Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is this typical?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 6:55 pm
Ive been working somewhere a couple of years. Im super comfortable there. I understand the paperwork, my supplies are there, its a heimish environment.

But, the money is so bad. I also work m-th and have a very flexible schedule.

I got offered a new position for a different non jewish company. More strict, more paperwork, but much better pay. It would only be worthwhile if I work on fridays for them.

Im feeling torn about what to do. I like my new job because I enjoy working with jewish children, but at the same time the money is so bad and we really struggle. I also enjoy not working fridays because thats my only day to be present for my baby and to spend time with.

My husband started a new job this month and BH its going very well. I hope soon we will be able to pay back debt and begin giving maaser again.

My mother was always around for us growing up. Its hard for me to think that I wont be able to take off so easily when my kids are sick, or have a play or performance. But on the other hand I cant complain about how little I make.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 6:57 pm
Sounds typical to me. A more flexible job with less hours (not working Fridays) yields less money. You have to decide what’s the priority to you. Do you really bond with your baby on Fridays? Aren’t you using the time to get ready for shabbos mostly?

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 6:58 pm
Me? Family first.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:08 pm
Another thing to think about is inflation.
Everything is very expensive.
Are you confident in your husband's new job that he will succeed there? (Asking because a different poster's husband just got a new job and she seems hopeful, but he has not had steady income since Covid hit).
Your still in debt, everything is getting more expensive, etc

I'm all for an easier lifestyle but debt is not the answer and I would want to get out of that stat and set up an emergency fund to avoid that in the future before working a part time job with a part time job salary.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:19 pm
Me personally I would stick with the more flexible one.

Do you have other kids?
If yes it sounds easier in your current job.
I would love to have fridays off

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:29 pm
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
Another thing to think about is inflation.
Everything is very expensive.
Are you confident in your husband's new job that he will succeed there? (Asking because a different poster's husband just got a new job and she seems hopeful, but he has not had steady income since Covid hit).
Your still in debt, everything is getting more expensive, etc

I'm all for an easier lifestyle but debt is not the answer and I would want to get out of that stat and set up an emergency fund to avoid that in the future before working a part time job with a part time job salary.

Thats a great question.
Yes its a very lucrative career. He has people calling him and hes booked for the next 2 weeks.
Its a steady income since he works for a company that always gives him jobs.

At my job now I have the option to come fridays. Its a very chilled day bc of shabbos party, and if I work fridays its an extra 800$ a month. So now if Im already thinking of working fridays, should I change my life and move to this new job thats in a non jewish school?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:30 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Me personally I would stick with the more flexible one.

Do you have other kids?
If yes it sounds easier in your current job.
I would love to have fridays off

I have one baby, I wrote "kids" re future kids iyh.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:32 pm
Your current job sounds great.
I would stick unless your situation would warrant it.

Iv learnt that there is no perfect job??

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:34 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Your current job sounds great.
I would stick unless your situation would warrant it.

Iv learnt that there is no perfect job??

that is true LOL

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:39 pm
Im going to repeat-

I have the option to work fridays at my job now. Its veryyy chilled. Shabbos party all day. school ends at 11:45 but still considered working till 12. If I go fridays it about an extra 750$ a month. So now if Im already thinking of working fridays, should I change my life and move to this new job thats in a non jewish school?

Einikel

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:40 pm
Did you discuss your offer with your current employers?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:42 pm
Einikel wrote:
Did you discuss your offer with your current employers?

Not yet. They dont give raises

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:49 pm
Right now your income will be increasing with your husband's new job. See how things develop. If you see in a few months that you really need the income then you can start working Fridays.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im going to repeat-

I have the option to work fridays at my job now. Its veryyy chilled. Shabbos party all day. school ends at 11:45 but still considered working till 12. If I go fridays it about an extra 750$ a month. So now if Im already thinking of working fridays, should I change my life and move to this new job thats in a non jewish school?

Does non Jewish school end at 12 on Fridays?

$750 for 4 Fridays working 3 hours = $750 for 12 hours of work is $62.5 an hour. Thats really good.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 7:59 pm
amother [ Butterscotch ] wrote:
Does non Jewish school end at 12 on Fridays?

$750 for 4 Fridays working 3 hours = $750 for 12 hours of work is $62.5 an hour. Thats really good.

No, its a full day until 3. But im curious if the boss would let me work half a day. Im a social worker

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 8:33 pm
Would you be an employee of the public school system? If so I would assume that would include great benefits (health insurance)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 8:35 pm
amother [ Jean ] wrote:
Would you be an employee of the public school system? If so I would assume that would include great benefits (health insurance)

unfortunately I would not be part of DOE

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 8:37 pm
Personally, I would stick with the current job but work Fridays for the extra cash.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 8:40 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Personally, I would stick with the current job but work Fridays for the extra cash.

Same. Although she didn't mention if she has childcare for Fridays, but I assume she'll work it out the same way she would've at the new job.

Except- you mention your current boss doesn't give raises. Does the new job have more potential?

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 8:41 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics