Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Maalot-Tarshicha
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:46 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
I’ve been fighting my whole life. Why should I expect to stop now? 🥴

It is difficult enough to get these sorts of services in a place that actually has the resources to provide them.

In a town that simply does not offer such services, the amount of fighting you will need to do may not be worth it.

If I were you, I'd start talking to school yoetzot, or other Maalot residents with similar experiences.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:54 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Ooh please tell me more about the schools?

Tzohar Latohar is for children with more significant delays, I.e., Down syndrome, developmental delay, etc.

Chochmat Yisroel is for boys with learning disabilities, emotional problems, language delays, etc.

Darkei Chaim is a branch of Chochmat Yisroel specifically for boys on the spectrum. All the students there are quite high functioning.

Chochmat Yisroel also has ganim for language issues and for ASD.

Kids from all over the north attend all of these schools.

On an unrelated note, for medical issues requiring hospitals, I suggest you stay as far away as possible from the hospital in Nahariya and travel the extra few miles to Rambam. You cannot compare the care you'll get in the two hospitals.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:29 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Tzohar Latohar is for children with more significant delays, I.e., Down syndrome, developmental delay, etc.

Chochmat Yisroel is for boys with learning disabilities, emotional problems, language delays, etc.

Darkei Chaim is a branch of Chochmat Yisroel specifically for boys on the spectrum. All the students there are quite high functioning.

Chochmat Yisroel also has ganim for language issues and for ASD.

Kids from all over the north attend all of these schools.

On an unrelated note, for medical issues requiring hospitals, I suggest you stay as far away as possible from the hospital in Nahariya and travel the extra few miles to Rambam. You cannot compare the care you'll get in the two hospitals.

Thanks for this!

I think we might need to look at places closer to the Mercaz. That’s what everyone seems to be saying once I get into the specifics of what we need. After a year or so, then we can reevaluate moving to the north.

One month from today. That’s our Aliyah date. ONE MONTH FROM TODAY. And I still have no plan.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:31 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Thanks for this!

I think we might need to look at places closer to the Mercaz. That’s what everyone seems to be saying once I get into the specifics of what we need. After a year or so, then we can reevaluate moving to the north.

One month from today. That’s our Aliyah date. ONE MONTH FROM TODAY. And I still have no plan.
what happened with Afula?

Reality

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 1:51 pm
I don't have any concrete help but sending you a lot of hugs! This sounds so so hard!!

What I can tell you as a first year olah is that trying to get services when you don't speak Hebrew is really really hard. I can't imagine doing it without the help of an English speaking representative who will help you. I would really encourage you to move to a place with Anglo friendly services.

lostmyoldSN

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 2:30 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Can’t tell if you’re being serious or joking. “Maalot” sounds to me a lot like “Kiryat” or “Mitzpe” - meaning, there are probably a gazillion cities with that as part of the name.

Na. I'm from Karmiel. The Israelis call it Maalot. Barely ever, do I hear Tarshicha.

What appeals to you about living there?

lostmyoldSN

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 2:33 pm
What do you like about Maalot? I don't know anything about you hashkafically and all that considering I haven't been on here frequently in years, but have you looked into Rechasim? That is THE place in the North for Charedi special-ed from what I've heard.

My daughter has several girls in her class from Maalot. They travel to Karmiel every day to go to school. Does Karmiel interest you? I think there are haasaot to/from Rechasim for special-ed kids. In the city itself, I don't think our special-ed is all that great. But I could be wrong. We do have a lovely community here.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 4:01 am
Marci Eskanazi lives in Maalot. She is a Realtor. english speaker. I assume she can answer ques. about the area. 972-58-525-8200.you can also go in2 FB under KimBash.com Find me a community. They are posting more about places up north. Kim Bash- realtor- 05-444-15-704. english speaking.

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 5:05 am
Can I make a recommendation that you stick to the mercaz at least initially

If you are looking for cheaper housing costs in a charedi community some places to look are into Maaleh Amos, Tel Tzion, Meitzad (they are all over the green line).

If you are fine with Chardal/ RW DL I'm sure there are other recommendations.

I grew up in the north- in my experience with specail needs even if theoretically the services are provided up north the quality between what is available in the mercaz/jlem area is uncomparable.

Dolly151

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 6:09 am
I'm going to second that! The schools in jlem for SN are amazing. Loads of English speaking children go there so it'll be easier on ur kids to move schools to a place that they will feel more comfortable with in terms of language.
Obviously, I'm sure you have your reasons for not choosing the jlem area...

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:17 am
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
Can I make a recommendation that you stick to the mercaz at least initially

If you are looking for cheaper housing costs in a charedi community some places to look are into Maaleh Amos, Tel Tzion, Meitzad (they are all over the green line).

If you are fine with Chardal/ RW DL I'm sure there are other recommendations.

I grew up in the north- in my experience with specail needs even if theoretically the services are provided up north the quality between what is available in the mercaz/jlem area is uncomparable.

Yes. Both Meitzad and Maaleh Amos are small relatively affordable and less in the box yishuvim (assuming this is what’s drawing you up north - also milder summers than elsewhere in Israel) - they have SE schools in Beitar with bussing. I have not had experience with Beitar schools but I gather that they are good.
There is a mother here who send to a special Ed gan in Beitar and has been posting anonymously on the life in Israel forum - if you’re reading this maybe you can share your experience.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:34 am
Okay, okay! You (and my Israeli cousins) have convinced me… we’ll be sticking to the Mercaz.

But can we still be okay in Haifa? Is that central enough? Not sure the ACTUAL mercaz (Jerusalem, RBS, etc) is affordable for us.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:47 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Okay, okay! You (and my Israeli cousins) have convinced me… we’ll be sticking to the Mercaz.

But can we still be okay in Haifa? Is that central enough? Not sure the ACTUAL mercaz (Jerusalem, RBS, etc) is affordable for us.

I lived in Haifa for awhile. Haifa is definitely better than Karmiel or Maalot.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 7:47 am
Haifa is not Mercaz at all. It's north, just not as far north as Maalot.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:03 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Haifa is not Mercaz at all. It's north, just not as far north as Maalot.

It's North. But it's the biggest city in the North. If there's something not available in Karmiel, I'm traveling to Haifa... Bigger city often means more resources.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:08 am
Kiwi13 wrote:

I think so. Haifa is one of the largest cities in Israel.

But I would look into what the city actually has to offer before making a decision.

Side note: With two ASD kids you should be able to get 3000 NIS in disability per month. That will take time to sort out but it is something you should be able to reliably factor into your long-term (after you finish the bureaucracy) budget.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:10 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I think so. Haifa is one of the largest cities in Israel.

But I would look into what the city actually has to offer before making a decision.

Oh for sure. She shouldn't go anywhere until she knows that there are suitable schools for the kids.

I don't know how OP identifies, but Rechasim really has the best special ed in the North if she's Charedi.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:23 am
Kiwi13 wrote:

kiwi, jerusalem and rbs are nog mercaz either really Smile
And nobody has tomove there Smile
Many olim never step foot in those places. But I think people's points were that you should really check this all out before you get here. You really want the north, eh?
You said you are making aliyah in a month. Do you have a starting base? Or is that what you are trying to figure out here?

sequoia

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:31 am
What does your husband think?

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 8:33 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
kiwi, jerusalem and rbs are nog mercaz either really Smile
And nobody has tomove there Smile
Many olim never step foot in those places. But I think people's points were that you should really check this all out before you get here. You really want the north, eh?
You said you are making aliyah in a month. Do you have a starting base? Or is that what you are trying to figure out here?

Let's make some terminology order:

Jerusalem is called Jerusalem.

Tel Aviv and the conglomerate of cities around it are called the Merkaz.

The North is the Galil, and up.

---

The merkaz and Jerusalem both have excellent services, and usually have people in every office that speak English, and that have dealt with olim before.

----
So what schools and organisations do we know of that the OP can use? Once she finds schools, I think we can help Kiwi track down a nearby residence within her budget.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions