Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Not approved for CPSE

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 1:45 pm
My toddler was not approved for services through CPSE. Our main concern was that he doesn't do well with kids his age, doesn't want to play with them, talk to them or want to have any socializations. What can I do now to help this child? I was hoping we would get some sort of help from the district...

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 1:47 pm
You can try to get services through your insurance. Some like medicaid cover for certain things.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 1:48 pm
How old is he?

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 1:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My toddler was not approved for services through CPSE. Our main concern was that he doesn't do well with kids his age, doesn't want to play with them, talk to them or want to have any socializations. What can I do now to help this child? I was hoping we would get some sort of help from the district...

How old is he? It's normal for toddlers to want to play alone and not socialize with other kids.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This could be an anxiety issue.
Is he the oldest or only child? This could be more appropriate if so.
As often as you can invite children over to play.
It may be worth paying someone experienced to observe him and give you targeted advice.

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 3:16 pm
Is he going to a playgroup or a nursery program in a school? If it’s a school they may be able to advocate for him. Also I think there is an appeals process

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 3:26 pm
I believe that you can try again in 6 months. By then it should be well into the school year and if there are still concerns there will hopefully be a stronger case to support them.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 3:58 pm
You can do 1 of 3 things.
1. You can appeal the case, but that is time consuming and may be expensive if you need to get an Ed lawyer involved.
2. You can wait 6 months and try again
3. Or you can go through your child’s insurance. Based on what you're describing, a combination of OT and counseling may be helpful. If you find a good play therapist that takes your insurance, ask them to do an evaluation and they'll let you know if this is what your child needs. Same with OT.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics