Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Shaitel macher helper, why don’t people tip
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:28 pm
I know that in many or even all service/ beauty industries the boss isn’t tipped but very often workers who provided a service are given a tip.

I work for a shaitel macher, I wonder why in this industry no one ever tips? I prepare the wigs and the shaitel macher styles it on the clients head… the most I get is a thank you..

octopus

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:32 pm
I don't know why this post really upsets me.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:33 pm
octopus wrote:
I don't know why this post really upsets me.

I’m sorry it upsets you
I’m just asking why this industry is different in frum community then any other hair salon or service
I don’t think theres any issue with me asking, maybe you can unfollow

octopus

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:35 pm
I understand your question and it's perfectly valid. Just life is so expensive I can't imagine more tips on top of everything else.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:38 pm
For me it's because they charge so much, it's so hard to pay. So paying on top of that just doesn't seem sustainable.

amother
Pansy

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:38 pm
Tips have lost their meaning. In restaurants, nail salons etc. what is the point of tipping if they become mandatory?!

I get annoyed tipping my manicurist for a 40 dollar manicure. Kal vchomer tipping the sheitel marcher’s assistant for my 2000+ dollar sheitel.

amother
Wandflower

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:39 pm
I think we should get rid of all tips and advocate for bosses taking less and employees making more. But I agree no reason you aren’t tipped while everyone else is. It’s possible they don’t realize you did the prep because they work with the sheitel macher?

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:42 pm
Because most places you tip it’s something u did as a luxury. To me Sheitel macher is mandatory. And they also became so expensive that I even cut down going

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:44 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Because most places you tip it’s something u did as a luxury. To me Sheitel macher is mandatory. And they also became so expensive that I even cut down going

Tipping is a common practice not only in luxury services

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tipping is a common practice not only in luxury services

Examples of non luxury?

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:50 pm
Examples of non luxury?

Not OP but delivery workers, not exactly luxury no?

amother
Snowflake

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:51 pm
Examples of non luxury?

The grocery delivery guy?

amother
Mimosa

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:51 pm
The frum world doesnt tip. Ever. It's not in our community culture.

amother
Snowflake

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know that in many or even all service/ beauty industries the boss isn’t tipped but very often workers who provided a service are given a tip.

I work for a shaitel macher, I wonder why in this industry no one ever tips? I prepare the wigs and the shaitel macher styles it on the clients head… the most I get is a thank you..

I think you gotta ask your employer for a raise. The prices are over the roof now and there is no way tipping can be incorporated now….

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:55 pm
The tipping system is crazy. I try to not participate. Everyone seems to want their fees/salary plus tips... I just cant do it.
Tips used to be just for added gratiutity, if something was done well or if you were particularly happy. Now everyone gets it and wants it repeatedly. It lost its meaning and now people complain when they dont get!!

Everyone raised their fees now too. So it is incredibly difficult for us.
Especially those of us on set salaries or who by ethical guidelines for our profession cannot just easily raise rates on our existing clients... (and also cannot get gifts or tips from clients due to ethical guidelines).

amother
Wandflower

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 4:57 pm
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:

What? In my frum world people tip and they tip nicely. Don’t understand how you can make that statement

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 5:02 pm
When sm are charging $60-80 for a wash and set, I aint tipping.
She should be paying you properly.

I don't even want her assistant doing my sheitel.
If she is charging me I want the sm special touch.

Tips are for minimum wage workers.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 5:04 pm
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:

Then again, many frum employers pay their workers decently. I'm wondering if that's the case for the OP.

I agree with those who said it's enough we have to pay for the wash and set where the prices really went up, no one wants to add a tip to that. I've been washing my own shaitel for the past several years.

ETA too much of a generalization to say frum people never tip. Some do, some don't. Many tip sometimes.

Last edited by Simple1 on Fri, Jun 17 2022, 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 5:06 pm
amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:
The grocery delivery guy?

Not comparable he’s shlepping boxes some weigh many pounds most of the time up steps hes literally puts it in my kitchen yea I tip

The sm assistant was hired by the sm to help her, I’m paying the sm $60 for a wash and set I ain’t tipping.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 17 2022, 5:07 pm
And if we start tipping sm assistants then why not tip the sales people in the store also?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels