Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Shpitzelech
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Are shpitzlech exclusive to satmar
Yes 100%  
 11%  [ 14 ]
Not at all. But a lot of satmar wear them  
 50%  [ 61 ]
99%  
 35%  [ 43 ]
50/50  
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 121

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 6:56 am
Women should not get so testy if people post how a tichel is an upgrade over a wig.

No one is looking down on women that wear wigs but to deny reality because you are not wearing a certain level of dress or head covering is a denial of the emes and Torah based reality. If you are wearing a wig for whatever reason that is your personal choice and between you and Hashem but to go and then publicly make it in to an ideal (because you can't wear a tichel) is so wrong. Just admit the truth and move on.

Of course any cloth head covering is an upgrade from a hair one! It doesn't make a woman a better person in all areas because she is wearing a tichel- but it does mean that she is wearing the ideal head covering in halacha (the halachic machlokas was only about wigs with many chashuv Gedolim forbidding them) and hashkafa (cloth is always more modest than any "Hair"). Her head covering is on a higher level and she is doing the mitzvah of kisui rosh in the best way possible.

Btw the Chofetz Chaim famously wrote that it is very wrong for a woman to dress up for her husband in the streets- she should only do so at home. Why should a woman cause other men to stumble because of her appearance because her husband wants her looking beautiful outside in front of other men?? This is called "Achashveirish syndrome"....

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:01 am
98% of women that wear shpitzel is because that's how their mother goes, and it's not because they decided to be better or to 'upgrade'

OP asked a simple question and by now it's off topic

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:08 am
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
Im a satmar shpitzel wearer. I have some elder yerushalmi relatives and they wear only a tichel or upgebinden. So guess it is more of a satmar thing.
And imo, a shpitzel is an upgrade. But that doesnt make me look down at non shpitzel wearers. (If anything, its the other way around) Non of my satmar freinds wear a shpitzel.

As a btw. I read (in a non satmar paper) that just like a man wouldnt cover their head with a wig. So does covering your hair with hair (wig) not make sense.
Tomatoes are welcome.

Why would a man wear a wig anyway? This is a bad analogy.

Genius

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:16 am
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
98% of women that wear shpitzel is because that's how their mother goes, and it's not because they decided to be better or to 'upgrade'

OP asked a simple question and by now it's off topic

I don’t think it matters why they wear it. They are doing the lachitchila thing. The reason I wear skirts is because my mother wears it. If I was true to myself I’d be in leggings and a tank top. Of course the goal is to do the right thing because you believe it’s best for you, but first do.
(I don’t think these two are interchangeable as a sheitel has many heterim but I don’t see how this being true to oneself is so applicable to a Torah life.)

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:20 am
amother [ Stoneblue ] wrote:
Women should not get so testy if people post how a tichel is an upgrade over a wig.

No one is looking down on women that wear wigs but to deny reality because you are not wearing a certain level of dress or head covering is a denial of the emes and Torah based reality. If you are wearing a wig for whatever reason that is your personal choice and between you and Hashem but to go and then publicly make it in to an ideal (because you can't wear a tichel) is so wrong. Just admit the truth and move on.

So, since I follow Chabad and wear a sheitel, I'm wrong? All other Lubavitch women are denying the emes and Torah reality? A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

Genius

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:49 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
So, since I follow Chabad and wear a sheitel, I'm wrong? All other Lubavitch women are denying the emes and Torah reality? A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

No. The Torah has many derachim. It’s ok to say something is not ok for me according to my rabbanim, but is ok for someone else according to theirs and vice versa.

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:52 am

You should follow what your Rabbanim hold. There are many paths in Yiddishkeit and following one all the way with ehrliche rabbanim at its head, is Emes. No need to get defensive.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:38 am
I found an Esteriste advertisment here, but is this what the women wear? Or is this a tichel for indoors?

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:41 am
Nvm found here the other ones, I prefer yerushalmi style tichels, beautiful things like Sury's tbh.
I haven't seen woman walking around with these, You top that on your sheitel?

dankbar

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:42 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
I found an Esteriste advertisment here, but is this what the women wear? Or is this a tichel for indoors?

They wear as headgear for outside, this white one is for shabbos, they have darks for every day.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:43 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Nvm found here the other ones, I prefer yerushalmi style tichels, beautiful things like Sury's tbh.
I haven't seen woman walking around with these, You top that on your sheitel?

No sheitel underneath just instead of plain scarf.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:47 am
It looks like a plain scarf to me except the head piece on the end...... 🤷‍♀️ I like a sphitzel better but that is my opinion

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:51 am
Can you wear an Esteriste on a shpitzel? That should be beautiful.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 9:45 am

The Rebbe didn't hold that a sheitel was a higher madreiga than a tichel.
He just felt that more women would cover properly if they would wear a sheitel.

Which isn't relevant today anymore since people wear falls and some hair out, which is precisely what he was trying to avoid.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 9:51 am
didnt read thru the thread so maybe its a double post but a plain tichel is a an upgrade to a shpitzel (more frum)

amother
Tulip

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 9:57 am
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
didnt read thru the thread so maybe its a double post but a plain tichel is a an upgrade to a shpitzel (more frum)

Perhaps if a turban is an upgrade to a bandana...

Really, once the woman is not wearing a sheital, the differences are mainly about social norms.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 10:06 am
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
The Rebbe didn't hold that a sheitel was a higher madreiga than a tichel.
He just felt that more women would cover properly if they would wear a sheitel.

Which isn't relevant today anymore since people wear falls and some hair out, which is precisely what he was trying to avoid.

I never said the Rebbe said sheitel was "higher level" (whatever that means). I said it is preferable and that most Chabad women (at least that I know) don't wear tichels outside the house.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 10:26 am
I never said the Rebbe said sheitel was "higher level" (whatever that means). I said it is preferable and that most Chabad women (at least that I know) don't wear tichels outside the house.

Correct most Chabad women don't few do the reason is that the Rebbe was afraid that women should feel uncomfortable to wear a tichel and then fold it and put the tichel in a purse, the Rebbe also stressed that women should feel beautiful when fulfilling the mitzvah of hair covering. He once gave a woman at that time 400 dollars for purchasing a sheitel. His mother Rebbetzin Chana a''h always stressed that a bas yisrael darfst ouskuken shein, a daughter of the King should look beautiful.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 10:41 am
amother [ Tulip ] wrote:
Perhaps if a turban is an upgrade to a bandana...

Really, once the woman is not wearing a sheital, the differences are mainly about social norms.

Well there are chasidus that don't low a snood but that is a whole nother discussion.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 10:52 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Can you wear an Esteriste on a shpitzel? That should be beautiful.

I’ve never seen it. But I would be nice!
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels