Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Drinks and salad for bas mitzvah

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 8:57 am
I'm making a small bas mitzvah for my daughter in the house. It will probably be 24 people, mostly 6th grade girls, maybe two teachers, two younger sisters.... We are buying pizza and fries and I was thinking maybe serving some bagged salad and dressing and drinks. Wondering how many bags of salad should I buy and should I do coleslaw or iceberg salad mix. and what type of drinks and how many?
Thank you!

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 9:54 am
Not sure if 6th graders go for this but my initial reaction was to make a salad bar.
I would use romaine (or iceberg) and then have separate bowls of diced cucumbers, peppers, cherry tomatoes, pickles, baby corn, olives .... whatever you like/think ppl like. Plus some toppings like croutons, nish nosh, craisins ... plus 2-3 dressings in squeeze bottles.
I’ve done this at Chanukah parties and everyone loves it. I fill up those salad containers that the stores have with lettuce and then everyone takes one and adds whatever toppings and stuff they like.

shmosmom

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 9:57 am
Wouldn't do cole slaw. Maybe a classic kale ceaser salad?

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:01 am
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
Not sure if 6th graders go for this but my initial reaction was to make a salad bar.
I would use romaine (or iceberg) and then have separate bowls of diced cucumbers, peppers, cherry tomatoes, pickles, baby corn, olives .... whatever you like/think ppl like. Plus some toppings like croutons, nish nosh, craisins ... plus 2-3 dressings in squeeze bottles.
I’ve done this at Chanukah parties and everyone loves it. I fill up those salad containers that the stores have with lettuce and then everyone takes one and adds whatever toppings and stuff they like.

Salad bar sounds like a great idea. My kids B"H will eat pretty much anything. It's been an eye opener to see how picky other kids are. Being able to choose will be very welcome for those children.

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:12 am
We did a huge make your own salad bar for my dd it was a lot of fun.
Lettuce as base

Veggies:
Tomato
Pepper
Cucumber
Red onion
Corn
Baby corn
Purple cabbage
Olives
Pickles
Chickpeas

Toppings:
Craisins
Candied nuts
Pistachios
Nish nosh crackers
Croutons

Choice of 3-4 salad dressings.

Drinks:
Iced coffee (I bought small clear coffee cups with covers online and printed labels to personalize - get smallest size cups or will need a lot to fill).
We prefilled and put by every seat with a pretty straw

Other drinks:
Water, orange juice, lemon aid, iced tea

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:56 am
I’ve seen salad bar using these
https://www.dollartree.com/squ.....49995
To display the veggies

For drinks something pink
Pink lemonade
Or
Pink Hibiscus ice tea
Serve in fancy martini glasses

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 11:00 am
thanks everyone. think I figured it out Smile

beadazzled

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 10:48 am
I would get 5 bags of the LARGE bodek ROMAINE salad bags. Buy a container of the MINI Caesar croutons. Make life easier for yourself and make a Caesar salad. Everyone loves that and it's easy. I am always asked to make my Caesar salad. I will share my recipe. DRESSING: 1 cup mayo, 1/2 cup water, 3-4 Truvia ( I don't use sugar in dressings), about 5 garlic cloves ( you can add more if you want it super garlicky, not recommended for this occasion), a splash of vinegar, about 1 TBSP dijon mustard. Add the vinegar and garlic to the blender and blend it. Then add the rest of the ingredients and blend till smooth. I blend it in a mini Ninja blender. I would triple this recipe to make sure you have enough. Good luck and mazel tov! (you may onlly need 4 bags of the salad, but I personally would get 5 just to play it safe)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics