Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
White kitchen counters help

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:19 am
I'm remodeling our kitchen and I want beautiful white counters. It seems like granite is the best material to use in terms of durability. I love the look of marble but I'm not the type to run to wipe up every droplet of water, plus while in the throws of a big cooking session I might have some acidic food splatter on the counters for hours before I notice. I'm terrified I'll ruin it. I'm confused about the difference between corian and quartz - as both seem to be composite stone? Not sure what this means in terms of ability to kasher (not something I plan to do regularly but want to know I could) but seems like these materials may also be prone to discoloration as well as some heat sensitivity issues. So I'm thinking for sure granite is the way to go but is there any white granite out there that actually looks white? When I google white granite it's always got so much of the grey and black in it that it doesn't really translate as "white" when taken in as a whole. I'm not looking for solid white. I think some of the natural specs and streaks are beautiful, but is there a white granite that is more white than anything else?

Heyaaa

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 5:31 am
any light colored granite needs a lot of care to keep it looking nice. I learned that the hard way. Mine has water stains all around the edge. I was told that I have to let it dry out for a few weeks. It will have to wait until we go on an extended vacation. If you want a hands-off stone then get dekton or a good quartz. Instead of kashering, you can cover the counters on pesach.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 9:30 am
Heyaaa wrote:
any light colored granite needs a lot of care to keep it looking nice. I learned that the hard way. Mine has water stains all around the edge. I was told that I have to let it dry out for a few weeks. It will have to wait until we go on an extended vacation. If you want a hands-off stone then get dekton or a good quartz. Instead of kashering, you can cover the counters on pesach.

Had to google dekton. Looks great. Sounds indestructible. Any downside? Or is it much more costly than granite and marble?

I have a Pesach kitchen so I don't have any plans for kashering. DH just feels very strongly that the counters should be "kasherable" just in case something happens. I mean what would happen if theoretically if a boiling pot of chicken soup got knocked over on a dairy counter? I try very hard to not put anything that hot on a counter ever anyhow. I have trivets out all the time. But when there are always other helping hands around (kids, guests, hired kitchen help) things could happen.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 9:43 am
Dekton is very expensive and needs a very skilled installer. When I remodeled I considered it but didn't go with it because I didn't care for it aesthetically.

It is also prone to chipping and can't be repaired if chipped.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 9:52 am
Amarante wrote:
Dekton is very expensive and needs a very skilled installer. When I remodeled I considered it but didn't go with it because I didn't care for it aesthetically.

It is also prone to chipping and can't be repaired if chipped.

So what's the answer? How do I get a countertop that is white, durable, kasherable?

Also, when you say prone to chipping - when I googled it, their website made it sound practically indestructible and guaranteed for 25 years. Even my current granite counters have some tiny chips. Mostly around the sink area where everyone knocks the pots and pans into the sides. Is there any countertop material that is truly chip resistant and heat resistant and stain resistant?

I'm spending a lot of money and expect to be with this kitchen for decades. So I want to do it right.

chenvchesed

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 9:56 am
We used caesarstone with a marble look. It has has hechsher for kashering.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:21 am
chenvchesed wrote:

That is GREAT to know. Going to look into this. Ty.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:24 am
chenvchesed wrote:

Did you chose this mainly for the look? Or is it easier maintenance and more durable than other stone counters?

chenvchesed

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:26 am
We wanted the look of marble without the maintenance issues. It is very durable.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:33 am
Ceasarstone seems like a type of quartz. Which rav says it's ok to kasher?

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:36 am
Quartzite. Look it up. Is a natural stone and can find some that look like marble. Be very careful though cuz some that they label as quartzite is really dolamite marble (which is beautiful but acts like marble) unfortunately it comes with a big price tag and is the most expensive. Any of the high end kitchens that hav an absolutely gorgeous peice of stone is quartzite.

chenvchesed

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:41 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Ceasarstone seems like a type of quartz. Which rav says it's ok to kasher?

https://www.crcweb.org/kashuring_stove.php

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 11:56 am
chenvchesed wrote:

Fascinating, thank you!

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 1:16 pm
chenvchesed wrote:

Just as an fyi, there are different opinions as to whether plastic and other synthetic materials can be kashered. cRC does say you can kasher these materials, and thus holds that the counters are kasherable. Many other kashrus agencies say otherwise. It might be worth asking a shaila.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen