Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
When to travel - working out everyone's schedule. Raaaah!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:20 am
I don't work in the summer. DH works every day but it's easier for him to take off when my girls are also off. Sounds great! I started planning a five day family trip to a beautiful location. So why arent' we going then? Because we found out my boys are going on a school trip and don't want to miss out. In addition one DD's day camp is starting two days before that trip, and the other DD's day camp is starting the following week and neither one wants to miss the first day of day camp. I'm left with ONE day.

If I push off a family trip until after day camp, well that's when DS is in camp iyh and he comes home the day before school starts again.

So I'm left wondering: When do families of children of multiple ages and schedules take a family trip?

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:29 am
Honestly (as a working parent) I’d be thrilled that I had that much camp ‘coverage’ ! I’d skip the summer vacation and go away Chol hamoed when everyone is off

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 10:41 am
Oops, wrong thread

essie14

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 11:21 am
We tried (family of 5 kids) and we just couldn't work it out.
We will be doing day trips in August when my little one has no camp and whomever is around that day can join.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 11:24 am
Looks like someone might have to miss something….
We are hoping to go after camp, and my husband and one of the kids will probably miss the trip. Both are fine with it, and I’m fine going without my husband. I’d like to try to find someone to come along with me, as a second pair of hands but we will see what happens.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 11:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't work in the summer. DH works every day but it's easier for him to take off when my girls are also off. Sounds great! I started planning a five day family trip to a beautiful location. So why arent' we going then? Because we found out my boys are going on a school trip and don't want to miss out. In addition one DD's day camp is starting two days before that trip, and the other DD's day camp is starting the following week and neither one wants to miss the first day of day camp. I'm left with ONE day.

If I push off a family trip until after day camp, well that's when DS is in camp iyh and he comes home the day before school starts again.

So I'm left wondering: When do families of children of multiple ages and schedules take a family trip?

Who says they take family trips?
In actually happy for you that your kids are "camp covered" and on top of it that you have the financial ability to make a family trip. You are blessed! Smile

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 11:41 am
Thats the reason we haven't taken family trips since the kids were little. Now we can only do it chol hamoed which doesn't always work out and I hate going places at a time the whole world is there.
Oh well. First world problems.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 11:45 am
This is why we’ve stopped doing big family trips.
It didn’t make sense to pull kids out of camps they lived that we were paying $$$ for
We try to do nice big Sunday trips. Or go away for Shabbos only.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 7:12 pm
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
Honestly (as a working parent) I’d be thrilled that I had that much camp ‘coverage’ ! I’d skip the summer vacation and go away Chol hamoed when everyone is off

I didn't give all the details, but don't be jealous. I have one DD who has 1 week vacation between school and day camp, and the other DD who has 2 weeks vacation between school and her day camp.
Which leaves me with a total of 3 weeks of them both being home, but for two of those weeks, one before and one after, there will only be one home, so they won't even have each other for company. It's so ridiculous that the day camps didn't coordinate their schedules to be all the same time. Had I known about this, I would have sent DD1 to a different day camp, but they didn't mention it upon registration.

Chol Hamoed has its own challenges, but I guess that's where it's at.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 7:14 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Who says they take family trips?
In actually happy for you that your kids are "camp covered" and on top of it that you have the financial ability to make a family trip. You are blessed! Smile

I'm not really camp covered as I explained in the previous post. As for financial ability, well, everyone prioritizes what's important for them. An annual family trip is very important to us, so even the years we were tight, we made it a priority. Camping is a pretty cheap trip, and that's what we have done some years.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 7:18 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
Thats the reason we haven't taken family trips since the kids were little. Now we can only do it chol hamoed which doesn't always work out and I hate going places at a time the whole world is there.
Oh well. First world problems.

And also some places aren't really geshmak to go on Chol Hamoed. For example, I've been to Niagara chol hamoed pesach, but I've also been there twice in the summer, and you cannot compare the experience.

But it seems like that's the only option left. It's complicated with Pesach food restrictions of no mishing or on Sukkos with Sukka restrictions with men who don't eat anything outside of a sukka.

I'm trying not to complain, but I'd love to work it out better.

Last year we were kinda stuck too and we did a one day overnight camping trip. I was hoping this year to do something a bit more grand, but it seems like it won't happen.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics