Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Start a new Yeshiva town?

GLUE

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 9:42 pm
I was just reading in a non Jewish source on how some people are trying to revitalize Toledo OH.

That got me thinking, most Yeshiva towns are ether not yeshivish anymore, or affordable, both or growing to fast.

In about 2000 some people decided that there needs to be a new Yeshiva town and started Waterbury Connecticut. Well from what I hear the town succeeded beyond what the founders thought.

Still, with the way things are going maybe it is time to start a new place.

Right now a lot of people are moving to Cleveland, because it is a yeshivish( some parts anyways)affordable(more then other places)and cheap tuition. According to what I read on Imamother the town is getting to crowded and can't handle all the new people. A big problem many people have when looking for a town is were to move, for many people there really is not any place to move.

So I was thinking maybe start a new Yeshiva town, why not do a place like Toledo OH, it's about 1 hour from Detroit and about 2 hours from Cleveland. It's in OH so there would be some vouchers witch will help keep tuition down. A million $$ gets you about 30 houses there. It only lacks jobs and is a depressed place, but did not Waterbury start like that?

All you wood need to start is a yeshiva to come get some Boucherim and get them to stay after marriage and when they get out of Kollel get them to stay. I mean how hard can this be?(very)

Does this sound even remotely possible? Does this idea even hold any chance that someone would say maybe? Or it is so far off the court not even possible?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 9:45 pm
You need an established yeshiva to open a day school there and maybe a kollel. Then you have a chance. It's currently being done in Tampa. Let's see how that takes off.

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 9:50 pm
Did Waterbury really take off to that extent? That's not what I've heard. I knew lots of people talking about moving there years ago but I only know one person who actually did. And she moved there because her husband got a job in CT and it was the closest frum area (and they aren't specifically yeshivish). My impression is that it's still a rather small community.

GLUE

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 9:59 pm
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
Did Waterbury really take off to that extent? That's not what I've heard. I knew lots of people talking about moving there years ago but I only know one person who actually did. And she moved there because her husband got a job in CT and they aren't specifically yeshivish. My impression is that it's still a rather small community.

The people who I talk to say other wise. I do know a number of yeshivish people who moved there in the last few years. From what I hear the biggest problem is the lack of jobs.
Truthfully the only thing's that I know about that town are what I hear from my friends.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 10:39 pm
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
Did Waterbury really take off to that extent? That's not what I've heard. I knew lots of people talking about moving there years ago but I only know one person who actually did. And she moved there because her husband got a job in CT and it was the closest frum area (and they aren't specifically yeshivish). My impression is that it's still a rather small community.

I have two relative families who live there, both moved there separately and both love it. From what I hear from them the community is booming. Regarding jobs, one works remotely, one works in the school, one works in NY/communities daily and one works in a different city in CT. So it doesn't sound like the city is booming with job opportunities.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 10:50 pm
It’s an interesting idea.
Just want to say that there was a boys high school there (mesivta of Toledo) about 12 years ago.

Which relocated to the Detroit suburbs and is now mesivta of WB.
But that doesn’t take away from your idea at all.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 16 2022, 10:51 pm
Oh, and I’m pretty sure there is a train that goes from NY to Toledo, I guess Amtrak.
So that could be helpful.

DrMom

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 12:20 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Oh, and I’m pretty sure there is a train that goes from NY to Toledo, I guess Amtrak.
So that could be helpful.

I guess it's helpful for occasional visits. But not for commuting; it's a 15 hour ride.

I agree that the frum community is better served by spreading out beyond the NYC area. But it's probably difficult not to feel isolated in a place with very limited Jewish infrastructure. IMO, there has to be a really good incentive (like Cleveland's tuition policy, or a very pleasant climate, or great job prospects).

Rappel

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 1:54 am
You'll need a minyan of families to do it with you, and a halachic leader. Then go do it.

Btw - there are plenty of towns in Israel that also need a vital religious community. They may not be quite as cheap as what you describe, but they're inEretz Yisrael, so it's understandable.

srbmom

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 5:40 am
I think nowadays this needs to be done in close proximity to a very large city. People need good jobs to live a frum lifestyle and we're also to used to our "creature comforts" to live in the middle of nowhere.

Which is why Tampa may actually work. It's a huge city with a major airport (frum people want easy access to travel), shopping and a healthy job market

Kumphort

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 5:45 am
I would love to participate in one. But you need a place that can also support various jobs for working parents.
Unless you only take young families you need school services for a variety of ages
Kosher food expenses go up for every additional stop it has to make.
Kids need to have access to good services for special Ed etc

While these things sound good in theory in practicality it’s not so simple

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 6:02 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I have two relative families who live there, both moved there separately and both love it. From what I hear from them the community is booming. Regarding jobs, one works remotely, one works in the school, one works in NY/communities daily and one works in a different city in CT. So it doesn't sound like the city is booming with job opportunities.

This is true and I think the main reason why the community is still pretty small after 20 years (although it has been growing nicely, by OOT standards). Job opportunities are really limited unless you're in the medical field or teaching.

amother
Ballota

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 6:10 am
more and more people are working on the computer nowadays so some people can be more flexible.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 11:16 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
It’s an interesting idea.
Just want to say that there was a boys high school there (mesivta of Toledo) about 12 years ago.

Which relocated to the Detroit suburbs and is now mesivta of WB.
But that doesn’t take away from your idea at all.

Except for the caller id which still comes up sometimes as Toledo lol

My family thought of moving there in like 1990/91?
I interviewed at BY Detroit at the time.
I know people who live in Detroit who work there
The voucher system is a state wide system and dependent on the local public school so it's not impossible for that to work...

But creating a community takes a lot of work. You can look at Louisville which a few years ago brought in a couple of families to start a kollel and revamp Jewish education. They've been building up their school one grade at a time. If someone is serious about starting a community, that would be a good place to research to see what has and hasn't been working there ..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating