Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Will I lose weight like this?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:26 am
I eat too much starch. I love almost anything that is either mezonos or hamotzie. Danishes, cereal, pasta, challah, pizza, bagels etc are my go to foods. When I opt for healthier it’s oatmeal or sweet potatoes but the main thing is that it’s starch. It goes without saying that I’m not thin.
I’m ready to cut out starch but I’m not ready to give up sugar and fat. That means that I’m saying no to pastries and pizza but I’ll still eat ice cream and cheese. I’ll give up my pasta but I’ll still eat salad with full fat dressing and yogurts too. I’ll be able to have a milkshake and a cheesy omelette.
Will I lose like this? What do you think?

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:45 am
So first, sugar is in fact a carbohydrate, so saying your giving up starch but not sugar is... odd? Also, realistically, are you going to eat more of the sugar and high fat foods to make up for what you're giving up? Be honest about it. Further, being that every gram of fat has 9 calories and every gram of carb has 4 - not sure this is a plan that is going to reduce calories enough to have an impact. I don't know anyone eating cheese omelettes and milkshakes getting thin. I wish.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 12:49 am
I think yes.
I once stopped eating cake and nosh for a month and lost 5 lbs.

Try it and let us know!

4thebooks

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:00 am
Calories in vs calories out. Search online for a TDEE calculator. Put in your info and it should tell you how many calories you need to eat per day to lose weight.
Keep track of your calories by entering everything you eat on the MyFitnessPal app.
It’s better if you eat healthier options over milkshakes and ice cream but I’ve heard people eating junk and still losing weight as long as they stayed in a calorie deficit. Good luck!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:02 am
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
So first, sugar is in fact a carbohydrate, so saying your giving up starch but not sugar is... odd? Also, realistically, are you going to eat more of the sugar and high fat foods to make up for what you're giving up? Be honest about it. Further, being that every gram of fat has 9 calories and every gram of carb has 4 - not sure this is a plan that is going to reduce calories enough to have an impact. I don't know anyone eating cheese omelettes and milkshakes getting thin. I wish.

The calories theory has long been disproven.

It's more about eating good calories.
Lower carb, higher protein and good fats are the way to go.

So yes, if you significantly reduce your carb intake and still have cheesy omelettes and some carbs, I believe you will lose weight.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:04 am
Your best bet is to read some books on nutrition and educate yourself.
There are three macronutrients your body processes to get energy/ calories: fats, proteins and carbohydrates. Ideally you get the nutrients and calories you need by eating a balanced diet made up of good choices of all three. There are better and worse choices in all three categories. Olive oil is healthier than margarine. The fat in walnuts and salmon is healthier than the fat in a steak. Sugar, sweeteners, starchy foods like bread, rice and potatoes are all carbohydrates. The worst carbohydrates are the ones in simple sugars like sugar and honey. Jelly beans, an apple and a bowl of oatmeal all contain carbs, the jelly beans are the worst choice. Fiber also plays a role in the way your body functions and metabolizes food.
Cutting carbs is a good start, but first learn what carbohydrates are and which ones are the most harmful. Knowledge is power, especially if you want to lose weight.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:04 am
Try losing not loosing. May be more successful ✨️

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:08 am
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
The calories theory has long been disproven.

It's more about eating good calories.
Lower carb, higher protein and good fats are the way to go.

So yes, if you significantly reduce your carb intake and still have cheesy omelettes and some carbs, I believe you will lose weight.

It has not long since been disproven. I'm aware of the studies. But go out and ask nutritionists, doctors, fitness trainers what they recommend for their clients. Counting calories. Almost across the board.

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:21 am
amother [ Burntblack ] wrote:
It has not long since been disproven. I'm aware of the studies. But go out and ask nutritionists, doctors, fitness trainers what they recommend for their clients. Counting calories. Almost across the board.

That doesn't mean it works for the clients, it means it works for the professionals. Professional opinion doesn't create reality in any case.

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:28 am
Consider going off refined carbs
No white flour, yes whole wheat flour
No white rice, yes brown rice
No tam tans and snackers, yes to Kedem ww or shibolim
No refined sugars, yes to more fruit
Yes to oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat
No bagels, yes to sprouted grain bread
Etc.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:29 am
It might not so expert opinion I don't think you can lose if you still keep eating lots of sugar. Sounds like keto might be good for you to get a jump start. That would be just fat and protein.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:30 am
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
That doesn't mean it works for the clients, it means it works for the professionals. Professional opinion doesn't create reality in any case.

Agreed. Don’t even get me started.

OP figure out what works for you. Do it. If it works, great. If it doesn’t, tweak til it does.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:31 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Try losing not loosing. May be more successful ✨️

Please. How is this helping?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 5:51 am
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:

Well, it was definitely my reality. Regardless of what I consumed, I still lost weight. As long as I was in a calorie deficit.

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:40 am
What about replacing the white flour with whole grain, and sugar with honey? And having more produce and nuts to leave less room for the carbs?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:49 am
Thanks for all the opinions.
I KNOW that sugar is not good for weight loss. I KNOW that sugar turns into carbs. I didn’t say that I was cutting out carbs because I know that I’m not cutting out carbs if I’ll still be eating sugar.
I want to try starch free because I am definitely eating too many starches.
I try to eat lots of protein because that is supposed to curb my hunger and it’s good for me but I’ll eat 2 pieces of salmon with veggies and I’m not satisfied until I have my pastry. Recently I was trying to be more healthy and I ate a lot of oatmeal since that’s a healthier choice of starch but then later I would eat another bowl of sweetened oatmeal because it’s better than pouring myself a few bowls of sugared cereal…only I sweetened it with so much artificial sweetener so there was just no point really. And then I weighed myself after turning to oatmeal instead of pastries and potatoes instead of pasta since really they are healthier starch choices but I gained a few pounds. So I was thinking- no more starch. I know myself and I just can’t cut out all carbs right now so I wanted to know if anyone has experience with weight loss if I just cut out the starches.
Years ago I was on a fat free diet. Sugar makes you fat but it officially has 0 grams of fat so I was able to eat things with sugar. It was a fad at the time… maybe 25 years ago and everyone was doing it. I lost a little weight but after a year when I started eating fats again, my body didn’t know how to digest it. I developed gallstones and had to have my gallbladder removed. I was really young and that was painful and scary. Bad, bad diet…
I don’t want another bad diet. I don’t want to commit myself to something that I probably can’t stick with. This idea of starch free came to my mind because I know I’m eating too many starches throughout the day and because I THINK/hope I can do it.

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 9:20 am
From my experience, you will lose some, but not quite as much as you may be aiming for. But that is a good first step. I slowly changed my way of eating one thing at a time and although I didnt lose that much weight, I stopped gaining and that is huge to me. Making these types of changes to your diet may have more long term effects (positive) that a full fledge diet. Op, go for it!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 5:30 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Well, it was definitely my reality. Regardless of what I consumed, I still lost weight. As long as I was in a calorie deficit.

What happened after that? Anyone can lose weight but the greater the caloric deficit the more likely you are to regain. Said science. And no I don’t have time to cite it but I wrote a paper on it and it’s true.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 5:32 pm
It’s my opinion that it’s easier to cut it all out than to eat a little of it. If you weren’t eating starch/sugar you’d probably lose the urge to eat multiple bowls of oatmeal and other sweet stuff

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 5:42 pm
andrea levy wrote:
What happened after that? Anyone can lose weight but the greater the caloric deficit the more likely you are to regain. Said science. And no I don’t have time to cite it but I wrote a paper on it and it’s true.

You're asking what happened after that, and yes, of course when you go back to eating a higher calorie diet again the weight creeps back. But I know you lost weight eating keto. It's no different. if you went back to eating carbs like before you'd gain it back too. That's the thing. Whatever anyone does to get success, there is no going back. It has to be lifestyle change, not a diet. That's why it doesn't really matter which method you pick so long as it's the one you can stick with for the long haul. And while eating lower calorie that one would like to forever isn't so easy, for most people it's a lot more doable than giving up entire food groups forever.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise