Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My son keeps on hurting his ankle. Anyone have this experien

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 12:56 pm
ce ?

Basically over the past two years my son keeps on spraining his ankle and there is a little pain and swelling but nothing broken (happened like 5 times already). I asked him if he fell or did any strainfull activity and he said no but he thinks it because that in Yeshiva or while he walks in the street the sole of his foot gets very itchy in the shoe and he obviously cant stick his hand inside to itch so he "presses" his foot against the ground to itch it multiple times a day , and that might be the cause of it. He has done x rays but nothing fractured b''h . He did a mri which showed small tendonitis. Anyways he just waits a few days till the pain goes away and things get better and then in a few months the same things happen. No doctor was able to explain or give a solution (other than telling him don't bang on the ground which is not easy when he has an itch). Is there anything that can be done ? Does anyone have a similar situation ? What doctor should he see ?
Also I forgot to add he has wide feet and insoles in his shoes (we all have it in the family)if that makes a difference.

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 1:00 pm
I'd go to a chiropractor. If he's out of alignment he can be stepping wrong/ putting more weight and pressure on one side, etc. If that didn't turn up anything I'd see an orthopedist next.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 1:19 pm
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
I'd go to a chiropractor. If he's out of alignment he can be stepping wrong/ putting more weight and pressure on one side, etc. If that didn't turn up anything I'd see an orthopedist next.

I had the same thought. A chiropractor or craniosacral therapist can prob be more helpful at this point.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 1:20 pm
Any good Recommendations ? NYC

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 1:30 pm
Oh also I forgot to add that one time (right before purim this year) the swelling got so big and there was a lot pain that he wasn't able to move his foot even nor his toes. The doctor gave him a shot of cortisol and it got better. I just would rather prevent having to get the swelling in the first place.

Mommy1:)

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:01 pm
I would recommend asking for a referral for PT - to work on strengthening exercises so that he's less likely to hurt his ankle in the future. PT can make a world of difference - one of my kids kept hurting a knee with occasional swelling and PT helped!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:06 pm
Thanks. So no one things the scratching/pressing on the floor is the issue ?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:07 pm
Rheumatologist. And definitelt get a PT referral, and when you're there, get recommendations for new shoes.

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. So no one things the scratching/pressing on the floor is the issue ?

could be a sign of itching due to swelling... If you see anything on the skin try a pediatrician/dermatologist, but likely PT will be most helpful.

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:25 pm
I had recurring ankle sprains because of stretched out ligaments. It doesn’t really sound like that’s the case here though. I’d first look into a rheumatologist to rule out any autoimmune issues and if that’s clear then try PT to strengthen the muscles around his ankle.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:40 pm
Op, my son was hard on his shoes. wide feet we got him good solid shoes. And arches. He complained of itchy feet. would go barefoot. When we bought him shoes with holes in them his foot could breath.

Your son foot should not blow up from just movi g his foot eveyone gave great advice for that. But for the solution to stop the itching. use powder. And wear shoes that let his feet breath.

SYA

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 2:49 pm
My friend had that every time she got strep.
Take a strep culture.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Jun 14 2022, 4:19 pm
Look into Hypermobility.

But once an ankle is sprained it’s very common for it to keep happening again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics