Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Am I knee-socksing wrong?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 8:56 am
My girls, aged 6 and 10, wear knee socks and 3/4 length sleeves. Their classmates and friends do not.
And it's been a few years if I wonder if I'm doing it wrong. Because it take so much effort (not to mention the cost). A typical outfit is a black or denim skirt, a cute 3/4 length t shirt, and cute knee socks (they choose a bunch each season). But it's getting harder and harder to match the tshirts to the socks -- and I'm wondering should I be taking that t's to the knee socks store and only buying matching sets? That's seems like it's going to make a hard job of shopping impossible. And this year I made the mistake of buying tan summer shoes and I don't know if all their denim, black, gray...knee socks match. What color goes with tan? Just white? All and any advice is appreciated...(I didn't grow up with this at all, in case that's not obvious)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:00 am
I would match the socks to the skirts. More straight forward this way. Tan is great. It matches almost anything!

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My girls, aged 6 and 10, wear knee socks and 3/4 length sleeves. Their classmates and friends do not.
And it's been a few years if I wonder if I'm doing it wrong. Because it take so much effort (not to mention the cost). A typical outfit is a black or denim skirt, a cute 3/4 length t shirt, and cute knee socks (they choose a bunch each season). But it's getting harder and harder to match the tshirts to the socks -- and I'm wondering should I be taking that t's to the knee socks store and only buying matching sets? That's seems like it's going to make a hard job of shopping impossible. And this year I made the mistake of buying tan summer shoes and I don't know if all their denim, black, gray...knee socks match. What color goes with tan? Just white? All and any advice is appreciated...(I didn't grow up with this at all, in case that's not obvious)

What do their classmates wear?

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:02 am
I fee like I live on another planet. Maybe I do. I'm OOT. My girls wear l/s tees and knee socks. How matchy-matchy do they have to be? Whatever they put together seems fine to me. If they have a pink tee and there is some same or similar pink on the sock, good enough. If not, white or some neutral color to match skirt (navy, tan) always works.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:04 am
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
What do their classmates wear?

Short socks with sneakers or sandals with no socks.

(The decision to wear knee socks isn't up for debate and BH isn't an issue.)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:06 am
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
I fee like I live on another planet. Maybe I do. I'm OOT. My girls wear l/s tees and knee socks. How matchy-matchy do they have to be? Whatever they put together seems fine to me. If they have a pink tee and there is some same or similar pink on the sock, good enough. If not, white or some neutral color to match skirt (navy, tan) always works.

That's what I've always done but my older daughter is getting really picky about it and I don't want to be oblivious if it's supposed to match more. Also the tan shoes are really throwing me off....can she wear a black slot, a pink tee, and black and pink knee socks with tan shoes? Ditto for denim and pink?

amother
Chambray

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:08 am
Can she wear tan socks that are a good match to the shoes with some things?

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's what I've always done but my older daughter is getting really picky about it and I don't want to be oblivious if it's supposed to match more. Also the tan shoes are really throwing me off....can she wear a black slot, a pink tee, and black and pink knee socks with tan shoes? Ditto for denim and pink?

Can you take your older one to the store and have her pick? Tan shoes can be tricky. My boys have tan sneakers this season but I just pair it with tan, black or white socks regardless of the outfit.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:09 am
Many girls where basically white to everything.

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:34 am
I put white socks with everything.

This seems to be the norm around me.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:38 am
I like to buy denim shoes and denim socks in the summer and it looks great with everything.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:44 am
amother [ Latte ] wrote:

I live very in town and have the same attitude.
My older daughter is old enough to do it 'right' so she does. Otherwise I really don't see the big deal. Noone complaining, everyone has friends.
If not I would get some help from a savvyier neighbor.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:45 am
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
I like to buy denim shoes and denim socks in the summer and it looks great with everything.

What are denim socks?

mom24.7

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:47 am
Black white or denim socks. White socks to white sneakers. Black socks to black skirts and denim to rest.

Optione

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:53 am
My kids have white and light pink sneakers this year. I bought light grey knee socks as per the lady in the store. I imagine it'll work for just about every weekday outfit.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 9:54 am
Actually it seems that in Lakewood (or at least in my little corner of Lakewood) girls are matching socks to their sneakers.

My almost 11 year-old dd's friends all got colored sneakers (Adidas or canvas Converse type) and took them to the sock store to match socks exactly. When dd first told me I was taken aback - 'So you'd wear pink sneaks and socks with your blue and tan outfits which have no pink?' Yup. It seems very odd to this old mother but if they're all happily doing it it's certainly not a style/trend that I need to oppose (there are way too many of those already!).

amother
Clematis

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 11:09 am
I would match the socks to the shoes. I think it looks better that way. Especially a color like tan. If you aren’t chassidish then white only goes with white shoes.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 11:40 am
What kind of tan is the shoe? Like a light beige or nude? Or luggage colored? If luggage, you can wear any color sock to it. If beige, I would stick to light colors like white, cream, pale grey. Some light colored patterns may also be ok.

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 11:43 am
Much easier to match the socks to the sneakers

My kids’ sneakers are white on bottom so they wear white socks.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 11:45 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
What kind of tan is the shoe? Like a light beige or nude? Or luggage colored? If luggage, you can wear any color sock to it. If beige, I would stick to light colors like white, cream, pale grey. Some light colored patterns may also be ok.

It's almost a cognac color loafer. They've been wearing black, white, denim colored and tan socks, but I'm never sure if it goes or not
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics