Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Maalot-Tarshicha
1  2  3  4  Next

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 3:53 am
Last minute change of plans: I think we’re probably moving to Maalot Tarshicha next month, but we don’t have schools yet.

Our children:

Boy, going into 2nd grade. ASD and ADHD diagnoses. Takes meds to control symptoms and receives (in the US) OT, PT, speech, autism consult for his parents and teachers, social skills counseling with school psychologist, and title 1 services for academic support, especially in reading and math. He has made tremendous progress since starting meds, and he is at/almost at grade level in almost every subject as of now. Social is hard for him, he’s extremely sensitive and cries easily. I don’t want him to get lost in the shuffle of a large class.

Boy, going into kindergarten/Gan Chova. Diagnosed with 22q11 (genetic syndrome) involving global developmental delays plus co-occurring ASD, “lower functioning” than his older brother. Still in diapers and unaware of wet/dry, so potty training is not yet on the horizon. Needs a special Ed class, possibly a special Ed school, but personally I would love to see him in a small class with a lot of warmth and encouragement. I believe he has more in him than his current school is bringing out. If repeating grades is a “thing” in Israel, I suspect he will probably repeat Gan Chova, especially since his birthday makes him one of the very youngest in his current class.

Girl, going into kindergarten/Gan Chova. Typically developing, healthy child. Exceptionally bright and socially attuned. Will probably succeed anywhere we put her, but I want to be careful to choose the best possible place for her. She’s extremely smart, but also extremely kind. I want both areas nurtured. I don’t want her to be stuck in a caregiver role to her twin brother, so sending to the same Gan is probably a bad idea. I think it would hold both of them back if I did.

Okay, so does Maalot work for us?

(Please, please, please say yes!!!)

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:01 am
I don't actually know Ma'alot Tarshicha.
But, it's not a big town. A town that size usually doesn't have a lot os SN options. I don't know what is there, but don't get your hopes up.
I did google it and got this page:
https://www.maltar.org.il/%D7%.....D7%A8 Hope it helps.
Keeping in gan chova is a 'thing' here, although in the past few years it's become more complicated but it wouldn't be a problem for you. But I don't think any regular gan chova would take a child still in diapers.

And there is a different town called Ma'alot so don't mix them up.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:09 am
The Maalot I’m talking about is 20 minutes East of Naharia. I think it’s approx. 20 minutes from Karmiel as well.

Worst case scenario my younger son can be bussed to Rechasim, which is the school we’ve already been working with on enrolling him, and it’s the same 45 minute drive that it would have been from Afula. I hope there’s something closer though.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:11 am
Also, and I've said this before: be prepared to fight.
Kiwi13 wrote:
Takes meds to control symptoms and receives (in the US) OT, PT, speech, autism consult for his parents and teachers, social skills counseling with school psychologist, and title 1 services for academic support, especially in reading and math.

You will not get all of this here. And what you will get won't be easy.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:13 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
The Maalot I’m talking about is 20 minutes East of Naharia. I think it’s approx. 20 minutes from Karmiel as well.

Right. Just keep calling it Ma'alot Tarshicha.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:13 am
I’ve been fighting my whole life. Why should I expect to stop now? 🥴

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:15 am
WitchKitty wrote:

Can’t tell if you’re being serious or joking. “Maalot” sounds to me a lot like “Kiryat” or “Mitzpe” - meaning, there are probably a gazillion cities with that as part of the name.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:17 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
I’ve been fighting my whole life. Why should I expect to stop now? 🥴

Like my mom said fighting out my brother's dental work last week: we haven't got this far by being passive.
But you've got a lot already. Isn't starting the fight over exhausting?

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:22 am
I'm probably mistaken anyway, forget what I said. Carry on, call it whatever you like Very Happy

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:33 am
Lol but at least you made this a happening thread! Maybe someone who lives there will chime in. Smile

salt

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:55 am
WitchKitty wrote:

I think the town that is colloquially known as Maalot, is officially called Maalot Tarshicha.
It's where the Hesder yeshiva Yeshivat Maalot is.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 4:56 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Can’t tell if you’re being serious or joking. “Maalot” sounds to me a lot like “Kiryat” or “Mitzpe” - meaning, there are probably a gazillion cities with that as part of the name.
Nope, there is ONE CITY called Maalot. I didnt even know it had the second name to it Smile
Where there was a massacre in 1974, correct?

I just want to say that unless you know there are services in the area, it may not be a good idea. I have no idea, but hopefully someone can help you here.

Also, maalot to rechasim is about an hour. Thats a long distance to travel for services or school. Just pointing out.

But good luck. I do hope you find what you are looking for.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 5:10 am
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....shiha

This is the place. It is a mixed Jewish-Arab city. The Jewish population seems to be Eidot Hamizrach. Not sure if there are any Anglos there.

Kiwi13, they probably have some access to special education and support, all places in Israel do, but it might require long drives to other towns. Also, applying for services will be in Hebrew, bureaucracy is often slow and they might not have much experience in dealing with olim chadashim. Are you in contact with anyone or anything there? Is any immigrant/anglo/aliyah organization helping you? You'll probably need help from someone who knows the system.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 5:14 am
https://he.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....D7%90

Well, I've learned about a new town now Smile

I see that it's a large town, with 4000+ students, and an excellent average class size. With those numbers, I'm willing to guess that there are services in town, or locally, for special kids. But I don't know anyone there.

If you already have a school you trust for your 5 year old DS, I would stick with it until you're more familiar with the area around you. The 45 minute commute is a bummer though. There's no way to move closer to there?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 5:25 am
Maybe you can speak with a realtor about the neighborhood. You don't need to buy from them but if you are serious, you can find out whats going on. They also might know if the community has english speakers. There is a zoom meeting with realtor Kim Bash tonight Israel time at 9.00pm about Katzrin. She might be able to give info also on other communities up north.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 5:29 am
WitchKitty wrote:

Nobody calls it by both names. It's known casually as Maalot. They aren't two different places.

I live near Maalot but not in it. Maalot is beautiful. You would probably end up sending your kids to Chochmat Yisroel or Darkei Chaim in Rechasim or maybe even Tzohar Latohar depending on their level of function. I send my son there too and it's a long ride but well worth it.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 5:31 am
Our realtor literally lives there!! She’s with the Kim Bash team. We originally asked her to help us find a place in Katzrin, which we might go back to just because I know the school situation has a chance of being okay there, but I’m worried about the job market (and medical) thaaaaaat far north. Honestly I don’t like the idea of being so far from the big hospitals and needing to have a car. I won’t be able to drive anyway for at least several months.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 5:32 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Nobody calls it by both names. It's known casually as Maalot. They aren't two different places.

I live near Maalot but not in it. Maalot is beautiful. You would probably end up sending your kids to Chochmat Yisroel or Darkei Chaim in Rechasim or maybe even Tzohar Latohar depending on their level of function. I send my son there too and it's a long ride but well worth it.

Ooh please tell me more about the schools?

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:25 am
OP is there any particular reason you want to move to Maalot?
I think your children’s school needs and your medical needs should come before any other consideration.
How good is your Hebrew? How will you be able to navigate the special Ed systems in an environment that is not familiar with olim and staff who dont know much English?
I have a friend who made Aliyah to Maalot (albeit decades ago) and was miserable because there were so few English speaking families there, they had to travel for school (I think to a BY in another town).
Aliyah is hard, I’m not sure the best thing is to make it even harder by moving to a place that doesn’t have a lot of English speakers with medical and educational special needs.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:42 am
I have family in Ma'alot, it's a very nice place.

You could try asking your question on the Facebook page for their English speakers. It's called Ma'alot English Speaking Community Page. I am sure someone there will be able to help you.

Why not look on the Nefesh b'Nefesh page of listed communities and contact their recommended contact people. They're usually very knowledgeable and helpful.

If you're looking at schooling in Rechasim you could also consider moving to Karmiel. We're about a half-hour drive from Rechasim, then there's another half hour between Karmiel and Ma'alot.

Hope it all works out well no matter which way you go.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions