and sliced mango. At first I thought it's just a mix of two random things but I when I ate it I felt like I am eating something special as if the two fruits "blended"

I love pomegranate so they make everything taste and look special.

But in terms of the combination the mangos are sweet and the pomegranate arils are a bit tart so sweet and tart are food combinations that our tongue loves.

Also there is the nice texture because pomengranate arils are crunchy and the mango is very smooth and succulent.

relaxation

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 4:40 pm
Amarante wrote:
I love pomegranate so they make everything taste and look special.

But in terms of the combination the mangos are sweet and the pomegranate arils are a bit tart so sweet and tart are food combinations that our tongue loves.

Also there is the nice texture because pomengranate arils are crunchy and the mango is very smooth and succulent.
I also recenty saw a salad in a online restaurant which had mango and dill. Although it sounds weird I thought I might want to try it out one day.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 5:27 pm
relaxation wrote:
I also recenty saw a salad in a online restaurant which had mango and dill. Although it sounds weird I thought I might want to try it out one day.

I am not a real fan of dill so I don't think I would like that specific combination.

On the other hand, there are many very elegant restaurants with amazing chefs who do unexpected sweet and savory dessert combinations.

And fruit even traditionally has been used in lots of main course entrees with meat, chicken and fish and no one thinks that it is strange.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 6:18 pm
A combination I love is honeydew, cataloupe and mango with passionfruit pulp as the "dressing".

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 7:09 pm
This is my favorite tropical salad:

Cut up apple
Cut up grapes
Cut up strawberries
Cut up peaches or nectarines
Cut up pineapple

(I see you said no pineapple so you can just skip that out or maybe replace with mango)

The pieces should be diced evenly and the ratio of all items should be the same.

Dressing:

Honey, orange juice, lime juice (honey and orange should be equal part; lime juice half part)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics